The Running Game (or lack thereof)

TheVillain112

So I've gone back and watched clips of a lot of our failed runs, and while there is plenty of things to blame there are two main things that stick out to me:

1. We are idiotic with when we run vs. pass.  We consistently run into safety blitzes, and 8-9 man boxes.  I saw a clip yesterday where we had a receiver matched up one-on-one versus a corner and a Safety came down into the box.  What did we do?  We ran it, and not only did we run it, but we ran it right at where the safety was blitzing.  This is inexcusable with a "veteran" QB.  Idk if it's because Dalton doesn't have the freedom from the coaching staff to audible at the line anymore or Dalton is just broken, but our running game numbers (YPA) will always be atrocious if we keep doing this.  Tony Romo highlighted this during the game yesterday.
  2.   Russell.Bodine.  As bad as he is in pass protection, he somehow seems worse in run blocking.  He is constantly not blocking his defender leaving LBs and DTs to get clean shots at our RBs.  There were several plays where our RBs could have broken off a huge run but Bodine's inability to, well do anything prevented it.

Source: 

Billy Price in rd 2 or 3 (depending on how he's viewed) might be a solid choice.  He's strong as hell and is a 3 year starter (2 at G, this year at C) in the B1G.  6'4" 315 lbs, and has been grading out very well through the first 4 games this season, including against Oklahoma.

51 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

They subbed Smith in at both RT and LT on sunday. He actually played pretty well. Maybe we will see more of him rather than these "talented" OTs

For real Andre Smith will give up the occasional sack (especially to speed rushers), but he looked much better than Ced and Fisher.  Except for some reason when our OC thought Andre Smith pulling was a smart idea...

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I'd like to see a veteran center.  I think fixing that position will do wonders for us.

Are there any?  I would just draft a C along with two new tackles and roll with it.  Keep Andre Smith another year for RT, draft a top guy at LT in the first, and a C/G type in the second (Cole/Price).  Quentin Nelson might be the most plug and play ready guy in this draft, but he is a guard with no center experience.

Watching some clips of the running game against the Bills, you guys are right.  We have to go Center.  LT and then Center in the draft would be ideal for this team.  There are just too many second level blocks being missed by Bodine (along with all his other issues).  Our running game won't ever improve as long as he's the Center.

Take a look at this play.  Both Bodine and Ced completely whiff on the second level.  How neither of them slow down a single LB is incredible:

Archived