HYPOTHETICALLY IF... cowboys Rescinded Franchise Tag

The_Slamman

1 hour ago, buddy_z34 said:

More than likely Mike McCarthy drafts a QB next year. 

I can see McCarthy drafting a QB most years.  I think he likes to have a QB to develop and if you get someone productive they can be traded for picks or they may get starting time in Dallas.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Depends on who comes out. If anything, I franchise #4 again and try to work a trade so we get some kind of return for him.

It's an option.  It's a gamble.  It takes time to find and develop a QB.   Call me crazy I honestly think with McCarthy the offense and Dak will thrive.  I'm a worse case scenario thinker.  I just don't want a revolving door at QB should we move on from Dak or he decides to move on from Dallas.  I don't want to be pinning my hopes on another mid round pick, free agent, or some other club's castoff.   My argument can be turned around on me.  Locking up Dak for the dollars that are being discussed can handcuff the team at certain positions.  I get it.  None of us really know how much money is actually being talked about.  I won't be surprised if there is an 11th hour deal struck.  I'm rambling now but I think the question is how valuable is the QB position and is Dak that valuable?

On 5/21/2020 at 5:19 PM, Northland said:

It's an option.  It's a gamble.  It takes time to find and develop a QB.   Call me crazy I honestly think with McCarthy the offense and Dak will thrive.  I'm a worse case scenario thinker.  I just don't want a revolving door at QB should we move on from Dak or he decides to move on from Dallas.  I don't want to be pinning my hopes on another mid round pick, free agent, or some other club's castoff.   My argument can be turned around on me.  Locking up Dak for the dollars that are being discussed can handcuff the team at certain positions.  I get it.  None of us really know how much money is actually being talked about.  I won't be surprised if there is an 11th hour deal struck.  I'm rambling now but I think the question is how valuable is the QB position and is Dak that valuable?

Paying Dak does not handcuff this team. This teams core has already been paid. If you believe Jaylon, Lawrence, Collins, Martin, Tyron, Zeke and Cooper are your core stars and worth their money, and guys like LVE, Gallup, Jarwin, Lewis, Woods, William's and the other young picks are set to take the next step and/or be paid in the future as other older vets come off the cap, than Dak does not handcuff you

Daks contract hinders you only if all those guys you paid are more like the guys from 2019 and not 2018, and you need to replace them. In.which case you handcuffed yourself by paying those guys who were not worth the money.

Your QB is always worth it. It is harder to find a good QB than anything in sports. All sports. Not just the NFL. You find a good one you lock him in. Or you doom yourself to Quincy Carter, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny Testaverde. This team got lucky finding Romo half a decade after Aikman, and Dak at the end of Romos career. More often than not you miss a few big ones in the draft, overpay some crappy vets, and.spend a decade or longer in the basement while looking for your QB. Maybe some people out in the world are too young to remember what it was like pre Aikman, and pre Romo, but I am not. But Cleveland, Arizona, Oakland, NYJ, Detroit, Buffalo, Tennessee, Houston and others spent long times looking for their guy. Some will keep looking. And continue to whiff on picks and payouts in that search, while dooming their fans to heartache and 5-11.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, Dallas94Ware said:

Paying Dak does not handcuff this team. This teams core has already been paid. If you believe Jaylon, Lawrence, Collins, Martin, Tyron, Zeke and Cooper are your core stars and worth their money, and guys like LVE, Gallup, Jarwin, Lewis, Woods, William's and the other young picks are set to take the next step and/or be paid in the future as other older vets come off the cap, than Dak does not handcuff you

Daks contract hinders you only if all those guys you paid are more like the guys from 2019 and not 2018, and you need to replace them. In.which case you handcuffed yourself by paying those guys who were not worth the money.

Your QB is always worth it. It is harder to find a good QB than anything in sports. All sports. Not just the NFL. You find a good one you lock him in. Or you doom yourself to Quincy Carter, Clint Stoerner, Chad Hutchinson, Drew Henson, and Vinny Testaverde. This team got lucky finding Romo half a decade after Aikman, and Dak at the end of Romos career. More often than not you miss a few big ones in the draft, overpay some crappy vets, and.spend a decade or longer in the basement while looking for your QB. Maybe some people out in the world are too young to remember what it was like pre Aikman, and pre Romo, but I am not. But Cleveland, Arizona, Oakland, NYJ, Detroit, Buffalo, Tennessee, Houston and others spent long times looking for their guy. Some will keep looking. And continue to whiff on picks and payouts in that search, while dooming their fans to heartache and 5-11.

Theyve already paid Martin, Tyron, Zeke, Cooper, DLaw and Jaylon. If guys like LVE, Woods, Garwin, William's, Gallup, Awuzie and/or Lewis step up please tell me how the team plans on paying all these guys plus Daks outrageous demands?? Whom is coming off the books that magically allows for extra cap space?? Witten? Fredbeard? Far as I can tell that's it. Maybe a Crawford. Pushing money back or converting it is not the way to go. 

5 hours ago, buddy_z34 said:

Theyve already paid Martin, Tyron, Zeke, Cooper, DLaw and Jaylon. If guys like LVE, Woods, Garwin, William's, Gallup, Awuzie and/or Lewis step up please tell me how the team plans on paying all these guys plus Daks outrageous demands??

They are not outrageous. Get real. They are completely in line with what other top 10 QBs are being paid.

Whom is coming off the books that magically allows for extra cap space??

Over the next 5 years? We will probably have ~70%+ roster turnover. So most of them.

Witten? Fredbeard? Far as I can tell that's it. Maybe a Crawford. Pushing money back or converting it is not the way to go. 

Cooper, Zeke, tank could all easily be gone in the next few years. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 5:09 AM, buddy_z34 said:

Theyve already paid Martin, Tyron, Zeke, Cooper, DLaw and Jaylon. If guys like LVE, Woods, Garwin, William's, Gallup, Awuzie and/or Lewis step up please tell me how the team plans on paying all these guys plus Daks outrageous demands?? Whom is coming off the books that magically allows for extra cap space?? Witten? Fredbeard? Far as I can tell that's it. Maybe a Crawford. Pushing money back or converting it is not the way to go. 

Of those the only one who I see might be a issue is Gallup but by that time Coop can easily come off the books to free up money that is if Lamb pans out. LVE might be interesting but last season hurt his chances at demanding a top end deal and we should have enough to pay him.    Garvin????   A second round took can give what he gives same for Lewis and Awuzi at this point if either demands the sun and the moon like Jones got

4 hours ago, quiller said:

Of those the only one who I see might be a issue is Gallup but by that time Coop can easily come off the books to free up money that is if Lamb pans out. LVE might be interesting but last season hurt his chances at demanding a top end deal and we should have enough to pay him.    Garvin????   A second round took can give what he gives same for Lewis and Awuzi at this point if either demands the sun and the moon like Jones got

The simple math is over a 5 year contract you have: 

5 x 7 = 35 draft picks + probably another 75-100 UDFA

+ 5 FA periods were you can attempt to add value

We will probably cycle through at least 4-8 DEs/DBs/WRs/etc