The Running Game (or lack thereof)

TheVillain112

39 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Take a look at this play.  Both Bodine and Ced completely whiff on the second level.  How neither of them slow down a single LB is incredible:

That's bad.  Actually the way that play was set up, Ced could have taken out all three with a good block, and the play probably goes for 10 yards.  Instead, nothing.

16 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's bad.  Actually the way that play was set up, Ced could have taken out all three with a good block, and the play probably goes for 10 yards.  Instead, nothing.

I was thinking the same thing.  One good cut block and they could take out multiple the way those defenders were bunched up.  Instead they just stand around.  Every week I see clips of Bodine on the 2nd level just standing around.  He's not actively trying to block and Ced has the same problem, lack of aggression...

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  One good cut block and they could take out multiple the way those defenders were bunched up.  Instead they just stand around.  Every week I see clips of Bodine on the 2nd level just standing around.  He's not actively trying to block and Ced has the same problem, lack of aggression...

It reminds me of this HS game i went to a long time ago.  It my alma mater, they're pretty bad.  Well late in the game they were down big and pity played this guy who's huge, slow, and not very bright.  They put him in on a kick return.  He was lined up in the front line.  On the start of the kick everyone runs backward like they should to align the blocks with the kick location, EXCEPT for this one guy.  He ran straight at the guy in front of him, who just sidestepped him so easily.  The guy trying to block fell down after the whiff and he didn't see the field the rest of the game.

Does Andy have no audible ability at the line? I know some OCs don't want their QB to audible, but I would assume with 5+ years in the league, Andy would have some freedom at the line. 

When a play is called and relayed to the QB, the defense hasn't shown their hand in terms of formation, blitz look, etc... is the problem that the coaching staff doesn't allow him to audible at the line or is the problem in Andy's pre-snap reads? 

3 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

Does Andy have no audible ability at the line? I know some OCs don't want their QB to audible, but I would assume with 5+ years in the league, Andy would have some freedom at the line. 

When a play is called and relayed to the QB, the defense hasn't shown their hand in terms of formation, blitz look, etc... is the problem that the coaching staff doesn't allow him to audible at the line or is the problem in Andy's pre-snap reads? 

He used to do it, but it looks like they've taken that ability away from him.  Or he's just lost confidence in himself to change the play.  Either way it is odd...

13 hours ago, fluhartz said:

The kid is gonna be a star if he gets some help... 

Agreed.  I don't see how that happens this year though.  You can hide your pass blocking to some degree, but not run blocking.

Archived