HYPOTHETICALLY IF... cowboys Rescinded Franchise Tag

The_Slamman

Okay beaches, it’s the off-season and we are many months away from start of season.  So, let’s have some fun...  Dak is set to account for about $32M against the cap for 2020.  Before rookies are signed, the Boys have about $10M in cap space.  Hypothetically if Dallas rescinded The franchise tag on Dak making him a free agent and we have $38-40M under the cap... what players could we add that would make us SB worthy?  Who is available and at what projected cost even on a one year deal?

Dak will come crawling back willing to accept a $30 million per offer over 5 years because there would be no market for him right now in 2020

Lets not forget, no Texas state tax plus the advertising $$ being the Cowboys starter adds up to a lot more than an extra few million playing for Jacksonville or some other sad sack team in need of a QB

• Like 1

To answer your question, I would look at trading for, and extending Jamal Adams, Throw some cash at Clowney for 1 year and look for a corner we can snag for depth on a 1 year deal

The rest can be cap rollover to 2021 to pay Dalton or another QB

I'd offer Clowney a 1 year $17 mill deal. Trade a 2021 2nd, 2022 3rd and either Connor Williams, Jordan Lewis or Cheeto for Jamal Adams.

Now that I have Clowney, I would cut Crawford to save $8 million.

Roll over the extra $22 mill for next year.

Edited by CAPJ

3 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Okay beaches, it’s the off-season and we are many months away from start of season.  So, let’s have some fun...  Dak is set to account for about $32M against the cap for 2020.  Before rookies are signed, the Boys have about $10M in cap space.  Hypothetically if Dallas rescinded The franchise tag on Dak making him a free agent and we have $38-40M under the cap... what players could we add that would make us SB worthy?  Who is available and at what projected cost even on a one year deal?

None. 

But I will play your game:

~$25mish to Cam Newton and then try to find a way to get Griffin. 

48 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Nothing. Even several of the biggest Dak haters are saying to “roll over” cap saving. Absolutely priceless, the idea that rolling over cap savings could be viewed as more valuable than Dak.

I dont think it's more valuable than Dak but was just playing the game.

As much as I'm for not paying Dak $35 million plus, I wouldnt rescind the tag now that most of the real impact free agents are gone.

23 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I dont think it's more valuable than Dak but was just playing the game.

As much as I'm for not paying Dak $35 million plus, I wouldnt rescind the tag now that most of the real impact free agents are gone.

That's why the cap rollover is valuable

There will be impact Free Agents next year, and we'd have money for them

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Nothing. Even several of the biggest Dak haters are saying to “roll over” cap saving. Absolutely priceless, the idea that rolling over cap savings could be viewed as more valuable than Dak.

The way I took the situation was Dallas rescinds the tag and Dak is a free agent, what players does Dallas sign excluding Dak. 

Guys, with $40m, I would target the following:

Clowney- 1 year $17M (he made $15M last year.  He’s not finding the market he wants.  $17M is about right).

Griffen- 1 year $10M (he made $8M last year.  He’s 32 and gets a good pay day for a one year deal).

David Mother Effing Irving-  1 year $4M (homeboy will get reinstated and will accept a prove it deal).

Larry Warford-  1 year $8M (he made $8M last year).

That would be a SB contending defense to combine with a ground control offense.  I not kidding... I would run with that over having Dak this year.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Slamman said:

Guys, with $40m, I would target the following:

Clowney- 1 year $17M (he made $15M last year.  He’s not finding the market he wants.  $17M is about right).

Griffen- 1 year $10M (he made $8M last year.  He’s 32 and gets a good pay day for a one year deal).

David Mother Effing Irving-  1 year $4M (homeboy will get reinstated and will accept a prove it deal).

Larry Warford-  1 year $8M (he made $8M last year).

That would be a SB contending defense to combine with a ground control offense.  I not kidding... I would run with that over having Dak this year.  

Shocked d'oh!

• Like 1