Mahomes will surpass Brady as the Goat. True or False?

brownie man

Will Mahomes pass Brady as the GOAT?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mahomes be the Goat?

• No Mahomes will never surpass Tom Brady
    • Yes one day Patrick Mahomes will be considered the Goat

He's already more talented and no doubt causes DCs more headaches. Tom Brady's main weapon was his brain/his intelligence. The times he was undone at his peak were when he saw things he'd never seen before (the inverse is true, he'd relentlessly pick on things he'd seen a lot - Pittsburg's soft zones under LeBeau for example).

But with Mahomes, you can't outfool him - you may have the perfect coverage or the perfect matchups, but he can still rip your heart out with lazer off his back foot, cross body. Reid can put in routes that don't actually exist (Chris Sims showed one of these in the superbowl) - that's partly due to Hill's speed, but also Pat's ability to get the ball there.

As for the question of greatness, it comes down to injury. Tom's second best ability was probably availability. If Mahomes is 90% fit from now until he retires - he may just be. But I question that. It's hard to stay as healthy as Tom did especially when you're more exposed to hits like Pat is. But we'll see.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 5

Mahomes has got off to a sizzling career. But let’s not get too ahead of ourselves 

you can never be the best without multiple championships

Rodgers was on a similar trajectory but he stalled over time. 

Talent, no question, Mahomes all day over Brady. 

But GOATs are not pure talent. They also have the Mentality, leadership, work ethic, and lack of ego to become the very best. 

In my opinion, the Brady - Mahomes debate will be very similar to the Jordan-LeBron debate, with Mahomes being LeBron in this scenario. 

For now, let’s just enjoy the spectacle that Mahomes is. It is unfair to put such lofty quotas for him at such a young age 

Edited by rocky_rams
  • Like 9

Mahomes is already better and more talented than Brady ever was.  

Brady was on a good team with a good coach.  

Mahomes is the sole reason Kansas City got to and won the Super Bowl.  They needed their QB for so many years, and they have him now.  

Youngest QB to throw for 50 TDs.  Youngest QB to both win a SB and NFL MVP.  

I mean, he can throw the football with both hands.  He's a QB prodigy.  

Brady was butthurt for so many years over why he wasn't taken in the first round of the draft. 

That's not to say that Mahomes is going to have more than 6 Super Bowls, but he honestly doesn't have to.

He blatantly outplayed Brady in the AFC Title game two seasons ago and didn't get his chance to make a comeback due to the shoddy overtime rules.  

But, I highly doubt that this will be Mahomes's only Super Bowl.  It could be, but highly unlikely.  

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

But GOATs are not pure talent. They also have the Mentality, leadership, work ethic, and lack of ego to become the very best. 

If you're trying to describe Brady with that, then you are surely mistaken.  The guy has the biggest ego in the history of NFL QBs.  Could not take it that was drafted so low.  What a cry baby.  Rodgers is similar, but not on Brady's level.  

39 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

you can never be the best without multiple championships

Not true at all.  

Many people would argue that Barry Sanders was the best RB to ever play the game, but he never even played in a Super Bowl.  In terms of QBs,  Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls, but some football pundits still consider Dan Marino to be the better QB.  

Winning Super Bowls is a team effort.  It should be considered when comparing players of the same position, but comparisons should never be entirely based on how many Super Bowls a player has.  

43 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

In my opinion, the Brady - Mahomes debate will be very similar to the Jordan-LeBron debate, with Mahomes being LeBron in this scenario. 

Not even close.  

Why?  Because Brady isn't talented like Michael Jordan was.  He's not even talented like Lebron is.  Brady was on a good team with a good coach.  Belichick put all the resources around him for 20 years. 

And, please don't categorize Mahomes with Lebron James.  That's a real joke there.  Mahomes grabbed a Super Bowl in just his third year in the league.  Took Lebron a long time to win the Finals.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RamblinMan99 said:

If you're trying to describe Brady with that, then you are surely mistaken.  The guy has the biggest ego in the history of NFL QBs.  Could not take it that was drafted so low.  What a cry baby.  Rodgers is similar, but not on Brady's level.  

Not true at all.  

Many people would argue that Barry Sanders was the best RB to ever play the game, but he never even played in a Super Bowl.  In terms of QBs,  Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls, but some football pundits still consider Dan Marino to be the better QB.  

Winning Super Bowls is a team effort.  It should be considered when comparing players of the same position, but comparisons should never be entirely based on how many Super Bowls a player has.  

Not even close.  

Why?  Because Brady isn't talented like Michael Jordan was.  He's not even talented like Lebron is.  Brady was on a good team with a good coach.  Belichick put all the resources around him for 20 years. 

And, please don't categorize Mahomes with Lebron James.  That's a real joke there.  Mahomes grabbed a Super Bowl in just his third year in the league.  Took Lebron a long time to win the Finals.  

you clearly sound like a Brady hater.

With QBs, they are considered the "best" by wins and championships. And no, "many" people don't consider Sanders the best RB. Some do. But RBs arent really judged on wins and championships as much as QBs.

Of course some pundits would consider Marino the better QB over Montana on a pure talent level. Hell, even I would agree. But in all time great rankings, Montana is viewed higher by most because of....yup you guessed it! Championships!

Brady is not only the best QB to play the game, he's the best player to play in the NFL. Doesn't mean Mahomes won't surpass him. But consistency is the greatest measurement of performance

• Like 1

I remember when Aaron Rodgers won his first Championship in 2010, then set the single-season passer rating record in 2011. He was going to set untouchable records and be the GOAT. 10 years later that's his ONLY championship, and young gunslingers who will get to play 17 games a season in even more pass friendly rules will likely surpass any and all QB records relatively quickly.

I remember when Gronkowski was unstoppable and was going to destroy all TE records and JJ Watt was gonna breeze past 200 sacks and Antonio Brown had a chance to match Jerry Rice. I remember RG3 and Colin Kaepernick were going to totally change the QB position. I remember Luck was going to be the next Peyton, and Kuechly the next Urlacher and Patrick Willis was going to challenge Ray Lewis for the GOAT Linebacker.

I remember Peyton Hillis on the cover of Madden.

I remember the Saints, Broncos, Seahawks, Packers, Panthers, 49ers, Steelers and Ravens were all going to become dynasties...and then didn't.

A lot has to go right between now and 2030 for Mahomes to be GOAT, all that has to happen to stop it is one bad thing.

Maybe a DT sacks him and destroys his knee. Maybe he tears his rotator cuff and never gets his zing back. Maybe a division rival puts together a GOAT defense and keeps KC at 10-6 and unable to get that key play-off bye. Maybe Andy Reid retires and his replacement sucks. Maybe defenders start catching all those dropped interceptions.

Could Mahomes do it? Maybe. Statistically, for one reason or another, it's incredibly likely he will fail.

• Like 11

16 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Mahomes is already better and more talented than Brady ever was.  

Brady was on a good team with a good coach.  

Mahomes is the sole reason Kansas City got to and won the Super Bowl.  They needed their QB for so many years, and they have him now.  

Youngest QB to throw for 50 TDs.  Youngest QB to both win a SB and NFL MVP.  

I mean, he can throw the football with both hands.  He's a QB prodigy.  

Brady was butthurt for so many years over why he wasn't taken in the first round of the draft. 

That's not to say that Mahomes is going to have more than 6 Super Bowls, but he honestly doesn't have to.

He blatantly outplayed Brady in the AFC Title game two seasons ago and didn't get his chance to make a comeback due to the shoddy overtime rules.  

But, I highly doubt that this will be Mahomes's only Super Bowl.  It could be, but highly unlikely.  

So much stupidity in one post.

Mahomes is already better than Brady ever was when he's only been in the league for 3 seasons? Seriously?

And Mahomes wasn't on a good team with a good coach? Are we going to ignore the fact that Andy Reid has been a head coach since 1998 and not only has both Philly and KC have been perennial playoffs contenders under him, he's made scrubs like A.J. Feeley and past-his-prime Jeff Garica look like starters?

You claim he's the SOLE reason they won the SB (ignoring how poorly he played for the majority of it), but then you say it's a team effort. Which is it?

Edited by Elky
  • Like 7