MVP’s you did not agree with

Ninersfan1984

Just now, DannyB said:

Oh like those trick plays?? Dude that factors in ZERO for me as far as MVP resume. It's fun, but whatever.

Those weren't trick plays. He literally lined up as a traditional TE in a heavy set and on one occasion beat the LB on a back shoulder throw along the sideline and kept his feet in bounds.  

If it were that easy then all defensive lineman would be doing it. But suit yourself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Rodgers over JJ Watt in 2014. It's one that I understood (Qb>>) but I did not agree with it at all.

Watt was a monster that year on BOTH sides of the ball. That was seriously one of the best and most consistent performances I have ever seen from a DL player.  

Came here to say the same thing, as you'd imagine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

3 offensive TDs, 1 defensive.

*2 defensive. One pick six, one FR six...

...Along with 20 sacks, 29 TFLs, 16 PDs, 4 Forced Fumbles, 5 Fumble Recoveries and an INT.

If this sort of season isn't going to get an MVP for a defensive player... nothing will.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Wait, the same Alexander that carried his team to a Super Bowl that they should've won? 

He didn't carry them. That team was stacked. Hasselbeck had a career year and they had one of the best offensive lines of the 21st century.
Plus, Alexander's only big advantage over Barber was in touchdowns, and 18 of his 27 came from inside 5 yards while Barber had Brandon Jacobs vulturing his goal line carries. 

• Like 1

Just now, ET80 said:

Along with 20 sacks, 4 Forced Fumbles, 5 Fumble Recoveries and an INT.

If this sort of season isn't going to get an MVP for a defensive player, nothing will.

Jesus. When I fact checked my comment about offense earlier I skipped past the defense stats and had no idea his stat line looked like that. My god. I just remember him seemingly making a play ojn damn near every down every single week it seemed. Unreal.  

• Like 1

Just now, Starless said:

He didn't carry them. That team was stacked. Hasselbeck had a career year and they had one of the best offensive lines of the 21st century.
Plus, Alexander's only big advantage over Barber was in touchdowns, and 18 of his 27 came from inside 5 yards while Barber had Brandon Jacobs vulturing his goal line carries. 

I strongly disagree on him not carrying that team. His OL was great, no doubt. But they had a weak defense (injuries) and he was the reason WHY Hasselback had a career year. 

I'm not going to get back into Tiki Barber again on here either.  

4 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I strongly disagree on him not carrying that team. His OL was great, no doubt. But they had a weak defense (injuries) and he was the reason WHY Hasselback had a career year. 

I'm not going to get back into Tiki Barber again on here either.  

Well, Carson Palmer led the league in TD passes and completion percentage and led the Bengals to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. 

11 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Jesus. When I fact checked my comment about offense earlier I skipped past the defense stats and had no idea his stat line looked like that. My god. I just remember him seemingly making a play ojn damn near every down every single week it seemed. Unreal.  

I forgot the 29 TFLs, too. Yes, 29.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Starless said:

Well, Carson Palmer led the league in TD passes and completion percentage and led the Bengals to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. 

Alexander set records that year (IIRC) and took his team to the SB. That outweighs a QB leading the league in passing TD's and completion percentage while playing with the likes of Ocho--I hate that name--, Housh (who was better than Ocho), Rudy Johnson, and Chris Perry and getting going one and done in the playoffs by getting roasted by a division rival.. 

2009: Brees > Peyton

2008: Warner > Peyton - Warner had better statistics, had to constantly get into shootouts to keep Arizona in games and actually won the division.

2005: Palmer > Alexander - Context is key here. Alexander was a product of Hutchinson/Jones; Palmer made Cincinnati relevant.

2002: Favre > Gannon - Favre had inferior statistics, but carried a weak supporting cast to 12 wins and his defense was average.

Edited by Elky

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

Watt should have ATLEAST shared the MVP with Rodgers.

I would have been absolutely content with this. Watt took a 2-14 Texans team and dragged them to a 9-7 finish - it was simply the most dominant thing I've ever seen over the course of a 16 game season. From pole to pole, he was unstoppable.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I would have been absolutely content with this. Watt took a 2-14 Texans team and dragged them to a 9-7 finish - it was simply the most dominant thing I've ever seen over the course of a 16 game season. From pole to pole, he was unstoppable.

Yep. that's how I felt at the time too. I would've been fine that. But to leave him out completely was disrespectful. 

No crap. At that time, I was literally watching every single game from every team because it essentially my (side) job and I would start with the each team in alphabetical order and I remember it got to a point that I would skip other teams just to watch him play and go "what else did he do this week". And still, till this day, there has never been a defensive player that has made me wanna watch them more than Watt. And I'm a Bears fan who has Mack on his team and seen Urlacher, Brigs, Rosevelt, Harris, Peanut, etc and all of them are great but none of them had the same impact as Watt did. No defensive player has. (edit: IMO--I know how this forum can work sometimes)

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1