NFL's biggest individual choke job

sammymvpknight

NFL's biggest individual choke job  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the biggest choke in NFL history? Realize that I'm only keeping it to players, and I'm only keeping it to particular plays (not careers, or entire games). I understand that people may have differing opinions of the term "choke". As guidance, I'm going to define "choke" as the player was overcome with emotion based on the magnitude of the situation which resulted in a mistake that they otherwise wouldn't make.

• ​​​​​​​Az-Zahir Hakim’s muff, Saints vs Rams, 2000 NFC wild card game
    • Tony Romo’s botched snap, Cowboys vs Seahawks, 2007 NFC Wild Card
    • Gary Anderson’s missed FG, Vikings vs Falcons, 1998 NFC Championship Game
    • Stevie Johnson’s drop, Bills vs Steelers, 2010 Regular season
    • John Kasay’s kickoff out of bounds, Panthers vs Patriots, Super Bowl XXXVIII
    • Leon Lett’s fumble, Cowboys vs Dolphins, 1993 Regular season
    • Brett Favre’s INT, Saints vs Vikings, 2009 NFC Championship Game
    • John Carney’s missed PAT, Saints vs Jaguars, 2013 Regular season
    • Marcus Williams’ missed tackle, Saints vs Vikings, NFC division
    • Scott Norwood missed FG, Bills versus Giants, Super Bowl XXV
    • Jackie Smith dropped pass, Cowboys versus Steelers, Super Bowl XIII
    • Lin Elliott missed field goal, Chiefs versus Colts, 1996 AFC division
    • Earnest Byner’s fumble, Browns vs Broncos, 1987 AFC Championship game
    • Jim Marshall’s fumble recovery, Vikings versus 49ers, 1964 Regular season
    • Joe Pisarcik’s fumble, Giants versus Eagles, 1978 Regular season

8 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

Can we include Andy Reid and the 02’ Eagles losing to the freakin’ Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the NFCCG?

As a Packers fan growing up the Eagles converting that 4th and 26 always made me so mad seeing it again and again over the years. Feel like the Packers had a solid team that year

Where is Blair Walsh's FG kick vs Seattle?

I'm not even a Vikes fan and that one really hurt me to the core seeing that bad of a miss.  What a grudge match of a game to end like that.

Reminds me of the grudge match of Cardinals/Hawks 6-6 tie.  Go in to OT only to have both teams missing very close FG's near the end

Were the laces in or something?

Edited by Zalixar

22 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

I thought for sure that was gonna be one. We had 3 alone in one game. 
1. Jeremy Hill fumbles the ball on the last series where all we had to do was kill the clock. 

2. Burfict takes off ABs head

3. Pac-Man draws a penalty getting in a refs face putting the Steelers in FG range

Heartbreaking for sure.  Was there in the stands.  But that's not even the Bengals best nomination.

That distinction clearly belongs to Lewis Billups when he dropped an easy INT in Super Bowl XXIII.  Montana hit Rice the very next play to tie the game (Bengals kicked a FG on the next drive, but then the Montana drive that ended with the pass to Taylor won it).  If Billups holds on, we win that game most likely.  The next possession was a ball controlled drive, chewing up clock.  That FG would have given us a 10 point lead with less than a minute to go.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Heartbreaking for sure.  Was there in the stands.  But that's not even the Bengals best nomination.

That distinction clearly belongs to Lewis Billups when he dropped an easy INT in Super Bowl XXIII.  Montana hit Rice the very next play to tie the game (Bengals kicked a FG on the next drive, but then the Montana drive that ended with the pass to Taylor won it).  If Billups holds on, we win that game most likely.  The next possession was a ball controlled drive, chewing up clock.  That FG would have given us a 10 point lead with less than a minute to go.

Oh man, Ya, just watched it. Thats a lot worse than a lot on this list

I still got Gary Anderson. Perfect all year, very make-able Field goal on a 15-1 Vikings team

44 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Yeah totally forgot that one. Thanks for reminding me 

2 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

As a Packers fan growing up the Eagles converting that 4th and 26 always made me so mad seeing it again and again over the years. Feel like the Packers had a solid team that year

Great win, but then they completely choked against Carolina. All for naught lol

7 hours ago, Zalixar said:

Where is Blair Walsh's FG kick vs Seattle?

I'm not even a Vikes fan and that one really hurt me to the core seeing that bad of a miss.  What a grudge match of a game to end like that.

Reminds me of the grudge match of Cardinals/Hawks 6-6 tie.  Go in to OT only to have both teams missing very close FG's near the end

Were the laces in or something?

Haha. Walsh was such a tease...One of the best kicking seasons in history as a rookie and then.... What's sad or funny depending on who you root for is that the Vikigns appear in a lot of these scenariosxD. Some good some bad but we are featured@!

Edited by ILoveTheVikings

3 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Matt Dodge should be on this list he had one job kick the ball out of bounds instead he kicks it right too Desean causing miracle at the meadowlands 2.

He was cut the next day never to be heard from again

He grew up and went to high school down the street from where I live. Still give him 💩 or a smirk everytime I see him back in town. Good times, good times!🍺

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TakeTheBallDeep said:

I am the person who tries to remind everyone that "the other team is getting paid too" but letting someone convert a 4th and 26 is inexcusable. That game, along with the '07 and '14 NFCCGs, are the more frustrating losses in my fandom. Not to mention, earlier in the game, Sherman decided not to go for it on a 4th and 1 after failing on an earlier 4th and 1; and Favre's idiotic int in OT. 

I feel like GB has left at least a handful of playoff wins on the table in the past 25-ish yrs. And I'm not talking stuff where they ran into a better team or a close one didn't go their way, but games where the win was RIGHT THERE and they just did the worst thing(s) possible to lose it. 

6 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Matt Dodge should be on this list he had one job kick the ball out of bounds instead he kicks it right too Desean causing miracle at the meadowlands 2.

He was cut the next day never to be heard from again

I wasn't sure if wanting to include him was just my Giants fan bias haha, but I guess it wasn't.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 9:01 PM, Elky said:

Gary Anderson was perfect all year, was playing in a dome and that kick sends Minnesota to the Super Bowl. Cris Carter was so dejected over this loss he cried and contemplated retirement. You simply cannot vote for anything else.

While I understand your point, the Vikes had a lead with just over 2 min remaining...does their entire defense get a 'pass'??

Whereas Vanderjagt, who had NEVER missed a post season FG in the RCA Dome, and he shanked that 46 yd FG...hard...again. in a Dome, so it's not like he needed to acct for win, OR try to overpower it in anyway; It would have missed from like 30 yds, so the distance wasn't really an issue.

But almost more importantly, their was no time left on the clock to do anything, and that would have tied the game...putting it in overtime.  And there's no doubt...Indy had the momentum in the 2nd half.