2020 Roster Speculations

dll2000

So its still a 53 man roster, but you can have 55 by elevating practice squad players.  But catch I think is you can't keep elevating same guys or they become permanent active players.

It's all kind of confusing.  It is best explained here with a quick search:  https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/5/3/21245216/explaining-the-roster-sizes-and-practice-squad-rules-under-the-new-cba

So for now I will speculatively create 53 slots and 12 PS slots and the 12 PS players will get moved around strategically by Pace and Nagy throughout season.

This is first one - May 7, 2020

QB

1. Foles

2. MT

RB

3. Montgomery

4. Cohen

5. Some vet not on team right now - I don't think they go with Nall as back up RB.  

FB

6. Holtz

OL

7. Leno

8. Daniels

9. Whitehair

10. Ifedi

11. Massie

12. Bars

13. Spriggs

14. Coward

15. Levin

WR

16. Robinson

17. Miller

18. Ginn

19. Ridley

20. Patterson

21. Mooney

TE

22.  Graham

23. Kmet

24. Harris

25. Horstead

DL

26. Hicks

27. Goldman

28. Nichols

29. Anderson

30. RRH

Edge

31.  Mack

32. Quinn

33. Mingo

34. Gipson

ILB

35. Smith

36. Trevathan

37. Woods

38. Iyiegbuniwe

CB

39. Fuller

40. Skrine

41. Johnson

42. Shelley

43. Vildor

44. Tolliver

45. Burns

S

46.  Jackson

47. Gipson

48. Bush

49. Lucas

50. McManis

ST

51. Pat

52. Eddie

53. Scales

PS - Aside from late round draft picks of last two years I have no idea who they will want on PS.  I could be wrong on this because I don't know all current rules on veterans. 

1. Bray - QB

2. Hambright -OL

3  Simmons - OL

4. Mustipher OL

5. Wims - WR

6. Nall - RB

7. Denmark - CB/S

8. Roberson - CB

9. Vaughters - Edge

10. Jenkins - DL

11. Urban - DL

12. ??????

• Like 2

Starting job/roster battles:

QB will be biggest of course.  Most people think it will be Foles.  Some think it is already decided. 

Playing time at WR after Robinson and Miller is up for grabs I think.  

I think Ridley and Wims are battling for one spot with Ridley having leg up being the higher and more recent draft pick.  I think in no way as he actually out played Wims though - ironically in college or pros.  But still is thought of more highly.

You have to think the veteran Ginn is making the team and will probably be #3 unless Patterson improves as a WR.

Patterson makes it regardless because he is best non-kicking ST player in the league and also provides some value as WR and RB.

Mooney makes it because of draft status and gets a shot to impress and earn some playing time in pre-season.

I think Anderson showed well last year at DL in preseason and practice.  I think he makes it this year.

I think Gipson gets 4th edge spot due to draft status.  Vaughters is probably better right now.  They seem to always like Irving, why I don't know.

Our current depth at ILB has not performed great.  They are athletic though.  Hopefully they are better this year.  

Our CB room just got really young overall and kind of small, but tenacious.  That should be one of most interesting camp positions to watch.

I think coaches currently envision our TEs being a rotation Graham, Harris and Kmet.   I believe Horstead and Holtz will make a case otherwise in preseason, whether coaches value practice and preseason play or not remains to be seen.  They didn't care about Bars last year.

OL RG battle I think goes to Ifedi who they have already mentally penciled in there.  Keep a watch on Bars and Levin in preseason and camp though.   I think they have talent.  Of course Coward is defending starter as well.

Spriggs may be most athletic linemen on the entire team.  He just can't play football.  But maybe he figures it out this year. 

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

So its still a 53 man roster, but you can have 55 by elevating practice squad players.  But catch I think is you can't keep elevating same guys or they become permanent active players.

It's all kind of confusing.  It is best explained here with a quick search:  https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/5/3/21245216/explaining-the-roster-sizes-and-practice-squad-rules-under-the-new-cba

So for now I will speculatively create 53 slots and 12 PS slots and the 12 PS players will get moved around strategically by Pace and Nagy throughout season.

QB

1. Foles

2. MT

RB

3. Montgomery

4. Cohen

5. Some vet not on team right now - I don't think they go with Nall as back up RB.  

FB

6. Holtz

OL

7. Leno

8. Daniels

9. Whitehair

10. Ifedi

11. Massie

12. Bars

13. Spriggs

14. Coward

15. Levin

WR

16. Robinson

17. Miller

18. Ginn

19. Ridley

20. Patterson

21. Mooney

TE

22.  Graham

23. Kmet

24. Harris

25. Horstead

DL

26. Hicks

27. Goldman

28. Nichols

29. Anderson

30. RRH

Edge

31.  Mack

32. Quinn

33. Mingo

34. Gipson

ILB

35. Smith

36. Trevathan

37. Woods

38. Iyiegbuniwe

CB

39. Fuller

40. Skrine

41. Johnson

42. Shelley

43. Vildor

44. Tolliver

45. Burns

S

46.  Jackson

47. Gipson

48. Bush

49. Lucas

50. McManis

ST

51. Pat

52. Eddie

53. Scales

PS - Aside from late round draft picks of last two years I have no idea who they will want on PS.  I could be wrong on this because I don't know all current rules on veterans. 

1. Bray - QB

2. Hambright -OL

3  Simmons - OL

4. Mustipher OL

5. Wims - WR

6. Nall - RB

7. Denmark - CB/S

8. Roberson - CB

9. Vaughters - Edge

10. Jenkins - DL

11. Urban - DL

12. ??????

I think Roberson or Denmark will make the 53.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

QB

1. Foles

2. MT

RB

3. Montgomery

4. Cohen

FB

6. Holtz

OL

7. Leno

8. Daniels

9. Whitehair

10. Ifedi

11. Massie

12. Bars

13. Spriggs

14. Coward

15. Levin

WR

16. Robinson

17. Miller

18. Ginn

19. Ridley

20. Patterson

21. Mooney

TE

22.  Graham

23. Kmet

24. Harris

25. Horstead

DL

26. Hicks

27. Goldman

28. Nichols

29. Anderson

30. RRH

Edge

31.  Mack

32. Quinn

33. Mingo

34. Gipson

ILB

35. Smith

36. Trevathan

37. Woods

38. Iyiegbuniwe

CB

39. Fuller

40. Skrine

41. Johnson

42. Shelley

43. Vildor

44. Tolliver

45. Burns

S

46.  Jackson

47. Gipson

48. Bush

49. Lucas

50. McManis

ST

51. Pat

52. Eddie

53. Scales

1. Bray - QB

2. Hambright -OL

3  Simmons - OL

4. Mustipher OL

5. Wims - WR

6. Nall - RB

7. Denmark - CB/S

8. Roberson - CB

9. Vaughters - Edge

10. Jenkins - DL

11. Urban - DL

12. ??????

And what about the veteran John Jenkins we signed?

51 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I'm pretty surprised some of you guys have Roberson getting cut...I see him easily making the roster.

Roberson makes the roster unless he ****s the bed.

If they don't sign, and carry, a third QB I may scream until my lungs bleed. 

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Roberson makes the roster unless he ****s the bed.

If they don't sign, and carry, a third QB I may scream until my lungs bleed. 

I have a feeling your lungs will be bleeding then.  They had their chances to bring in developmental 3rd stringer.  Fromm, McDonald, Stanley, etc.  but they chose not to.  They’re content with Tyler bray apparently.  

Im with you, I’d love for someone else on the roster with a sliver of hope that he could be developed into something worthwhile.  But that’s not happening it appears.  

• Like 2

I think both Roberson and Jenkins will be part of the active roster on gamedays. 

I am working on an analysis of ST snap counts over the last 2 years to see if we can get an idea of how the bottom of the roster might fill out. The 12-man PS and new rules with that will be interesting to consider. I wonder if they could form a platoon of ST contributors rotating in from the PS. 

Regardless, will be interesting to see if Nagy & co. look at the PS changes as a way to enhance roster flexibility or if they continue using it primarily as developmental.

My best guess right now...

QB…Nick Foles…Mitch Trubisky                 

RB…David Montgomery…Tarik Cohen…Artavis Pierce (Not on Roster Vet)

H-Back…J.P Holtz                                                             

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims                           

WR…Anthony Miller…Riley Ridley                            

WR…Ted Ginn Jr…Darnell Mooney…Cordarrelle Patterson (KR/PR/WR/RB)

TE…Jimmy Graham…Cole Kmet…Demetrius Harris

LT…Charles Leno…Jason Spriggs                

LG…James Daniels                                                          

C…Cody Whitehair                                                          

RG…Germain Ifedi…Alex Bars                    

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                      

LE…Bilal Nichols …Trevon McSwain                          

NT…Eddie Goldman…John Jenkins                           

RE…Akiem Hicks…Roy Robertson-Harris                

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Trevin Gipson                            

ILB…Roquan Smith…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                     

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Josh Woods (Not on Roster Vet)                

ROLB…Robert Quinn…Keke Mingo                           

NB…Buster Skrine…Kindle Vildor                              

CB…Kyle Fuller…Tre Roberson…Kevin Toliver

CB…Jaylon Johnson…Artie Burns                              

SS…Tashaun Gipson…Deon Bush                              

FS…Eddie Jackson…Jordan Lucas…DeAndre Houston-Carson

P...Pat O'Donnell

K...Eddy Pineiro

LS...Patrick Scales

I reckon Horsted & Shelley come up from the PS on game days.

Roberson is not getting cut. He was a highly touted player who won't cost anything. There is a reason why nearly half of the NFL showed interest in him.  If any corner should be on the bubble it's Atie Burns. That would be an addition by subtraction.

QB: Mitch, Foles, Bray
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, FA (Dev Freeman, Lamar Miller), Pierce
WR: Arob, Miller, Wims, Ridley, Mooney, Patterson, Ginn
TE: Kmet, Graham, Harris, Holtz, Horsted (Braunecker if he is still on the team)
OL: Whitehair, Daniels, Leno, Massie, Ifedi, Coward, Bars, Spriggs, FA pickup

DL: Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Anderson, Urban
LB: Mack, Quinn, Smith, DT, Irving, Woods, Mingo, Vaughters (Not sure Iggy even makes the team)
CB: Fuller, Jaylon, Skrine, Roberson, Toliver, Vildor
S: Eddie, Gipson, Bush, Brice, Lucas, 

K: Pineiro
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales
G: McManis

--I really want Pace to sign either Freeman or Miller as a stop-gap at RB. Would prefer Miller since his skill set is better suited but either would be a good addition. 

--If teams were able to have a full offseason then I don't think Ginn makes the roster--either that or Patterson and his contract are gone. But seeing as how Miller, Wims, Ridley, and Mooney are still learning and practices are limited this offseason, his experience as a vet is considered an asset. 

--TE looks okay with me (lacking a traditional U tho). Kmet starts as the Y with Harris and Holtz as depth (Holtz can also play the H in certain packages like last year), and Graham as the starting U with Horsted as depth. 

--I'm fine with Idefi as a starter at RG. I just wish we had the money to sign Larry Warford because I would be more comfortable with Idefi as swing RG/RT because our depth looks downright ugly right now. Bars and Coward are liabilities and Spriggs is garbage. 

--DL looks fine. Hopefully Hicks and Nichols can stay healthy this year. 

--ILB depth could be a problem if DT or Smith are out for any extended time but the rest of the group is fine.

--Can't wait to see Fuller, Eddie, Jaylon, Skrine, and Gipson shut down the secondary with good depth behind them as insurances as well.

Edited by JustAnotherFan