Saints release G Larry Warford

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Yea because those 2 comparisons are similar.... hahaha 

Dont worry, @Raves gave me the answer i was looking for and not the sarcastic, nonsensical one like what you gave me. 

Thanks.  Also the Saints IMO have proven to be pretty good talent evaluators on the OL.  Strief, Armstead, Ramzy, McCoy, Nicks, Evans, Brown, and many more.  If there is one position that if the Saints draft high that I don't worry about, it's the OL.  We went from losing Unger to replacing him with someone who was as good if not better as a rookie.  Now if this was any other position, yeah I would have 0 faith that they actually found a replacement/upgrade as their hits on other positions have been pretty poor overall when drafting high.

• Like 5

Just now, Raves said:

Thanks.  Also the Saints IMO have proven to be pretty good talent evaluators on the OL.  Strief, Armstead, Ramzy, McCoy, Nicks, Evans, Brown, and many more.  If there is one position that if the Saints draft high that I don't worry about, it's the OL.  We went from losing Unger to replacing him with someone who was as good if not better as a rookie.  Now if this was any other position, yeah I would have 0 faith that they actually found a replacement/upgrade as their hits on other positions have been pretty poor overall when drafting high.

I do agree that they hit on OL. McCoy was a great pick, and i think Ruiz will be as well. The getting more athletic and getting their OL outside makes a ton of sense with the release. Ruiz and McCoy both move extremely well.

4 minutes ago, Raves said:

The Saints have are in a position where an Alex Smith type QB will be more than enough for them.  With a great OL and weapons on offense like Kamara that can turn anything into a home run, granted I wish we still had Ingram over Murray, but overall they got options there.  Plus let's not forget I doubt that Winston will be the player he was in Tampa if they resign him and give him the opportunity to start.  Winston has tons of talent, no one can ever deny that, but whether he can put it together mentally has been the question.  If a year under Brees/Payton the Sainst are comfortable turning the reins over to him, I think that is a good sign.  Plus at worst, it would be 1 year with no QB for the Saints, which most players signing next offseason would do so with the belief the Saints have an answer in place, they can still go find someone after that without much issue.

The joke is if anyone wanted to play for them it should be this year. trying to pretend like jameis winston will somehow he a good qb in the nfl is interesting mental gymnastics though.

4 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

The joke is if anyone wanted to play for them it should be this year. trying to pretend like jameis winston will somehow he a good qb in the nfl is interesting mental gymnastics though.

You know, people would've said the same thing about Alex Smith after his first contract... then he did pretty well with better coaching... now I'm not banking on Winston being good, but he has the talent and if the coaching can turn him into a great QB, awesome, if not, well we have Hill that our coaching staff seems to be enamored with not to mention guys like Derek Carr who I think is underrated, and will likely become a FA after this upcoming season, as i think an offense like the Saints would be ideal for him.

Saints fans got spoiled with Brees man. The drop off from him to literally almost any replacement QB is massive. This year is kinda it for them imo. Coming up short the last two years with Drew freaking Brees at QB, and some expect to be contenders with Jameis or some other replacement? Delusional. We all have to rebuild eventually. Saints have been legit for a while, and they've also been staring down this Brees retirement barrel for a while too. Time to pay the bill, post 2020-21 for NO.

2 hours ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Please explain how cutting a proven former probowl player, who was still playing above average and replacing him with a completely unproven 20 year old makes you better? 

Now i dont think it was a "bad" move because the team needed cap space. But every team in the league needs depth at OL, and the Saints just got worse by losing theirs. 

He wasn't very good last year.

1 minute ago, MookieMonstah said:

Warford wasn't good last year? Him and Peat were both average. Warford got abused against Minnesota, he's a huge reason they lost that game.

Abused is an understatement.

47 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Saints fans got spoiled with Brees man. The drop off from him to literally almost any replacement QB is massive. This year is kinda it for them imo. Coming up short the last two years with Drew freaking Brees at QB, and some expect to be contenders with Jameis or some other replacement? Delusional. We all have to rebuild eventually. Saints have been legit for a while, and they've also been staring down this Brees retirement barrel for a while too. Time to pay the bill, post 2020-21 for NO.

Teddy B went what 5-0 as a starter for them and continued to improve with more confidence in the offense when Brees was out... A talented QB that can mentally grasp the offense will be successful period.  Guys that can't will be ran out of the QB room because Brees and other QBs that understand the offense will drill them into the ground and make them leave if they don't step it up, plain and simple.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JMG5 said:

Still bothers me we extended Peat.

They only extended Peat because they knew that they couldn’t lose both OGs this year without interfering with continuity. The Saints had every intention of either trading or cutting Warford this offseason. He came into the season out of shape and Sean Payton simply doesn’t put up with that. McCoy was a stud last year but struggled at times with the calls and line adjustments. That’s Ruiz’s forte. McCoy will move to RG, Ruiz will start at center, and the Saints will continue to have a top OL. We’ve seen this story over and over again. The Saints know what they are doing on the OL. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1