NFL's biggest individual choke job

sammymvpknight

NFL's biggest individual choke job  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the biggest choke in NFL history? Realize that I'm only keeping it to players, and I'm only keeping it to particular plays (not careers, or entire games). I understand that people may have differing opinions of the term "choke". As guidance, I'm going to define "choke" as the player was overcome with emotion based on the magnitude of the situation which resulted in a mistake that they otherwise wouldn't make.

• ​​​​​​​Az-Zahir Hakim’s muff, Saints vs Rams, 2000 NFC wild card game
    • Tony Romo’s botched snap, Cowboys vs Seahawks, 2007 NFC Wild Card
    • Gary Anderson’s missed FG, Vikings vs Falcons, 1998 NFC Championship Game
    • Stevie Johnson’s drop, Bills vs Steelers, 2010 Regular season
    • John Kasay’s kickoff out of bounds, Panthers vs Patriots, Super Bowl XXXVIII
    • Leon Lett’s fumble, Cowboys vs Dolphins, 1993 Regular season
    • Brett Favre’s INT, Saints vs Vikings, 2009 NFC Championship Game
    • John Carney’s missed PAT, Saints vs Jaguars, 2013 Regular season
    • Marcus Williams’ missed tackle, Saints vs Vikings, NFC division
    • Scott Norwood missed FG, Bills versus Giants, Super Bowl XXV
    • Jackie Smith dropped pass, Cowboys versus Steelers, Super Bowl XIII
    • Lin Elliott missed field goal, Chiefs versus Colts, 1996 AFC division
    • Earnest Byner’s fumble, Browns vs Broncos, 1987 AFC Championship game
    • Jim Marshall’s fumble recovery, Vikings versus 49ers, 1964 Regular season
    • Joe Pisarcik’s fumble, Giants versus Eagles, 1978 Regular season

To me , it's all based on what happened to the team or player afterwards

Leon Lett's fumble had no significance to game Dallas was already up 52-17 

It's not Gary Anderson yes he missed it but Moss dropped an easy td earlier (Admitted by Moss himself) and Randle getting hurt hurt the defense he was the heart of the defense and the falcons oline protected Chris pretty well and was able to hit a wide open Jamal Anderson late

To me it's Ernest Byner ( I don't why it put me voting Gary thou lol)

Had he not fumbled the Browns more than likely win and Marty might of gotten in Hall of Fame at this point and Cleveland would of stayed in Cleveland 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I always go back and forth on whether the Norwood FG miss was a "choke." Heart crushing because it had enough leg, but a 47 yard FG? That was a long FG for 1990. Between 1994 and 1996 (as far back as PFR's play finder goes) the conversion rate on 47 yard FGs was 57%, and there were only 37 attempts. It was likely even lower in 1990. Where as nowadays, kickers convert on 73% on such field goals and they are attempted regularly (148 such tries since 2017). Most of these chokes are routine/easy plays that were inexplicably screwed up. Norwood hitting that FG would have been one of the greater kicks of all time up to that point had he made it.

It's been a while since that one but I always thought it was a closer fg than 47. Yeah 47 is/was no chip shot, that's for sure.

Gary Anderson was perfect all year, was playing in a dome and that kick sends Minnesota to the Super Bowl. Cris Carter was so dejected over this loss he cried and contemplated retirement. You simply cannot vote for anything else.

Edited by Elky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I always go back and forth on whether the Norwood FG miss was a "choke." Heart crushing because it had enough leg, but a 47 yard FG? That was a long FG for 1990. Between 1994 and 1996 (as far back as PFR's play finder goes) the conversion rate on 47 yard FGs was 57%, and there were only 37 attempts. It was likely even lower in 1990. Where as nowadays, kickers convert on 73% on such field goals and they are attempted regularly (148 such tries since 2017). Most of these chokes are routine/easy plays that were inexplicably screwed up. Norwood hitting that FG would have been one of the greater kicks of all time up to that point had he made it.

It's why I have a hard time tagging any K who misses a single big kick as a "choker" - especially a relatively tough one, like Norwood's (and I think it's worth pointing out that it was hardly a complete honk, as well - a yard or so left and he has a statue of himself in front of Buffalo's City Hall). Something like the game where Mason Crosby missed 5 FG or whatever, THAT would be a choke job. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fidgit said:

Whoever the punt returner was in the 2011 NFC championship game for the 49ers. Didn't he fumble like 2 or 3 times in the 4th quarter and overtime?

Kyle Williams. Fumbled three times in the game I believe, including the two punt returns

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chuck80 said:

Had Earnest Byner not fumbled the Browns more than likely win and Marty might of gotten in Hall of Fame at this point and Cleveland would of stayed in Cleveland 

True, but that, to me is tempered by Byner's box score: 

15-67-1 rushing, 7-120-1 rec. Kevin Mack and Brian Brennan fumbled, and Kosar threw an int. I find it tough to pin the loss on the player who was more valuable as any other player on the field that day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chuck80 said:

Leon Lett's fumble had no significance to game Dallas was already up 52-17 

It's not Gary Anderson yes he missed it but Moss dropped an easy td earlier (Admitted by Moss himself) and Randle getting hurt hurt the defense he was the heart of the defense and the falcons oline protected Chris pretty well and was able to hit a wide open Jamal Anderson late

To me it's Ernest Byner ( I don't why it put me voting Gary thou lol)

Had he not fumbled the Browns more than likely win and Marty might of gotten in Hall of Fame at this point and Cleveland would of stayed in Cleveland 

Using this definition though how is it not Marcus Williams? Instead of Wrapping up Diggs which potentially could have ran out the clock denying the Vikings any chance of a FG he tried to use his body, missed and lets Diggs walk into the endzone for a game winning touchdown as time expires in the play offs. 

That was a play that should easily be made 9999/10000. 

The ref throwing the flag for Diggs tossing his helmet was classic.

Edited by ILoveTheVikings
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Fidgit said:

Whoever the punt returner was in the 2011 NFC championship game for the 49ers. Didn't he fumble like 2 or 3 times in the 4th quarter and overtime?

Kyle Williams multiple mistakes definitely make him a major contender. The kicks are all unfortunate And the timing/ pressure makes it look bad but there’s a snap, hold and rush that can make a tiny miss on the mark for the kick can be huge.  But fumbles, especially in sudden death situations and multiple are usually on one guy and luck isn’t a factor. 

• Like 1

Where is the bills? They managed to choke 4 times in a row? That is a dynasty of choke.

Sorry misread the post. Thought it said not limited to just players, bla, bla. Thought I would leave the post though since it is the biggest series of fails of all time.

Edited by Vorsutus