Andrew Thomas and Xavier McKinney vs Jedrick Wills and Grant Delpit vs Tristan Wirfs and Antoine Winfield

brownie man

Better pair long term   

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which pair of tackle / safety will be the better pair long term

• Giants Andrew Thomas / Xavier Mckinney
    • Browns Jedrick Wills / Grant Delpit
    • Buccaneers Tristan Wirfs / Antoine Winfeld Jr

These players will always somewhat be intertwined. The tackles were taken within 10 picks of each other. The safety’s were all taken top half of the second round within 13 picks of each other. 

Which combination will be the most productive tandem long term?

im biased but I’m going to go with the Browns. I felt that Wills was the best tackle in the draft, and I think Delpit will have a rebound career from his high ankle sprain and the the player he was in 2018. 

• Like 1

To me it is Wirfs/Winfield Jr all day long.  Wirfs has the most upside of any OL in the draft and is arguably the best athlete of any OL in the draft as well.  He has the most versatility arguably of them all as well, could be a monster OG or could play LT or RT.  Becton, Wills and Thomas could not all play all three of those.  Becton and Wills both are promising traits outside of Wirfs, honestly Thomas to me has the least amount of upside out of those top four OTs.  And Winfield Jr played better than any safety in the nation last year if you consider tackling and coverage in the open field.

Delpit maybe struggled because of injuries but he clearly struggled with tackling and McKinney struggled I felt in deep coverage but was not asked to do it often.  McKinney also comes from a system that highlights the safeties and more than a few have came into the NFL and simply did not do as well in the NFL or play as dominant at the position. 

So the highest upside to me is easily Wirfs/Winfield all day long. 

• Like 4

Winfield was one of my favorite (not necessarily top ranked) players in the entire draft so I've gotta go Wirfs and Winfield. 

I think Thomas and McKinney will both at least be solid but I dont think they have the ceilings of the other pairings. All 3 groups are players I really liked (Delpit only if he plays up to his talent, but the traits are all there). Wirfs and Winfield then Wills and Delpit then Thomas and McKinney. All 3 solid combos

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

To me it is Wirfs/Winfield Jr all day long.  Wirfs has the most upside of any OL in the draft and is arguably the best athlete of any OL in the draft as well.  He has the most versatility arguably of them all as well, could be a monster OG or could play LT or RT.  Becton, Wills and Thomas could not all play all three of those.  Becton and Wills both are promising traits outside of Wirfs, honestly Thomas to me has the least amount of upside out of those top four OTs.  And Winfield Jr played better than any safety in the nation last year if you consider tackling and coverage in the open field.

Delpit maybe struggled because of injuries but he clearly struggled with tackling and McKinney struggled I felt in deep coverage but was not asked to do it often.  McKinney also comes from a system that highlights the safeties and more than a few have came into the NFL and simply did not do as well in the NFL or play as dominant at the position. 

So the highest upside to me is easily Wirfs/Winfield all day long. 

Wills and Thomas could both play guard and RT or LT...so I dont know why that makes Wirfs so special when you say he can do that. Wirfs also prolly has the worst technique out of all the tackles.

Highest upside for tackle goes 1Wirfs 2Wills 3Thomas

Highest upside for Safety goes 1Delpit 2McKinney 3Winfield.

So the best combo to me is Wills/Delpit

Edited by buno67
  • Like 1

I think Thomas/McKinney is the safest option with a high floor while Wirfs/Winfield has the highest upside but biggest risk.  I also think Wills will be very good, but I have Delpit well below all the other five, so that pairing would be last.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Wills and Thomas could both play guard and RT or LT...so I dont know why that makes Wirfs so special when you say he can do that. Wirfs also prolly has the worst technique out of all the tackles.

Highest upside for tackle goes 1Wirfs 2Wills 3Thomas

Highest upside for Safety goes 1Delpit 2McKinney 3Winfield.

So the best combo to me is Wills/Delpit

Did you watch Delpit play this past season, dude sucked and missed a ton of tackles and was a step slow in coverage.  How he won the Thorpe Award I have no clue.  Maybe it was the injury that held him back though who knows, would have loved if he could performed at a pro day or something.

Not sure Andrew Thomas has the power and lower body strength to play guard honestly, Wills maybe but he is better side to side instead of going downhill.  Sure Wirfs is a little raw but his power absolutely blows them all out of the water, only one that can come close to him is Becton in that regard.  And physically Wirfs legs are about as powerful as you could get for any OL to come into the NFL in the past 20 years.  The dude has two legs that are both tree trunks, amazing lower body power and potential he has and that athletic upside puts him over the top for me.  Physically he is just so well put together, solid and strong lower and upper body, dude was a steal.

PS the only safety out of those three who could legit play corner is Winfield Jr, Delpit could not play corner and neither could McKinney.  Not slot corner, outside corner I am talking about, McKinney could maybe hang in the slot on short passes, Delpit not sure he could at all.  To me that puts Winfield Jr up there, because he is better in coverage deep than both of those guys.  

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Did you watch Delpit play this past season, dude sucked and missed a ton of tackles and was a step slow in coverage.  How he won the Thorpe Award I have no clue.  Maybe it was the injury that held him back though who knows, would have loved if he could performed at a pro day or something.

I said highest upside. Out of the 3 safeties, his ‘18 was better than any single season of the other guys. Delpit has the most potential. Just like you said about Wirfs even tho Wills and Thomas greatly out played him this year on the field. 

• Like 1

I think Wills and Delpit. 

I’m a Browns fan, yes. But I did have Delpit rated ahead of Winfield and I also had Wills being the safest OT in the class. There is such a low chance he isn’t at least good. I do think Becton ends up being the best, but there are considerable concerns with him that make him a big risk.

Winfield’s lack of size and injury history concern me. He’s a stud for sure, but I think Delpit can cover more ground and has a much higher ceiling. His tackling issues were overrated IMO. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Thomas / Wills / Wirfs

Delpit / Winfield / McKinney

Wills / Delpit pretty easily for me, but I really liked Delpit.  Think he’s going to be a top Safety with the rest of the Browns D around him. 

This. My only concern is he's on the Browns...lol