Saints release G Larry Warford

RaidersAreOne

Just now, ET80 said:

I think you're thinking very optimistically about it. I also think you're underplaying Bridgewater, who would have still been an NFL starter had his knee not went out. 

Plug and play makes sense on paper, but we have many examples of this failing.

Bridgewater is the epitome of Alex Smith.  A good but not elite QB. So he might've still been a starter, but no potential for an elite QB and likely an early exit in the playoffs.  Winston at the least, has the ability to be an elite QB, partly why he was previously a #1 overall pick in the NFL Draft, and Hill... I dunno he's Payton's pet.  I'm more than willing to give a benefit of a doubt to a coaching staff that has identified Tony Romo(Payton with the Cowboys), Brees (capable of coming back from injury), Bridgewater (got a great contract to start after no one else gave him a chance), etc than I would other teams.  I also think for the Saints their roster overall could be a Tampa Bay/Ravens type roster that could win with a mediocre QB after Brees retires due to their strengths elsewhere.  This is more my belief of the overall roster than an individual position.  Granted if they start losing key players at multiple positions, but until this happens that shouldn't be factored in.

Being as honest as possible: would you guys rather have Peat-McCoy-Ruiz or Warford-McCoy-Ruiz, for the same price? I always thought Peat was a mediocre player and Warford was a decent one, but lots of opinions here. Why’d they opt for Peat over Warford?

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Being as honest as possible: would you guys rather have Peat-McCoy-Ruiz or Warford-McCoy-Ruiz, for the same price? I always thought Peat was a mediocre player and Warford was a decent one, but lots of opinions here. Why’d they opt for Peat over Warford?

I honestly would've probably preferred Warford over Peat in the regular season, but Peat can move out to LT when needed, Warford can't, and Warford has had conditioning issues since he's been with the Saints...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I'd imagine the versatility with Peat played a role as he frequently fills in for Terron Armstead at LT when he gets injured each every year. It seems they are trying to get more athletic on the OL as well, which suits Peat more than Warford.

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I heard a lot of good things about Alex Cappa (that's such a football name haha) back in college.

I'm surprised to hear he's underwhelmed.

He didnt play his rookie year, but last year was his first year and he was solid. I dont think we’re going to give up on him yet. Def his job to lose moving forward. Just not sure how much he improved in year 3.

Edited by indifference

5 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean it’s telling that the Saints couldn’t even get a conditional 7th for the guy.

I think it’s more like teams don’t want to pay a guard 8M+ When they know he’s gonna got cut and they can sign him for less 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Last year? Warford. He’s been more healthy than Peat. But after hearing that Warford struggled with conditioning...and struggled a bunch last year...I understand them keeping Peat. Peat is still young and has a higher upside. 

I’m probably one of the few people who actually believe that Taysom Hill will be the starter next year (as in 2021). And if he is, Peat actually makes a bunch of sense. He’s very good as a power run blocker and he’s mobile. Constantly out of shape and slow Warford can’t be that guy in RPO. If that makes sense. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I think it’s more like teams don’t want to pay a guard 8M+ When they know he’s gonna got cut and they can sign him for less 

There are 16 guards making over $8m per year. I don’t think a team would scoff at paying a quality guard $10m 

Sean Payton said Warford would compete for his job. Several Saints twitter writers speculated that Ruiz would attempt to beat out McCoy but could fight for Warford’s job if he didn’t beat out McCoy, some guys speculated Nick Easton ($5.3m backup) would be cut to save a few million and Ruiz would become the reserve for one year instead while other speculated McCoy would take Warfords job and Ruiz/Easton would compete for the starting center spot, this one was the winner.

There was definitely not a guarantee Warford was going to be cut. 

Edited by Dome

18 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

We had one extra starting caliber OL after drafting Ruiz, so instead of using Ruiz as depth I guess they decided to save money. The starting OL will probably be Armstead/Peat/McCoy/Ruiz/Ramcyzk.

Better hope for no injuries 

14 hours ago, Raves said:

You know, people would've said the same thing about Alex Smith after his first contract... then he did pretty well with better coaching... now I'm not banking on Winston being good, but he has the talent and if the coaching can turn him into a great QB, awesome, if not, well we have Hill that our coaching staff seems to be enamored with not to mention guys like Derek Carr who I think is underrated, and will likely become a FA after this upcoming season, as i think an offense like the Saints would be ideal for him.

Bruce Arians is pretty well regarded offensive mind to say the least, and theres a pretty good argument that Winston isnt a great fit in NOs offensive system. Hes a decent backup, but if something happens than have fun.

Not a big surprise and makes the Ruiz draft pick absolutely key.

Pretty good starting OL with Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Ruiz and Ramcyzk, easily one of the best in the NFL in terms of a starting 5.  I assume McCoy stays at center and Ruiz is at guard and if that for some reason does not work they still have Nick Easton who could play guard.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Pretty good starting OL with Armstead, Peat, McCoy, Ruiz and Ramcyzk, easily one of the best in the NFL in terms of a starting 5.  I assume McCoy stays at center and Ruiz is at guard and if that for some reason does not work they still have Nick Easton who could play guard.  

Nah they are going to shift McCoy to guard and play Ruiz at C. McCoy struggled to make some calls at the line and the Saints think McCoy will be a better guard.

18 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Bruce Arians is pretty well regarded offensive mind to say the least, and theres a pretty good argument that Winston isnt a great fit in NOs offensive system. Hes a decent backup, but if something happens than have fun.

And it's been shown before that numerous QBs have had their highest turnover potential years in their 1st with Arians, not just Winston.  

48 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think McCoy is moving to Guard and Easton/Ruiz will duke it out for the C spot and the loser plays backup to all 3 IOL spots