Jaguars sign QB Mike Glennon

.Buzz

35 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

lmao at the idea Glennon is somehow going to help Minshew develop.  Unless he's teaching him how to grow a longer neck, i'm not sure what he has to offer...beyond...any other veteran backup out there.

You have to be a good QB to be able to be a solid veteran presence/help a QB develop?

News to me (not that I know how Glennon is in the locker room, but talent has little to do with being able to be a steady mind to help/coach).

9 hours ago, .Buzz said:

You have to be a good QB to be able to be a solid veteran presence/help a QB develop?

News to me (not that I know how Glennon is in the locker room, but talent has little to do with being able to be a steady mind to help/coach).

I mean, sure.  But it's like...you could attribute that to literally any crappy "veteran" backup QB.  It has nothing to do with Glennon, over any other random veteran scrub.  In fact, it's probably the opposite...when you consider whether any particular young QB has really thrived (or even really survived) with Glennon holding the clipboard.  It actually kinda looks like the opposite tbh.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, sure.  But it's like...you could attribute that to literally any crappy "veteran" backup QB.  It has nothing to do with Glennon, over any other random veteran scrub.  In fact, it's probably the opposite...when you consider whether any particular young QB has really thrived (or even really survived) with Glennon holding the clipboard.  It actually kinda looks like the opposite tbh.

They clearly aren't bringing in Glennon to do anything other than that and likely had their pick of all the other crappy backups as you say there are. So clearly they have heard something or know something about him as a teammate/what they think he can do for their QB room that is likely better than the alternatives. 

The most recent QBs he's backed up were Mitsubishi, Josh Rosen who got dealt after one year and looked like trash in a new situation in Miami as well, and a 28 year old Derek Carr. It's not like a backup QB is going to miraculously make a bad QB good. It's just about finding someone that you think can be a positive behind a young QB in their development.

8 hours ago, .Buzz said:

They clearly aren't bringing in Glennon to do anything other than that and likely had their pick of all the other crappy backups as you say there are. So clearly they have heard something or know something about him as a teammate/what they think he can do for their QB room that is likely better than the alternatives. 

The most recent QBs he's backed up were Mitsubishi, Josh Rosen who got dealt after one year and looked like trash in a new situation in Miami as well, and a 28 year old Derek Carr. It's not like a backup QB is going to miraculously make a bad QB good. It's just about finding someone that you think can be a positive behind a young QB in their development.

Of course a backup QB isn't going to turn a bad QB into a good one.  Some are certainly better than others at helping a young QB learn and grow though, and Glennon doesn't exactly have any established reputation or track record of doing that as some other vets have built up.  Ultimately, it's pretty much assumed that they're not actually trying to bring in a backup QB who they think is going to hurt or sabotage Minshew's growth.  xD

I'm just laughing my *** off at it, because it's such a dumb, vapid platitude to even mention in a tweet like that.  It's fluff at best.  With an outside chance of straight up idiotic back-patting or horse trading PR spin for scoops at worst.  For something that's pretty much assumed basic common practice around the league.  Young QB in a new offense - bring in an experienced vet clipboard holder.  Duh.

38 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Of course a backup QB isn't going to turn a bad QB into a good one.  Some are certainly better than others at helping a young QB learn and grow though, and Glennon doesn't exactly have any established reputation or track record of doing that as some other vets have built up.  Ultimately, it's pretty much assumed that they're not actually trying to bring in a backup QB who they think is going to hurt or sabotage Minshew's growth.  xD

I'm just laughing my *** off at it, because it's such a dumb, vapid platitude to even mention in a tweet like that.  It's fluff at best.  With an outside chance of straight up idiotic back-patting or horse trading PR spin for scoops at worst.  For something that's pretty much assumed basic common practice around the league.  Young QB in a new offense - bring in an experienced vet clipboard holder.  Duh.

I would much rather have a vet backup who's been around the league for a while than Dobbs and a rookie for Minshew.

As far as the tweet...it's pretty basic tweet for being exactly what it is. Idk, don't really see a problem.

5 hours ago, .Buzz said:

I would much rather have a vet backup who's been around the league for a while than Dobbs and a rookie for Minshew.

As far as the tweet...it's pretty basic tweet for being exactly what it is. Idk, don't really see a problem.

I'd rather have a veteran backup too.  The idea of going into the season with Minshew/Dobbs/Luton was even more stupid than risking going into last year with Foles and Minshew in the first place.  I'd just rather a better "vet backup presence" than Glennon, he of "drafted because he tall" fame.  That isn't even really the point though...

It's just an absolutely hilariously stupid tweet.  Like reading from a sheet of buzzwords and spin.

When Jaguars sign Vet QB because they have none in the room with Foles gone ---> "This will surely help Minshew grow as a quarterback".  Copy/Paste.

It's just ******* stupid "reporting", or it's more insidiously team-driven "reporting".  Either way.  That's the problem.