HYPOTHETICALLY IF... cowboys Rescinded Franchise Tag

The_Slamman

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

We should have extended him when we traded for him. Trust your scouts. He probably would have been  a ~$10-12m/yr WR at that time (coming off bad seasons).

Would Coop have signed? In hindsight if your willing to shell out a 1st for that kind of guy then yea I would have tried to get a 4 yr done as soon as he got here with an out after 2. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Who says Amari would take that deal? He could have easily held out.

He came off bad seasons, but the Raiders as a whole during that time, were garbage. He also had two very good years and was still only 25.

Amari and his agent arent stupid. You dont trade a 1st for a receiver coming off terrible seasons but only sign for $10-$12 million.

9 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I'm pretty sure the Raiders traded him because they weren't having it with his agent, same as Mack. I think his demands were as high as $18-20M per way back then. Guy posted back to back 1000 yard Pro Bowl seasons at 21-22.

This is purely going off memory, but I thought his agent asked for $15m/yr when we traded. That was with no negotiation, but would have made near the highest paid WR at the time. 

I could be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

This is purely going off memory, but I thought his agent asked for $15m/yr when we traded. That was with no negotiation, but would have made near the highest paid WR at the time. 

I could be wrong. 

Maybe, I didnt hear that.

I dont think in any world, we would have gotten Amari for that much. 

3 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Amari had us by the balls.

He wanted to wait to get the deal done to see what other receivers were going to get. I am sure he also knew, when push came to shove, we would have tagged Dak and not him. We had no leverage with him to get a deal done before free agency.

Once he hit free agency, his asking price goes up because we are competing with every other team that wants his services.

Cant say for sure what the deal would look like, but I am confident he would have signed for less had we been able to tag him.

Coopers deal isn't really that good for him. It looks big, but it boils down to as little as 2 years 40 Million with 6 Million in dead money in year 3 if we cut him after 2 seasons

2 years of theoretically a receiver in his prime in what is theoretically our championship window. He didn't buy himself a lot of security

We have a nice out if he slows down or Lamb/Gallup step up and take over

Edited by TheGame316
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Coopers deal isn't really that good for him. It looks big, but it boils down to as little as 2 years 40 Million with 6 Million in dead money in year 3 if we cut him after 2 seasons

2 years of theoretically a receiver in his prime in what is theoretically our championship window. He didn't buy himself a lot of security

We have a nice out if he slows down or Lamb/Gallup step up and take over

For sure. The deal was structured very well, similar to Zekes.

My point was Coopers deal was different than the others since he hit free agency.

9 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

For sure. The deal was structured very well, similar to Zekes.Ya, 

My point was Coopers deal was different than the others since he hit free agency.

For sure. Cooper was the only guy with any real leverage. DLaw extorted under threat to sign his tag in week 1 THEN have surgery where he'd be getting Franchise $$ and miss half the season on IR

Zeke's bluff should have been called. Jerry thought last year was our year and didn't want to wait out a potential slow start. Jerry blinked, but there's a 10 million dollar "out" after next season and a 6.7 million dollar out in 2022

23 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

According to Mike Fisher of SI.com, Prescott has “a monster offer on the table now” worth $35 million annually with “more than” $106 million guaranteed, a fairly significant increase from the team’s last rejected proposal ($33.5 million AAV, $105 million gtd).

Over 5 years...Dak wants 4. I'm not worried at this point, the team values him and ultimately a deal will get one by the deadline. Be interesting see if Dak gets his 4 or he settles for the extra year.

44 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

According to Mike Fisher of SI.com, Prescott has “a monster offer on the table now” worth $35 million annually with “more than” $106 million guaranteed, a fairly significant increase from the team’s last rejected proposal ($33.5 million AAV, $105 million gtd).

Wasnt this reported a while back? 

At least the GTD money isnt a joke anymore.

6 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Would Coop have signed? In hindsight if your willing to shell out a 1st for that kind of guy then yea I would have tried to get a 4 yr done as soon as he got here with an out after 2. 

He likely would not have signed. No good agent would have allowed it. 

I didnt like the Cooper contract but when you trade a first for a guy you have to pay him. That first round pick could have turned into a 5 year starter. Didnt give it up for a 1 year rental. 

Still from what I've read the structure is not bad and it's quite cap friendly. The hit on the cap is more than tolerable if he figures to be a key point of the offense.

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Over 5 years...Dak wants 4. I'm not worried at this point, the team values him and ultimately a deal will get one by the deadline. Be interesting see if Dak gets his 4 or he settles for the extra year.

Part of me thinks Jerry is just delaying so the Cowboys can stay trending over the off season

2 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Probably. I just now saw it though. Looks like they only raised the GDT by 1 milly? 

The offer last year was $33m/yr but the GTD money was only something like $70-80m. Which is really low when you consider all the other contracts signed last year (Wentz/Goff/Rodgers/Wilson) were all $100m+ 

3 hours ago, D82 said:

Dak is a real a-hole if he sticks at 4. It will basically limit us to a one year shot at the SB during his contract tenure. 

31 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Dak is a real a-hole if he sticks at 4. It will basically limit us to a one year shot at the SB during his contract tenure. 

If the Franchise tag is 31 Million this year and 38 next year (69 over 2) I don't see the benefit to the Cowboys to do a deal for 4 years since we won't see any real cap benefit

You want a short deal Dak? 2 year 69 Milion (31 Guaranteed). Take it or Take it.....

Edited by TheGame316