Mahomes will surpass Brady as the Goat. True or False?

brownie man

Will Mahomes pass Brady as the GOAT?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mahomes be the Goat?

• No Mahomes will never surpass Tom Brady
    • Yes one day Patrick Mahomes will be considered the Goat

3 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Stop with the empty semantics.

GOAT is from go to, as in the guy you go to in desperate situations. Even as you put it, Marino was GOAT in his day, so he is a GOAT but not the GOAT. 

You also left out Elway.

J

GOAT is Greatest of All Time. It never was anything else. And Marino was never considered that. You are changing definitions up 

3 minutes ago, lancerman said:

GOAT is Greatest of All Time. It never was anything else. And Marino was never considered that. You are changing definitions up 

It was. The term has been around for decades, making a singular is fairly recent. In the day, each contending team had a Goat in the go to sense. There would arguments dismissing a team from title contention because they didn't have a go to guy. 

Marino has been considered Greatest of All Time. It's simply true.

J

• Like 1

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Marino is viewed as a GOAT. ;)

If you don't like bulk stats, 65% completion. Brady did it seven times. Mahomes has done it and averages 3% higher. Brady has done 8+ Y/A three times, Mahomes twice. Brady has done 9+ Adjusted Y/A four times, Mahomes once and also averages 9+. 

J

All this means nothing when it comes to being the best unless you win multiple championships 

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

All this means nothing when it comes to being the best unless you win multiple championships 

Then you are changing the definition. You can make that argument, but you also have to deal with the fact that you can win a Super Bowl with Jimmy Garoppolo or Trent Dilfer. 

I do not accept multiple championships as a requirement because it is too dependent on things outside the player's control. Twenty five years ago, there were arguments claiming Elway wasn't great because he had no ring. He wins two at the end of his career and is enshrined as the Greatest ever. Silly. 

J

11 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Then you are changing the definition. You can make that argument, but you also have to deal with the fact that you can win a Super Bowl with Jimmy Garoppolo or Trent Dilfer. 

I do not accept multiple championships as a requirement because it is too dependent on things outside the player's control. Twenty five years ago, there were arguments claiming Elway wasn't great because he had no ring. He wins two at the end of his career and is enshrined as the Greatest ever. Silly. 

J

When the game is on the line, nobody was better.

The continued overhyping of Mahomes continues. Yes, he's amazing. But people are getting ahead of themselves.

He's Elway with a coach who would actually throw the ball before the 2 minute warning. If the Chiefs can upgrade the interior of that OL, they're unstoppable without a good pass rush and an above average QB.

18 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

I think that Mahomes will be the next Rodgers. He’ll put up god-like stats, but the team around him will be weak since he’ll be making an insane amount of money. 

14 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This. Every QB that wins one will have this happen.

Man I really hope we win one before that happens to us.  Also preferably with Larry here.  I think he has 2 years tops, and only 2 more if we do well next year. Although,  no way of knowing, just speculating.

Maybe can turn the situation like Wilson and be ultra competitive and still a threat to win it all any year.

Time will tell on Mahomes.  I think he has the talent to always be ultra competitive.   Sucks for the rest of the AFC West lol.

I think he only needs 1 or maybe 2 more SB, another MVP and just continuing the godlike stats to become the GOAT.  SB wins are a team win and even random players have 1 SB.  I don't think he needs 4+ rings to be put in the conversation,  but he is certainly off to a hot start.  Hotter than anyone else.

There is also the added bonus of players, perhaps better players, to gravitate and want to play with him in KC.

Edited by Zalixar
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

When the game is on the line, nobody was better.

The continued overhyping of Mahomes continues. Yes, he's amazing. But people are getting ahead of themselves.

He's Elway with a coach who would actually throw the ball before the 2 minute warning. If the Chiefs can upgrade the interior of that OL, they're unstoppable without a good pass rush and an above average QB.

Nobody better than whom? Elway? Brady?

It isn't overhyping, just premature. In baseball we have Trout, who was hyped like this from the start, but never disappointed.

19 minutes ago, RBreezy said:

I think that Mahomes will be the next Rodgers. He’ll put up god-like stats, but the team around him will be weak since he’ll be making an insane amount of money. 

I think Dak Prescott is in more danger of this. 

16 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

This. Every QB that wins one will have this happen.

Not every. What of Foles? Was Trent Dilfer ever the next one?

J

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Mahomes relies on his physical attributes. Those won’t last nearly as long as Brady’s cerebral attributes. Plus, Mahomes needs elite athletes on the team with him and won’t have the coach that Brady did. Brady had the perfect scenario for long-term success. I don’t think Mahomes will be that lucky.

I agree with you that Brady had a coach that established the long term success for him, but you're playing a double standard with the elite athlete claim.  

Like Mahomes, Brady has been set with an elite arsenal of athletes on his offense throughout his 20 year career.  

And, you're making it look like Mahomes is running on almost every play.  He's not Lamar Jackson.  Mahomes has the cerebral capabilities just as much as the mobile ability.  

Even though Reid might not supply him with the long term offensive line that Belichick did for Brady,  Mahomes's pure talent combined with his receiving core could possibly garner a lot of Super Bowls in a short amount of time. They're already favorites to repeat in 2021.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

Nobody better than whom? Elway? Brady?

It isn't overhyping, just premature. In baseball we have Trout, who was hyped like this from the start, but never disappointed.

I think Dak Prescott is in more danger of this. 

Not every. What of Foles? Was Trent Dilfer ever the next one?

J

Nobody better than Elway in the 4th quarter, yeah.

You're right, premature is a better word. Dak is a good example liek you said.

Every QB that wins one by carrying them like Rodgers did. Rodgers was that Green Bay team with some pieces. Ever since they haven't afforded him help or pieces because he's so substantial financially. Foles was on a good Eagles team and played lights out. and Dilfer was carried by one of the greatest defenses of all time.

If Mahomes gets a pay day that big, the Chiefs won't be able to afford the help he already has because they are gonna want contracts too.

One of the reasons Brady did so well is because he wasn't nearly as "greedy" as many of the other star quarterbacks. Paid damn well but not richest usually.