Saints release G Larry Warford

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

@Dome, can he still play?

Yeah. And even looks great at times...

I think he has senioritis and maybe doesn’t want to put in the hard work any more, and sometimes you can tell he’s on autopilot 

getting cut could change his outlook and spark a fire 

At worst you’re getting a quality veteran in the twilight of his career, potentially getting a motivated vet capable of being one of the best in the league 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, EagleBlueDon said:

All for an NFC contender getting worse!

Are you referring to whoever signs him?

38 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I have to assume NO allocates that savings to another FA, right? They should be all in right now with no guarantee Brees keeps playing the game past this season. 

It might've been for who they have already signed/still need to resign.  Also I think most have already figured that Brees is done after this year.  So either Hill or Winston would be the favorite to take over for him next year.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

This probably makes them better tbh.

Please explain how cutting a proven former probowl player, who was still playing above average and replacing him with a completely unproven 20 year old makes you better? 

Now i dont think it was a "bad" move because the team needed cap space. But every team in the league needs depth at OL, and the Saints just got worse by losing theirs. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

Please explain how cutting a proven former probowl player, who was still playing above average and replacing him with a completely unproven 20 year old makes you better? 

Now i dont think it was a "bad" move because the team needed cap space. But every team in the league needs depth at OL, and the Saints just got worse by losing theirs. 

More than likely McCoy is moving to OG and Ruiz is going to play Center which is his better position.  The Saints want a more mobile OL to be able to run pulls/screens better with Kamara in the backfield.

21 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

So you're saying no one smart would sign there for longer than this season?

Why would that be the case?  Even though those 2 would be the favorites for the position, the Saints have a lot of great young players on both sides of the ball so signing with the Saints with the long term in mind isn't bad.  Even if Hill/Winston fail in the year after Brees, they'll probably be a 6-9 win team based on the overall talent and they can go from there to look for a better option at QB.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CHOMP_CHOMP said:

I remember when KC moved on from Alex Smith after back to back pro bowls... man they really regretted that, letting unproven Pat Mahomes take over 

(Yes I know that Ruiz isn’t Mahomes... but referring to Larry Warford as a “Pro Bowl Player” is like calling Taysom Hill a QB.. it’s only technically true)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, EagleBlueDon said:

Just don't see how cutting a proven starter and replacing one of the 5 starters with a rookie makes it a better unit. But hey what do I know?

on an unrelated note what's going on with jason peters?

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

I’m surprised they cut him.  Financially it made sense I guess, but with this virus stuff going on they haven’t really had pro days or any mini camps.  Who knows if Ruiz is where he needs to be to start...  I suppose they could start Nick Easton at one of they spots until he’s ready, but Easton is more of a back up level player.

38 minutes ago, Raves said:

Why would that be the case?  Even though those 2 would be the favorites for the position, the Saints have a lot of great young players on both sides of the ball so signing with the Saints with the long term in mind isn't bad.  Even if Hill/Winston fail in the year after Brees, they'll probably be a 6-9 win team based on the overall talent and they can go from there to look for a better option at QB.

A team with no QB is a disaster regardless of the young talent. 

38 minutes ago, Dome said:

I remember when KC moved on from Alex Smith after back to back pro bowls... man they really regretted that, letting unproven Pat Mahomes take over 

(Yes I know that Ruiz isn’t Mahomes... but referring to Larry Warford as a “Pro Bowl Player” is like calling Taysom Hill a QB.. it’s only technically true)

Yea because those 2 comparisons are similar.... hahaha 

Dont worry, @Raves gave me the answer i was looking for and not the sarcastic, nonsensical one like what you gave me. 

4 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

A team with no QB is a disaster regardless of the young talent. 

The Saints have are in a position where an Alex Smith type QB will be more than enough for them.  With a great OL and weapons on offense like Kamara that can turn anything into a home run, granted I wish we still had Ingram over Murray, but overall they got options there.  Plus let's not forget I doubt that Winston will be the player he was in Tampa if they resign him and give him the opportunity to start.  Winston has tons of talent, no one can ever deny that, but whether he can put it together mentally has been the question.  If a year under Brees/Payton the Sainst are comfortable turning the reins over to him, I think that is a good sign.  Plus at worst, it would be 1 year with no QB for the Saints, which most players signing next offseason would do so with the belief the Saints have an answer in place, they can still go find someone after that without much issue.