HYPOTHETICALLY IF... cowboys Rescinded Franchise Tag

The_Slamman

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2020/05/10/analytics-show-making-dak-prescott-the-highest-paid-qb-in-nfl-history-is-a-bad-idea-for-the-cowboys-its-the-right-thing-to-do/

“In a story on The Ringer, it was noted how the last Super Bowl winner to have two players take over 20% of the salary cap was the 1994 49ers, with Steve Young and Jerry Rice at 21.6%

In 2020, Prescott, should he play under the tag, and Amari Cooper, with his new contract, will take up a combined 25.9% of the salary cap.

The Cowboys expect to reach a Super Bowl with Prescott at quarterback with the understanding his salary will take a good chunk of their cap in the future. The past with other teams dictates that’s not a good thing.

But for the Cowboys, this is the right thing.”

What a great point. I never thought about it like that. History shows it’s a mistake so it’s the right way for us.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I am significantly less concerned by % of cap given the constant rise in the cap. Something to monitor and be aware of in the fringes, but not cripple progress. 

Unknown financial implications from the coronavirus pandemic might force the NFL to reduce the 2021 salary cap by as much as 50 percent, ESPN's Adam Schefter reported.

With uncertainty around the 2020 season, including whether fans will be able to attend games at any point, and other revenue-tied variables up in the air, the NFL enters the summer months planning for the limbo that could follow next offseason.

https://www.reuters.com/article/football-nfl-21-salary-cap-coronavirus/nfl-21-salary-cap-to-shrivel-due-to-covid-19-idUSKBN22I2HI

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2020/5/6/21239133/how-much-salary-cap-could-drop-2021-coronavirus-pandemic-ticket-price-attendance-revenue-schefter

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020/05/06/sports/football/06reuters-football-nfl-21-salary-cap-coronavirus.html

Spending big now because you think you might have more money later isn’t very smart. That’s not how you manage your credit cards is it? “Oh I don’t have much money now, but let me put this 10k purchase on my sapphire because I’m expecting a possible raise soon hopefully maybe.”

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Spending big now because you think you might have more money later isn’t very smart. That’s not how you manage your credit cards is it? “Oh I don’t have much money now, but let me put this 10k purchase on my sapphire because I’m expecting a possible raise soon hopefully maybe.”

Dude, your quoting game is so terrible lately. Giant empty spaces. You are so much better than this. lol

And, I read the concern that Adam posted. I actually thing that is ownership propaganda, honestly. The NFL will likely be the first sporting league that will go into full effect again. Even still, we saw that the draft was the most watched draft in history. The NFL is exceptional at protecting it's brand.

I think it is a pretty good bet the Salary Cap will also increase. But, like I said, it is something to consider - but I would not clutch pearls over it.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2020 at 8:29 AM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I am significantly less concerned by % of cap given the constant rise in the cap. Something to monitor and be aware of in the fringes, but not cripple progress. 

The percentages arent the issue so much as all the young guys that have been paid. Last time this team overpaid for a team of players that underachieved over and over again, they followed up with three 8-8s and a salary cap predicament.

And no the problem was not Romo and his cap hit but rather the others. Bradie James, Ratliff, Marion Barber, that safety whatever his name was, Miles Austin, Kyle Kosier, Brandon Carr, and others. Mediocre to somewhat good players we paid out heavy duty money too, essentially locking up mediocrity. 

I fear we did that again here, paying guys huge contracts after a good year or so as if they were all timers out there. Jaylon, Collins, to a point Zeke, to a point Cooper, Crawford, it's like repeating our past by paying guys huge paydays after a good year as if they are top 5 talents of their position. That is more detrimental to the team than paying 35m to the QB. Cause now that QB is stuck with these guys who may not be as good as their contracts suggest. Ask Romo how that worked out during his career.

11 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

The percentages arent the issue so much as all the young guys that have been paid. Last time this team overpaid for a team of players that underachieved over and over again, they followed up with three 8-8s and a salary cap predicament.

And no the problem was not Romo and his cap hit but rather the others. Bradie James, Ratliff, Marion Barber, that safety whatever his name was, Miles Austin, Kyle Kosier, Brandon Carr, and others. Mediocre to somewhat good players we paid out heavy duty money too, essentially locking up mediocrity. 

I fear we did that again here, paying guys huge contracts after a good year or so as if they were all timers out there. Jaylon, Collins, to a point Zeke, to a point Cooper, Crawford, it's like repeating our past by paying guys huge paydays after a good year as if they are top 5 talents of their position. That is more detrimental to the team than paying 35m to the QB. Cause now that QB is stuck with these guys who may not be as good as their contracts suggest. Ask Romo how that worked out during his career.

You comparing Jaylon, Zeke and Cooper to guys like Barber, Kosier, James and Austin is a damn shame. The only contract you should compare to them is Crawford. And that's only because hes been injured more than he has played. Definitely not worth that amount hes being paid. But everyone else you mentioned signed pretty team friendly deals minus Cooper but then again he did take less to remain a Cowboy. 

And that safeties name was Ken Hamlin

Sad that this topic/thread turned into a Dak is the greatest thread again. 

Looking at the question we could be much better off short term rescinding the tag and signing the additional players. Long term with age of our backup QB and the way our team has been built we need a good QB. I think Signing Clowney and another QB would be the route to start on if the franchise tag is rescinded(which we all know it wont be). 

On a side note(but right on topic evidently), no one is saying we should not sign Dak just that we shouldn't break the bank over him. When you look at the offer of being the highest paid player ever in the NFL and he has declined, that says all we need to know. We have to look at other options at this point. 

Just a quick question that I want all the Dak apologists and the Dak realists to answer. 

Does Dak make Amari and Zeke better or does Amari and Zeke make Dak better. No answer need to say they all make each other better or they compliment each other. If Dak is out for the year will we have more wins than if Zeke or Amari is out for the year? I think we all know with our current WR's Amari would probably come up 3rd but with Zeke out Dak has proven he cannot win and struggles mightily in the absence. Zeke will also struggle without Dak but making Dak the highest paid will cripple us for years no matter how much the salary cap goes up. 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:05 AM, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Dude, your quoting game is so terrible lately. Giant empty spaces. You are so much better than this. lol

And, I read the concern that Adam posted. I actually thing that is ownership propaganda, honestly. The NFL will likely be the first sporting league that will go into full effect again. Even still, we saw that the draft was the most watched draft in history. The NFL is exceptional at protecting it's brand.

I think it is a pretty good bet the Salary Cap will also increase. But, like I said, it is something to consider - but I would not clutch pearls over it.

How could they justify the massive projected increases though?  Seems unrealistic at this point.

On 5/19/2020 at 7:55 AM, cowboyfanin2890 said:

Does Dak make Amari and Zeke better or does Amari and Zeke make Dak better. No answer need to say they all make each other better or they compliment each other. If Dak is out for the year will we have more wins than if Zeke or Amari is out for the year? I think we all know with our current WR's Amari would probably come up 3rd but with Zeke out Dak has proven he cannot win and struggles mightily in the absence. Zeke will also struggle without Dak but making Dak the highest paid will cripple us for years no matter how much the salary cap goes up. 

From what the games have shown us, Dak plays without Zeke and/or Amari the guy struggles. 

1 hour ago, Northland said:

What's the plan for the QB position if Dak signs his tender this year and next and then leaves?  Who is our starting QB in 2022?

Depends on who comes out. If anything, I franchise #4 again and try to work a trade so we get some kind of return for him.