Pass interference replay will not return

sdrawkcab321

The XFL had good officiating with one guy in a booth holding an Xbox controller. He was mic'd up the whole time so you could hear what he said to the refs. He would arrive at his decisions in about 30 seconds. It's not rocket science.

If the NFL cares about better officiating they should just do their own version of that. 

• Like 3

I'm 100% fine with it being removed, I thought it worked poorly last season and was ill defined. I don't know that there's a great way to define it better, I think, as others have said, that the "Eye in the Sky" official is the way to go. Give them the ability to buzz down and create a clear and obvious error fast, and that's all that they're doing. On a replay for a fumble or an INT or a catch in question, they can be reviewing it before a challenge even happens. Cut down on the amount of time of the ref going over looking at something and then maybe making the clear and obvious call. It's not that complex a fix, but the system they were using last year sucked and should be scrapped.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Kirill said:

This is the league saying the refs have no idea what they're doing, even with slowed down video replay.

Yes Goodell gave up his salary but don't let him off the hook for this one.

Aren't these decisions made by the coaches and NFLPA?

• Like 1

This was such a great rule thay needs to remain in effect for the sake of the fans. Refs weren't reversing the decisions when clearly many needed to be reversed. Honestly NFL need to keep the rule and drop the hammer on refs who failed to reverse a decision. Players are fined when they accidentally hit someone above the shoulders... so refs should be fined for blatantly calling the game wrong.

5 hours ago, Kirill said:

Yes Goodell gave up his salary but don't let him off the hook for this one.

Why? I, for one, am glad it's gone. It was stupid, slowed the game down unnecessarily, and ended up being the result I expected. 

On 5/7/2020 at 1:37 PM, candyman93 said:

Good God I wish the league would just stand by something. Don’t listen to idiots in the media. They do NOT reflect your audience.

Agreed that the media made reception of this a lot worse. I think there was a lot of willful misunderstanding of the rule when being discussed. A lot of "oh shucks, how are you gonna tell me that's not PI?" When the point is to specifically overturn egregious calls/non-calls, not re-litigate ticky-tack contact.

Was the implementation perfect? No. But the way it was framed certainly didn't help.

• Like 1