What to expect from Scott Turner's offense

I'm catching up on things I missed earlier in the week, but this was a very good read.  I was originally down on the Turner hire, but I am slowly coming around to it.  

It is very refreshing to hear someone talk about utilizing the players strengths and shortcomings to craft a gameplan to utilize them best.  Also, especially true when the person you are taking over for happens to be your dad.  I also like that he is embracing football analytics, as they have been a long time coming, and the sooner we embrace those, the better we will be.  Some teams will fight that- I only point to the Orioles in baseball being woefully behind the advanced stats trend as an indication.  We have to be ahead of the curve there.  

• Like 5

Keys for me is that he started drawing up things he could do for Antonio Gibson when he watched Gibson at the Senior Bowl and started watching film on him and he’s working on things for Haskins. 

Over the course of the past week or so since the draft, much has been made of Turner’s coordination with Kyle Smith on the selection of WR/RB/ST/”Swiss Army Knife” Antonio Gibson in the third round. It recently came out that Turner starting devising plays for the elusive Gibson after having watched him at the Senior Bowl in January. That’s both impressive and consistent with his performance in Carolina.

When Turner took over as the Panthers’ OC, he determined that they had been using their multi-faceted weapon, WR Curtis Samuel, inappropriately. They had been sending the blazing fast Samuel (4.31 speed) on vertical routes where he was able to get separation. The problem was, neither Will Grier nor Kyle Allen had the arms to get him the ball effectively. Once Turner became the OC, he drafted plays for Samuel out of the backfield, with nearly 50% of the WR’s carries coming in the 4 games that Turner managed.

He did something similar for lead WR DJ Moore. Turner, recognizing the shortcomings of his QB talent, fed Moore balls on intermediate routes across the middle, his strong suit. Moore is not the sort of WR with a well-developed route tree, but short passes, taking advantage of his ability to rack up yards after the catch, helped him finish as a top 10 WR in 2019.

In his early comments on Haskins, Turner has pointed out the QB’s strong arm and pocket presence, as well as his comfort with the play action game - which, it has been established, probably can’t be overdeployed. The new OC intends to cater to that strength. Turner has also noted:

“Something ... [Dwayne’s] done a good job of in his past and in college too is just being able to get the ball out quickly and kind of distribute the football to the playmakers and let them make the plays for him.”

The addition of Gibson to playmakers like Steve Sims and Terry McLaurin is the most direct path for Turner to make life easier on his young signal caller. It’s said that Scott’s father, Norv, hammered Cam Newton to “take the lay-up” - hit the easy route - when he got in trouble. 

We can almost certainly expect the Redskins’ new OC to do the same with his young QB, providing him with a multi-talented arsenal of weapons that can both take advantage of his deep balls skills - a la Terry McLaurin and Antonio Gandy-Golden - as well use different pre-snap looks to run similar combinations of motion, shifts, and jet sweeps to get the ball in space to playmakers like Gibson, Guice, and Sims.

Edited by turtle28

For me there’s a lot of pressure on John Matsco to do his best to develop this offensive line. Transferring to a ZBS this year will increase that pressure in coaching these guys up. As we know the better the o-line is will increase the chances on making Scott Turner’s offense dynamic. I know it will take time in this process but I’m very exciting what this offense can be once it gets rolling. We will go from making some plays to playmakers. 
I really don’t know how any of these coaching changes will work with RR and his staff. I’m very hopeful and damn sure glad to have some light at the end of the tunnel. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

For me there’s a lot of pressure on John Matsco to do his best to develop this offensive line. Transferring to a ZBS this year will increase that pressure in coaching these guys up. As we know the better the o-line is will increase the chances on making Scott Turner’s offense dynamic. I know it will take time in this process but I’m very exciting what this offense can be once it gets rolling. We will go from making some plays to playmakers. 
I really don’t know how any of these coaching changes will work with RR and his staff. I’m very hopeful and damn sure glad to have some light at the end of the tunnel. 

He's done it before in multiple stops.  I've been pretty down on the coaching staff except for Matsko coming in, and that was from the beginning.  I'm coming around to Scott Turner right now though.  I was really impressed with how it appears he is going to use guys to their strengths (something many coaches don't do enough of) and how he is embracing analytics.  

The rest of the coaches, save Del Rio, I have my doubts.  

• 3 weeks later...