NFL's biggest individual choke job

sammymvpknight

NFL's biggest individual choke job  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Who had the biggest choke in NFL history? Realize that I'm only keeping it to players, and I'm only keeping it to particular plays (not careers, or entire games). I understand that people may have differing opinions of the term "choke". As guidance, I'm going to define "choke" as the player was overcome with emotion based on the magnitude of the situation which resulted in a mistake that they otherwise wouldn't make.

• ​​​​​​​Az-Zahir Hakim’s muff, Saints vs Rams, 2000 NFC wild card game
    • Tony Romo’s botched snap, Cowboys vs Seahawks, 2007 NFC Wild Card
    • Gary Anderson’s missed FG, Vikings vs Falcons, 1998 NFC Championship Game
    • Stevie Johnson’s drop, Bills vs Steelers, 2010 Regular season
    • John Kasay’s kickoff out of bounds, Panthers vs Patriots, Super Bowl XXXVIII
    • Leon Lett’s fumble, Cowboys vs Dolphins, 1993 Regular season
    • Brett Favre’s INT, Saints vs Vikings, 2009 NFC Championship Game
    • John Carney’s missed PAT, Saints vs Jaguars, 2013 Regular season
    • Marcus Williams’ missed tackle, Saints vs Vikings, NFC division
    • Scott Norwood missed FG, Bills versus Giants, Super Bowl XXV
    • Jackie Smith dropped pass, Cowboys versus Steelers, Super Bowl XIII
    • Lin Elliott missed field goal, Chiefs versus Colts, 1996 AFC division
    • Earnest Byner’s fumble, Browns vs Broncos, 1987 AFC Championship game
    • Jim Marshall’s fumble recovery, Vikings versus 49ers, 1964 Regular season
    • Joe Pisarcik’s fumble, Giants versus Eagles, 1978 Regular season

On 5/9/2020 at 7:51 AM, Chuck80 said:

To me , it's all based on what happened to the team or player afterwards

Leon Lett's fumble had no significance to game Dallas was already up 52-17 

It's not Gary Anderson yes he missed it but Moss dropped an easy td earlier (Admitted by Moss himself) and Randle getting hurt hurt the defense he was the heart of the defense and the falcons oline protected Chris pretty well and was able to hit a wide open Jamal Anderson late

To me it's Ernest Byner ( I don't why it put me voting Gary thou lol)

Had he not fumbled the Browns more than likely win and Marty might of gotten in Hall of Fame at this point and Cleveland would of stayed in Cleveland 

Yes. The Vikings squandered multiple opportunities to bury the Falcons before it even came down to Gary's kick. 

• Like 1

For me it will always be Roger Craig's fumble in the 1990 NFC Championship. I don't know if the 49ers beat the Bills the following week without Montana, but if Roger simply holds on to the football, 49ers have a good chance to move on to the Super Bowl. And he coughed up the rock on a 1st down too. Giants still had all of their timeouts though, and the fumble occurred with around 2 minutes 30 seconds left so who knows. Giving the Giants the ball back that early, around mid field was a death mark that came to fruition though. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 1:18 AM, wackywabbit said:

I don't get the Gary Anderson answer at all. That was not even close to a deciding play. They still had the lead after that miss. Way too much is made of that miss.

I have not heard any valid arguement for why Cundiff's chip shot miss was not far worse.

SnivelingAchingHake-max-1mb.gif

^ Losing the AFCCG in the last 20 seconds when you got to the 10 yard line and OT was considered the worst case scenario 1 minute ago.

Yup. The game wasn't over. The Vikings defense crumbled in OT. 

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 3:57 AM, MossyMoss said:

not sure to blame the coach for calling it or Russell for throwing it 

Throwing was the right call. NE was in a goalline defense, and the play wasn't a play where Russ can "not throw it". It's just get the ball and throw the slant. Guy made a better play, end of story.

On 5/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, wackywabbit said:

I don't get the Gary Anderson answer at all. That was not even close to a deciding play. They still had the lead after that miss. Way too much is made of that miss.

I have not heard any valid arguement for why Cundiff's chip shot miss was not far worse.

SnivelingAchingHake-max-1mb.gif

^ Losing the AFCCG in the last 20 seconds when you got to the 10 yard line and OT was considered the worst case scenario 1 minute ago.

In this same vein (I agree that Cundiff's kick was far worse in terms of a choke job than Anderson's), I wonder how much Joe Flacco's career would've changed if Rahim Moore batted down that hail mary.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:14 AM, thebestever6 said:

Matt Dodge should be on this list he had one job kick the ball out of bounds instead he kicks it right too Desean causing miracle at the meadowlands 2.

He was cut the next day never to be heard from again

That game put GB in the playoffs instead of the NYG. Ugh

• Like 1

Leon Lett's fumble has always been overblown to me especially what happened to both teams after that game. The Dolphins lost every game after that and missed the playoffs, the Cowboys won out and became back to back Super Bowl champs. It's all funny and something to laugh at but I'm sure the Dolphins weren't laughing with how their season ended. They were 9-2 after that game and ended up 9-7 missing the playoffs.

Edited by bootsy
  • Like 1