HYPOTHETICALLY IF... cowboys Rescinded Franchise Tag

The_Slamman

“Absolutely not,” Jones recently told Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. “Dak’s our quarterback for the future. Obviously, this hasn’t been the easiest thing. As Jerry says, ‘As money gets bigger, deals get harder.’ Certainly, we’re talking a significant amount of money here which he so deserves. Absolutely not. Dak’s going to be our quarterback this year. He’s our quarterback for the future. We think the world of him. He represents our franchise in a very positive way in terms of what we want as a leader of our team. He’s just an outstanding man, and we would never rescind the franchise tag.”

13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

“Absolutely not,” Jones recently told Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk. “Dak’s our quarterback for the future. Obviously, this hasn’t been the easiest thing. As Jerry says, ‘As money gets bigger, deals get harder.’ Certainly, we’re talking a significant amount of money here which he so deserves. Absolutely not. Dak’s going to be our quarterback this year. He’s our quarterback for the future. We think the world of him. He represents our franchise in a very positive way in terms of what we want as a leader of our team. He’s just an outstanding man, and we would never rescind the franchise tag.”

I always quantify quotes like these with the question "What is he supposed to say?"

"Dak's making it really hard for us. He's got us questioning if he really wants to be here or not. If he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy....We're offering him a lot of money, for a 4th round QB who hasn't gotten us where we need to be yet. We'd like to have Dak here long term, but he needs to get reasonable. We like what he's done so far, but he'd be a fool to think that he's not replaceable. Dak needs to think long and hard about what the market would be for him if we did rescind the tag and he became a UFA with most teams QB situations already finalized for 2020 and most if not all of the Free Agent money dried up. He needs to look at the benefits of being a Dallas Cowboy"

1 minute ago, TheGame316 said:

I always quantify quotes like these with the question "What is he supposed to say?"

"Dak's making it really hard for us. He's got us questioning if he really wants to be here or not. If he wants to be a Dallas Cowboy....We're offering him a lot of money, for a 4th round QB who hasn't gotten us where we need to be yet. We'd like to have Dak here long term, but he needs to get reasonable. We like what he's done so far, but he'd be a fool to think that he's not replaceable. Dak needs to think long and hard about what the market would be for him if we did rescind the tag and he became a UFA with most teams QB situations already finalized for 2020 and most if not all of the Free Agent money dried up. He needs to look at the benefits of being a Dallas Cowboy"

If he were actually considering it, he could say:

”We have all options on the table. We need to look at every angle and do what’s best for the team. We have a contract offer on the table, and a tag in place, and our goal is a long term deal. Hopefully we get it settled soon, but we have to keep all options open, do what’s right by our players, but also protect the business.”

Instead he completely eliminated the possibility.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

”We have all options on the table. We need to look at every angle and do what’s best for the team. We have a contract offer on the table, and a tag in place, and our goal is a long term deal. Hopefully we get it settled soon, but we have to keep all options open, do what’s right by our players, but also protect the business.”

How does Jerry benefit from that though? Jerry is as much about branding as anything so he will say whatever puts the Cowboys in the best light in this negotiation. I imagine Dak and his agent know the Cowboy's position. I think they've made their offer and it's "Balls in your court" Will come down to who blinks first and Dak can ask himself if he wants to guarantee himself 31 million this year and only 31 million or 165 over 5 years and 100 million iron clad (and if he truly believes in himself, knowing he will see the entire 165). All Jerry has to do not is not throw any gas on the fire

If Dak wants to get 35 per and the Cowboys are willing to pay close to 35 then the Cowboys don't lose here via the Franchise tag unless Dak holds out (Of course Dak doesn't get paid and I'm sure Chunky Soup isn't interested in a commercial with a guy not on the field)

31 this year and 38(projected) next year under the tag is pretty close to a 35 per year average anyways. Why not see 2 more years if the cost is the same and you don't have to right a big fat check that is guaranteed for injury? I hope Dak takes Kirk Cousins advice personally

2 hours ago, DaBoys said:

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

I mean, even more simple he could have just repeated himself.

"Would you ever rescind the tag"

"Our goal is to sign Dak to a long term deal as the franchise QB of the Dallas Cowboys"

The end. 

1 hour ago, TheGame316 said:

How does Jerry benefit from that though? Jerry is as much about branding as anything so he will say whatever puts the Cowboys in the best light in this negotiation. I imagine Dak and his agent know the Cowboy's position. I think they've made their offer and it's "Balls in your court" Will come down to who blinks first and Dak can ask himself if he wants to guarantee himself 31 million this year and only 31 million or 165 over 5 years and 100 million iron clad (and if he truly believes in himself, knowing he will see the entire 165). All Jerry has to do not is not throw any gas on the fire

If Dak wants to get 35 per and the Cowboys are willing to pay close to 35 then the Cowboys don't lose here via the Franchise tag unless Dak holds out (Of course Dak doesn't get paid and I'm sure Chunky Soup isn't interested in a commercial with a guy not on the field)

31 this year and 38(projected) next year under the tag is pretty close to a 35 per year average anyways. Why not see 2 more years if the cost is the same and you don't have to right a big fat check that is guaranteed for injury? I hope Dak takes Kirk Cousins advice personally

Jerry has never really been a team guy, but more of a superstar type guy. I think the only thing that has stopped Jerry from handing the title to his yacht is Stephen saying "absolutely f***ing not!"

9 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jerry has never really been a team guy, but more of a superstar type guy. I think the only thing that has stopped Jerry from handing the title to his yacht is Stephen saying "absolutely f***ing not!"

I dont know man. Stephen has gotten pretty jobbed his last 3 big deals. SJ has done an awesome job of cutting the fat. He has done a great job of not over paying for FA's. But when push comes to shove, he is the same guy who gave Tank, Cooper and Zeke enormous deals that were all arguably over priced/not warranted. 

Edited by Matts4313

7 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

I dont know man. Stephen has gotten pretty jobbed his last 3 big deals. SJ has done an awesome job of cutting the fat. He has done a great job of not over paying for FA's. But when push comes to shove, he is the same guy who gave Tank, Cooper and Zeke enormous deals that were all arguably over priced/not warranted. 

I'm fine with Tank and Cooper's deals,  but they buckled hard on Zeke.   How horrible would it have been to see what you have in Pollard for a couple games.  Not to mention,  Dak I'm sure looked at Zeke getting his, before his contract was up,  and thought to himself,  "I'm the qb, they better pay me!"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I'm fine with Tank and Cooper's deals,  but they buckled hard on Zeke.   How horrible would it have been to see what you have in Pollard for a couple games.  Not to mention,  Dak I'm sure looked at Zeke getting his, before his contract was up,  and thought to himself,  "I'm the qb, they better pay me!"

Tank and Cooper they waited too late. Zeke they did to early. 

And this isnt hindsight, many of us were saying this years ago. Think about how much better the deals would have looked if they would have done them at the right time - - Like Tyron Smith.

Waited to late on Dak as well.

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Tank and Cooper they waited too late. Zeke they did to early. 

And this isnt hindsight, many of us were saying this years ago. Think about how much better the deals would have looked if they would have done them at the right time - - Like Tyron Smith.

Waited to late on Dak as well.

Amari had us by the balls.

He wanted to wait to get the deal done to see what other receivers were going to get. I am sure he also knew, when push came to shove, we would have tagged Dak and not him. We had no leverage with him to get a deal done before free agency.

Once he hit free agency, his asking price goes up because we are competing with every other team that wants his services.

Cant say for sure what the deal would look like, but I am confident he would have signed for less had we been able to tag him.

Just now, CAPJ said:

Amari had us by the balls.

He wanted to wait to get the deal done to see what other receivers were going to get. I am sure he also knew, when push came to shove, we would have tagged Dak and not him. We had no leverage with him to get a deal done before free agency.

Once he hit free agency, his asking price goes up because we are competing with every other team that wants his services.

Cant say for sure what the deal would look like, but I am confident he would have signed for less had we been able to tag him.

We should have extended him when we traded for him. Trust your scouts. He probably would have been  a ~$10-12m/yr WR at that time (coming off bad seasons).

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

We should have extended him when we traded for him. Trust your scouts. He probably would have been  a ~$10-12m/yr WR at that time (coming off bad seasons).

I'm pretty sure the Raiders traded him because they weren't having it with his agent, same as Mack. I think his demands were as high as $18-20M per way back then. Guy posted back to back 1000 yard Pro Bowl seasons at 21-22.

29 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Stephen probably still has PTSD working under his dad through the Deion, Galloway, and Romo days. I don't blame his "prove it to me first" attitude after everything he's had to go through with his idiot father. 

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Who says Amari would take that deal? He could have easily held out.

He came off bad seasons, but the Raiders as a whole during that time, were garbage. He also had two very good years and was still only 25.

Amari and his agent arent stupid. You dont trade a 1st for a receiver coming off terrible seasons but only sign for $10-$12 million.