2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

9 hours ago, StartBarr said:

I want best available player from one of these positions DL, ILB, CB, WR, OT in rounds 1-4, no more drafting H-backs and Jordan Loves and punters and 3rd string players (as great as Dillon looked at times)

Rodgers has a small small window left and we need to act like it finally for fooks sake 

This is just another way of saying "Let's go all-in this year", which is a cry I hear from Packer fans EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR. The Packers never go all-in, they always, always, are as responsible about the future as they are about the present. This applies both financially and with draft picks.

For example, Love is a pick for the future (which you are down on), but a pick you didn't mention was the first rounder from the previous year, Rashan Gary. Many thought Gary a wasted pick because he wasn't NFL ready in his rookie year (and everyone knew beforehand that he wouldn't be)........but look at him now and that pick looks like a rather good choice. There will be not be much of a quality free agent splurge this year because of cap constraints and you would be wise not to expect too much from this years rookie crop. 

Any improvement that comes is likely to be improvement from within. Rookie draft picks and maybe an odd free agent will be very unlikely to equal the expected losses on the team. Just hope that guys like TE Sternberger, HBack Deguara, S Savage, ILBs Martin, Bolton and Barnes, DE Keke, can progress (some have shown signs of that already).

Maybe, given time, Love might blossom as well. I give full credit to the Packers for looking to the future here. He (Love) may not pan out, but if you aren't 'in it' you can't win it.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, moretti19 said:

If we were to trade Love and our RD 1 pick. How high I’m the first do you think we could go?

We would have our same first round pick, and maybe a medium Domino's pizza with two toppings.  50/50 on whether or not it would be delivered, or via carry out.

It isn't that he is bad, or not highly regarded last year.  It is due to all the good QB's who are coming out this year.

Maybe a team like Washington loved him last year and would trade us a player for him.  Pipe dream but I'd flip Love fast for McLaurin.  Maybe even give them a 5'th and St. Brown or Funchess. 

5 hours ago, NickCollins36 said:

So who are some favorite prospects from this years draft, I'm telling you one that I just enjoy watching and that's David Moore from Grambling. I believe that kid is going to be a stud and a dog on any offensive line, so who is someone y'all are keeping an eye on or who has stood out.

I doubt he goes very high, but that Whitewater center looks good at the Senior Bowl.  Quinn Meinerz.  Nasty.  With a big ol gut on him, and he wrestled.  He's my only "sleeper" right now, and he won't be a sleeper after the Senior Bowl.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Because it's usually not that black and white.  You're largely have players graded out on tiers.  You're very rarely going to find franchises who use numerical rankings.  That's more of a draftnik thing.  How many times have you had a non-premium position as a player who is on a different tier than other players?  It really doesn't happen as often as much as you think.  TBH, I think the last time that I saw a tier difference on a non-premium position was 2005 when I had AJ Hawk and Vernon Davis as the last of the "elite" tier and both were non-premium positions.  There's also the trade variable.  There are teams that are likely interested in moving up.  You might not get 4 quarters for that dollar you're selling.  But you can get 95 cents for that dollar, and you're moving into a group of players you think can have that same level of impact but not have that confidence there.

Semantics... (round grade vs tiers)... maybe I should have been more specific. I tier out players when I dive into the draft too. You also assume RB isn’t a premium position for MLF but we drafted a RB in the 2nd round last year and also a FB/HB in round 3 so IF, Etinene is a tier 1 and there are no more in that tier for MLF and Gute, then they should take him. 

I never said he would be rated that high for me, just making the case that you draft the best player you can according to your rankings. Not taking anyone you have rated higher because they don’t fit into a premium position is bad judgement. 

Look at Tampa’s defense. White is a difference maker for sure on that defense. I’d totally take him over Kevin King in the draft. I had a higher rating on White than King but King was the “premium” position player. I would have been right. 

Just my opinion and I think it’s the same for many GM’s. Past drafts prove that out. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

40 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Semantics... (round grade vs tiers)... maybe I should have been more specific. I tier out players when I dive into the draft too. You also assume RB isn’t a premium position for MLF but we drafted a RB in the 2nd round last year and also a FB/HB in round 3 so IF, Etinene is a tier 1 and there are no more in that tier for MLF and Gute, then they should take him. 

The farther you get away from the first round, the less position premiums become a thing.  Nobody bats an eye when you use a back end of the 2nd round pick on a RB.  But if you draft a RB in the top 10, they better be an elite RB on Day 1.  The problem is you just drafted a RB on Day 2 last year.  Let's assume that Etienne takes all of Aaron Jones' snaps, that's 539 snaps (52% of all the offensive snaps).  Are you really comfortable using TWO top 64 picks on part-time players?

43 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

Look at Tampa’s defense. White is a difference maker for sure on that defense. I’d totally take him over Kevin King in the draft. I had a higher rating on White than King but King was the “premium” position player. I would have been right. 

I'd argue Devin White is a more complete player than most of us gave him credit for.  Remember Deion Jones?  Packers fans roasted TT for not taking Deion Jones to add speed to the defense.  How much better would the Falcons be with Yannick Ngakoue or James Bradberry instead?  Of course you'd take White over King.  White was a much better prospect than Kevin King was.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The farther you get away from the first round, the less position premiums become a thing.  Nobody bats an eye when you use a back end of the 2nd round pick on a RB.  But if you draft a RB in the top 10, they better be an elite RB on Day 1.  The problem is you just drafted a RB on Day 2 last year.  Let's assume that Etienne takes all of Aaron Jones' snaps, that's 539 snaps (52% of all the offensive snaps).  Are you really comfortable using TWO top 64 picks on part-time players?

I'd argue Devin White is a more complete player than most of us gave him credit for.  Remember Deion Jones?  Packers fans roasted TT for not taking Deion Jones to add speed to the defense.  How much better would the Falcons be with Yannick Ngakoue or James Bradberry instead?  Of course you'd take White over King.  White was a much better prospect than Kevin King was.

Not only was he a better prospect than King we never even had a shot at drafting White without trading up. 

9 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:

Not only was he a better prospect than King we never even had a shot at drafting White without trading up. 

TJ Watt should have been our pick, and I was pounding the table for him at the time.  Watt was my #13 ranked prospect that year and by far BPA.  I had Kevin King as the 20th best prospect and the last player with a top 20.  Devin White was an easy top 10 grade.  I think the only top 5 grades I have out that year were Quinnen Williams and Joey Bosa.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The farther you get away from the first round, the less position premiums become a thing.  Nobody bats an eye when you use a back end of the 2nd round pick on a RB.  But if you draft a RB in the top 10, they better be an elite RB on Day 1.  The problem is you just drafted a RB on Day 2 last year.  Let's assume that Etienne takes all of Aaron Jones' snaps, that's 539 snaps (52% of all the offensive snaps).  Are you really comfortable using TWO top 64 picks on part-time players? If I get Jones production without adding another big contract, sure.  I get what your saying but we are picking 29 right?  We don’t have a top 10 pick  

I'd argue Devin White is a more complete player than most of us gave him credit for.  Remember Deion Jones?  Packers fans roasted TT for not taking Deion Jones to add speed to the defense.  How much better would the Falcons be with Yannick Ngakoue or James Bradberry instead?  Of course you'd take White over King.  White was a much better prospect than Kevin King was. Again, your argument is you take the premium position and King was very highly rated too, not like White but your argument says take King  I’m saying at 29 I take White.  Where White was taken, the argument is bs Ward or Jaier. Closer rating and I take the CB  

My argument is that if the Packers have Etinene rated a tier above premium, you take him  Just like Love last year only that was tier vs need. 

Edited by MantyWrestler