Schedule release today

beardown3231

16 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

What inexperienced coaching moves and decisions did he make?

If anything it was lack thereof. They kept most of their staff from 2018 and things got much worse. Who could've saw that coming?

I think he trusted all his returning players to prepare like pros without any competition for their positions or playing preseason.  And held them all but a handful out of contact drills.  He handed Shaheen and Burton jobs despite them missing many practices due to injury and looking like garbage when they practiced.   

Leno got married.

Daniels went back to school, came back weaker and couldn't figure out center position and they kept him there.  

Whitehair had his first baby.

Long was a finished wreck and clearly couldn't play.

Massie was Massie, but was on lower end of his ability.  

Coward came to camp looking out of shape.

I know people do these things regularly, its life, but they CAN be huge distractions for some people.  With how they looked relative to their abilities, I am speculating that these were huge distractions without position competition and pre season to properly expose it.   

O line and TE was a complete mess all though camp and he just went with the incumbents to start season.  And continued to skip the preseason in spite of that.

Team practice was a joke because the defense completely dominated the Bears O front.  That had added effect of ruining MTs and WRs preparation for season.  And Nagy just kept plugging through these drills like it wasn't happening.  Was doing nothing to fix it or address it.  Just bad rep after bad rep for offense.  He needed to stop and reevaluate, isolate problems and coach.   Instead he waited until film I guess to yell at people after the fact.  Doesn't get you back all those reps.   Reps are everything in practice.   Not just reps, QUALITY reps.  He was just doing pointless reps.  Worse negative uncorrected reps.  That is bad coaching.  

He gambled on his guys with eye to keeping them healthy, and it backfired.  Football players need to bang and some need competition or they get complacent and lazy.  This is highest level and if you aren't on your Ps and Qs you will get whooped, which is what happened.

You can see difference in Nagy's attitude this year.   He is going to play preseason and many positions and roster spots are up for legit competition.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think he trusted all his returning players to prepare like pros without any competition for their positions or playing preseason.  And held them all but a handful out of contact drills.  He handed Shaheen and Burton jobs despite them missing many practices due to injury and looking like garbage when they practiced.   

Leno got married.

Daniels went back to school, came back weaker and couldn't figure out center position and they kept him there.  

I know people do these things regularly, its life, but they CAN be huge distractions for some people.  With how they looked relative to their abilities, I am speculating that these were huge distractions without position competition and pre season to properly expose it.   

O line and TE was a complete mess all though camp and he just went with the incumbents to start season.  And continued to skip the preseason in spite of that.

Team practice was a joke because the defense completely dominated the Bears O front.  That had added effect of ruining MTs and WRs preparation for season.  And Nagy just kept plugging through these drills like it wasn't happening.  Was doing nothing to fix it or address it.  Just bad rep after bad rep for offense.  He needed to stop and reevaluate, isolate problems and coach.   Instead he waited until film I guess to yell at people after the fact.  Doesn't get you back all those reps.   Reps are everything in practice.   Not just reps, QUALITY reps.  He was just doing pointless reps.  Worse negative uncorrected reps.  That is bad coaching.  

He gambled on his guys with eye to keeping them healthy, and it backfired.  Football players need to bang and some need competition or they get complacent and lazy.  This is highest level and if you aren't on your Ps and Qs you will get whooped, which is what happened.

You can see difference in Nagy's attitude this year.   He is going to play preseason and many positions and roster spots are up for legit competition.

Lest anyone look it up.  I was publicly in favor of not playing guys in preseason.  I had same exact assumptions as Nagy.  Returning basically 22 starters who knew what they were doing.  Why risk them getting hurt?

Camp would have change my mind though and I only saw small portions of it.  These guys studied every inch of it and still didn't change.  

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1

I am really disappointed that apparently Massie and Leno have no legit competition for OT jobs still.  

Ifedi and Spriggs and Coward and Bars plan seems to be competing for open guard.

I would put all 5 positions up for competition with way they played last year.  Let best performing in practice 5 play.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Is that contact drill thing real? I'm not sure I've heard that.

Who else was supposed to get a job at TE? It's not his fault that's who Pace gave him. If my #3 TE was Braunecker I'd hand Shaheen and Burton jobs, too.

Leno got married.

This is Nagy's fault... how?

That's fair. Daniels was a C at Iowa though, IIRC.

And..?

Then Pace should've had sufficient iOL depth.

He also missed a few games. That's not on Nagy.

He also sucks. Not Nagy's fault.

Let's face it: even if Nagy would've acted like Leno's or Whitehair's jobs were in jeopardy, no one- including those players- would've believed him. They/we would have laughed at him. Now if Pace had drafted or signed or traded for actual football players as back up's, then that's a different conversation.

Preseason wouldn't have made a difference for those horses*** TE's. Burton wasn't participating and Shaheen is a lost cause. That's fair for the OL though.

How do you know this?

What did you want him to do? Tell Sowell to gain weight back and play LT while Leno rides the bench? He had no option but to play Leno.

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

• It's Nagy's fault because you have to adjust to changing circumstance.
  • Its not his fault some guys didn't come to camp ready to play or guys were injured.   But he has to adapt to those situations.  
  • Long should not have played a down in 2019.   I went to one practice and he got whooped so bad he was literally beating himself up and screaming at himself. How can you start that guy when that is happening?  I don't care what his background or rep is.
  • Maybe, maybe, you give Burton benefit of doubt because of past and you were holding him out because injury, but Shaheen did nothing to earn playing time in camp.  
  • You put a stop date deadline on Daniels getting it at center and you put him into some live situations in preseason to test it out.  You don't trot him out there in regular season against Green Bay to get routinely destroyed by Clark and take an L.
  • I know O front was getting destroyed by D front in camp because I went to a practice and saw it myself.  I also watched it happen on YouTube and twitter on various days.  If QB and WRs can't have a decent practice in team then don't run team that way until you fix problems on O front.
  • To me in football you play the guys who are playing best and you don't play guys playing like crap.  No matter name on the back of the jersey.

• Like 1

Schedule did the Bears no favors.Week 7-12 is gonna rough and i'll take 2-3 in that stretch. What should have been one of the easier gimme games, Jacksonville, now may be the most dangerous. Trap game for sure. Bad team in between Minnesota and GB and the 2nd of back to back road games.

Fudge = 0-2 (We may go 1-1 because they still have a poor defense despite all of the money & draft capital that they have poured into it)
Vikings = 1-1 (best overall team in the division)
Lions = 2-0 (They get Stafford back but they haven't beat us in a few years)

^3-3 in the division at worst. 4-2 at best. 

NFC South:
Saints = L
Panthers = W
Falcons = W (although they were better than their record showed last year)
Bucs = L

AFC South
Texans = W
Titans = W
Jags = W
Colts = L

Other games: 
Rams = ??? (flip a coin)
Giants = W

9-11 wins. Conf record, anywhere from 6-6 to 8-4.