2020 Roster Speculations

dll2000

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

@JustAnotherFan unless I'm missing something they do have the money for Warford (assuming he doesn't want a ton).

He's only 28 years old coming off of 3 consecutive pro-bowls. He is going to draw alot of interest around the league and we would have to outbid them all.

Meanwhile we still have to sign the draft picks and prepare for a year with less revenue.

The only way the FO have the money is if he really wants to play in Chicago. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

He's only 28 years old coming off of 3 consecutive pro-bowls. He is going to draw alot of interest around the league and we would have to outbid them all.

Meanwhile we still have to sign the draft picks and prepare for a year with less revenue.

The only way the FO have the money is if he really wants to play in Chicago. 

Won't the draft picks cost next to nothing because of the lack of high selections?

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Won't the draft picks cost next to nothing because of the lack of high selections?

Yes, but we're strapped as it is. Technically, it would only cost (by estimates) $984,942 to sign all of the draft picks since Kmet and Jaylon are the only two picks that would count against the cap and their contracts would cancel out Bray and Wims' contracts. 

Kmet ($1.38M) + Jaylon ($1.18M) = $2.56M

Bray ($795k) + Wims ($774k) =  $1.57M

However, we only have $9,885,129 in total if the season began today. Subtract the $2M needed for off-season money and we have $7,885,129 left, right now. So while that 985k may seem like nothing, it's actually 12.5% of what we have left in offseason spending. 

Granted, this doesn't factor in any possible future releases either (Shaheen, Braunecker, etc,) or any other June 1st cuts.

Also, like I mentioned, teams are going to have to start to strongly take into consider the loss of revenue for the upcoming season which means alot less cap space than was projected, and certainly alot less rollover money from this year. 

I expect Warford to get a 2-3 year deal worth nearly 10 a year. Signing him was nice to think about but it didn't seem possible. At least not without knowing the FO's future plans anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 9:20 PM, Heinz D. said:

Roberson makes the roster unless he ****s the bed.

If they don't sign, and carry, a third QB I may scream until my lungs bleed. 

Bears carried 5 CBs on 53 last year.

Fuller, Johnson, Skrine and Vildor are locks (5th rounders don't get cut in year one).  That's 4 locks.  

So he is competing with Artie Burns who is much closer to a lock than Roberson is,  OurLads is projecting Burns as the starter on our depth chart right now.   He could be with Johnson recovering from surgery all offseason and into start of camp.  

Toliver who has started games for Bears and played well.

And last years draft picks in Shelley and Denmark.  I doubt they want to completely walk away from Shelley this quickly.  They were all super high praise on him last OTAs.  

For just one, or perhaps two, open roster spots.  

I would say he has his work cut out for him to make the team.  

Edited by dll2000

• 3 weeks later...

As for the Roster/PS rules as is typical of the NFL nothing is ever quite as simple and straightforward as it could be when you have to satisfy 32 owners 2000 plus players.  9_9

With the exception of a name or two here or there I'd say DLL's roster is pretty damn close to how it may work out.  With few exceptions we pretty much know who the starters and their primary backups will be.  What we can't predict and allow for now are any camp or preseason injuries (and there will always be some) and a few 1 and 2 year vets who'll ascend and push a 3 or 4 year vet off the team.  There will always be a rotation with those back end of the roster guys.

We also have an expanded PS this year to compliment other more flexible PS rules that were added a couple of years ago so all in all out of the 90 we bring to camp 65 players will make this team in some capacity or another or will be replaced by others we acquire this summer as street free agents.  Now that teams no longer have early cut down dates fewer players are available throughout the preseason so that tells me more of the final 65 will come from that initial 90 man camp roster.

Chicago Bears Cap Totals

Based on Spotrac figures we have a very limited amount of cap space now based on the Top 51 and we are actually over the cap based an All Players. An extension for ARob would likely lower his $15 mil cap hit but other than that we don't have much room to maneuver with once we sign the rookies......or has that been done.  I've lost track.  Any vet additions are likely to be guys willing to come in to compete for a backup role at a vet minimum so I don't expect to see much action on that front other than maybe a vet RB or ILB.

I've read evaluations and positional rankings for each team in the NFCN and IMHO the only spot where others may claim to be decidedly better is at #1 QB but that's somewhat speculative now and we may actually have better QB depth.  Our QB strength may not change all that much from Mitch to Foles or vice versa but with any of the other three the fall off may be much worse.  We should definitely have the top defense although the others may not be that far behind and we look better offensively if our QB woes can be resolved.

Overall I like where we sit.  We're by no means dominant in our division but we also seem to be looked down upon as being weaker than we truly are.  I believe that we can gain a lot of ground simply by better execution on offense and from Nagy learning how not to be under prepared and out coached as much as he was in 2019.  I believe he knows this too and he's taken steps to fix things at the coaching level as well.  He's not a rookie HC any longer and he seems to have built a better staff so now it's time for him to produce as well.