Jim Harbaugh’s College Football Proposal

winitall

Looking jacked doesn’t mean you have a NFL body. Most guys who play football are ripped (except the obvious positions). 

You need the combination of toughness, height, weight, and speed to not get obliterated.

I think you’re downplaying how truly violent the NFL is.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, winitall said:

Hey @ramssuperbowl99, come in here and tell the people about Jonathan Taylor's sophomore season. That man was ready for the league.

Even if the body is ready, HS kids don't know how to mentally prepare for a professional football game. I did some grad assistant stuff back in the day, and the time spent with a dedicated position coach and upperclassmen in the film room and practice field really helps round out their game. 

I'd be open to 2 years and out and a rule that if you go day 3 or undrafted as an underclassmen you could forgo your contract and return. Straight from HS or after 1 year, hell no. NFL coaches wouldn't want that either.

Just to restate my position, I want the kids to get paid. It’s long overdue. If you want to abolish the draft, I understand your rationale behind it.

However, I am definitely against letting 18 and 19 year olds getting killed in the NFL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Even if the body is ready, HS kids don't know how to mentally prepare for a professional football game. I did some grad assistant stuff back in the day, and the time spent with a dedicated position coach and upperclassmen in the film room and practice field really helps round out their game. 

I'd be open to 2 years and out and a rule that if you go day 3 or undrafted as an underclassmen you could forgo your contract and return. Straight from HS or after 1 year, hell no. NFL coaches wouldn't want that either.

If NFL coaches are against it, wouldn't the players just not get drafted? The NFL draft process is pretty thorough. If a guy isn't physically or mentally ready to go to the NFL, they will slip in the draft and go back to school. Giving teams the option to draft Derek Stingley doesn't mean they all of a sudden have to draft everyone.

I feel like my position has gotten somewhat convoluted in here, but this is my position:

NFL teams and coaches know whether a player is ready to play in the NFL after going through interviews and workouts. They aren't going to put a player on the field if they are going to be killed, that doesn't help them at all. If an NFL team thinks a player is ready, and the player thinks they are ready, why keep them out of the league?

7 minutes ago, winitall said:

If NFL coaches are against it, wouldn't the players just not get drafted? The NFL draft process is pretty thorough. If a guy isn't physically or mentally ready to go to the NFL, they will slip in the draft and go back to school. Giving teams the option to draft Derek Stingley doesn't mean they all of a sudden have to draft everyone.

We should be making rules that are best for the majority of the kids, not the select few. QBs and the rare freaks probably will still be taken early. You've got young kids preparing for the draft, are they still going to keep up with their school work to remain eligible in the event they're allowed back? Just things to think about. I don't think the system right now has as many flaws as the NCAA itself, not really something I'd focus on changing.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, MWil23 said:

If nothing else, I'd love to see everyone get behind the "if you don't get drafted, you can come back" rule on paper, but I also think that you'll just see an influx of guys declare early for that reason...but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not so sure about that. Under his proposal if you are drafted in the 6th or 7th you can't go back. So guys that actually have hope of improving their draft stock shouldn't be mass declaring. 

Time for a triple post.

Frankly I think in a hard capped league a draft is absolutely moronic. I don't necessarily like it in the other sports buy I get it. But if you have a hard cap then the only way the best teams outbid for the best players is if they are better while spending less. You should be rewarded for spending wisely and punished for spending poorly. The need to fix the "competitive" balance shouldn't need a draft.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 9:34 AM, JTagg7754 said:

What a ridiculous idea. That would create an unfair advantage to many cities and the rich would only get richer. Why would anyone want to go to an 0-16 team when they can go to a team in the SB the previous year? 

More money, more likely to get playing time, success is cyclical...etc

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mse326 said:

But if you have a hard cap then the only way the best teams outbid for the best players is if they are better while spending less. You should be rewarded for spending wisely and punished for spending poorly. 

7 hours ago, mse326 said:

More money

Reward them for spending wisely. The counter is, well what about the bad teams, or the teams like Green Bay, Buffalo, Kansas City, Detroit who now have to compete with living situations in LA, Miami, New York, Dallas, San Fran, Vegas. The first words out of your mouth, "more money." That is correct, that's how you're going to convince a 20 year old kid that Cincinnati is the better suitor over the beaches in Miami, more cash. We're going to reward teams because they're based in cities with lots to do and that's the parity you want? I'll pass. 

8 hours ago, mse326 said:

More money, more likely to get playing time, success is cyclical...etc

You're assuming every player is the same. If you think people would gleefully sign up to go play in Buffalo, you're going to be wrong 90% of the time I'd be guessing. Why Minnesota, even if they're average, over talking to a bunch of people are making Miami their destination? How well do you feel Minnesota can compete with Miami about drawing players assuming everything is equal? You'd have to give Minnesota more resources to give people to entice them much like Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay etc etc. 

Edited by JTagg7754

It shouldn't be a surprise that most people live in warmer climates

https://www.statista.com/statistics/240766/regional-distribution-of-the-us-population/

This would be the same for almost every team as well. One area seems to be declining every decade while one seems to go in the opposite direction. We don't need any detectives to know why

Edited by JTagg7754

9 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Reward them for spending wisely. The counter is, well what about the bad teams, or the teams like Green Bay, Buffalo, Kansas City, Detroit who now have to compete with living situations in LA, Miami, New York, Dallas, San Fran, Vegas. The first words out of your mouth, "more money." That is correct, that's how you're going to convince a 20 year old kid that Cincinnati is the better suitor over the beaches in Miami, more cash. We're going to reward teams because they're based in cities with lots to do and that's the parity you want? I'll pass. 

9 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

You're assuming every player is the same. If you think people would gleefully sign up to go play in Buffalo, you're going to be wrong 90% of the time I'd be guessing. Why Minnesota, even if they're average, over talking to a bunch of people are making Miami their destination? How well do you feel Minnesota can compete with Miami about drawing players assuming everything is equal? You'd have to give Minnesota more resources to give people to entice them much like Cleveland, Buffalo, Green Bay etc etc. 

Some will be different. Most want the money. And the notion that the top teams will have the money to sign all the top players is absurd.

Also a reminder that if we do away with the draft we do away with slotting. Remember how much Bradford got before slotting even when the Rams were only negotiating against themselves? I assure you there will be plenty of great and good players to go around.

Dudes are going to go to big markets and warm weather.

Look at the NBA.

The Toronto raptors just won a NBA Championship and were able to keep all of their core. They could also pay Kawhi whatever he wanted. Yet, he bolted for a LA team.

• Like 1