2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Did a mock sim on this forum, here was my results. Same thing that happened in 2020 happened again, CBs and WRs all went off the board right before I picked, and I refused to reach. Think this would set up our OL for years to come. Would probably need to call back Snacks or a DL like Casey post draft. May want to add a vet CB or WR too.

• Green Bay Packers
    • 1st Rnd - Pick 29 | Overall: 29 | GB selects Samuel Cosmi - T
    • 3rd Rnd - Pick 5 | Overall: 69 | GB selects Milton Williams - DE
    • 3rd Rnd - Pick 24 | Overall: 88 | GB selects Josh Myers - C
    • 4th Rnd - Pick 6 | Overall: 111 | GB selects Benjamin St-Juste - CB
    • 5th Rnd - Pick 24 | Overall: 168 | GB selects Divine Deablo - S
    • 5th Rnd - Pick 29 | Overall: 173 | GB selects Janarius Robinson - DE
    • 6th Rnd - Pick 15 | Overall: 199 | GB selects Jalen Camp - WR
    • 6th Rnd - Pick 25 | Overall: 209 | GB selects Dez Fitzpatrick - WR
    • 6th Rnd - Pick 30 | Overall: 214 | GB selects Darren Hall - CB
    • 6th Rnd - Pick 36 | Overall: 220 | GB selects Nick Niemann - ILB
    • 6th Rnd - Pick 43 | Overall: 227 | GB selects Pooka Williams Jr. - RB
    • 7th Rnd - Pick 7 | Overall: 235 | GB selects Michael Strachan - WR

Okay....thats informative, but not as much as if you do another one....but reach this time!  :)

26 minutes ago, R T said:

This is worth listening to, the part that fans don't know are the 'ands' or 'buts' of the scouting reports. 

Will Brinson on Twitter: "“Strength coach wouldn’t piss on him if he was on fire” is a line https://t.co/TaQpAJ7Wg0" / Twitter

LOL that's an hilarious quote. Excellent points made by Coach though. 

Edited by Joe

For anyone who watched this, I thought the same thing as he was giving this answer. What does the weather have to do with being short or tall? Ask Scottie Miller if he had trouble in the cold torching King's *** at the end of the first half. 

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

For anyone who watched this, I thought the same thing as he was giving this answer. What does the weather have to do with being short or tall? Ask Scottie Miller if he had trouble in the cold torching King's *** at the end of the first half. 

Generally cold turf neutralizes speed . Generally bigger receivers are better blockers. Generally you want to pound the ball in colder weather instead of throwing because it's believed to be more conducive to winning, and easier to accomplish. Noticed I used the term "generally" a lot....just spit balling here.

• Like 1

Gute

45 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It can be windy and cold. It's harder to throw the football accurately. You heard Rodgers say on the sideline pic in TB that he was 6" off ..... in perfect weather. Hell Rodgers even talked about how body catchers throw off his timing. That's how precise things can be in the pass game. Now picture a 5'-6" guy 20 yards down field (he's the guy that looks like a fire hydrant) with an arm length of 28" in an NFL window. You have zero room for error as a QB. And a 50/50 ball to Adams becomes a 5/95 ball to Moore. It ain't rocket science. Gute should have asked "do you play xbox or playstation"

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

I’m not necessarily against taking a WR Round 1 if one is there justifying in terms of value.  I am 100% against doing anything just to “satisfy” a player including Rodgers.  And in this draft, I don’t think a WR will be there value wise

9 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I’m not necessarily against taking a WR Round 1 if one is there justifying in terms of value.  I am 100% against doing anything just to “satisfy” a player including Rodgers.  And in this draft, I don’t think a WR will be there value wise

But let’s say gb does take a WR with their first pick, either at 29 or a trade (up or down), who is your guy?

46 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But let’s say gb does take a WR with their first pick, either at 29 or a trade (up or down), who is your guy?

I don't have a guy, but probably the only guy that the Packers would take 29th or better yet a trade back into the 2nd is Bateman. Probably the only other 2nd round player they would spend that much draft capital on is Dyami Brown later in the 2nd round. Don't see a smorgasbord of early round options for the Packers, but the later rounds are a different story. Would not be surprised to see a repeat of 2018 with a pick in the 4th,5th and 6th rounds or something like that.  

https://www.packers.com/video/brian-gutekunst-we-ve-been-knocking-on-the-door-for-two-years-and-we-d-like-to-f

Not sure if this was linked, but the full Gute interview from yesterday.  

In this one, he's pretty open about his interest to trade up.  For a guy who he really likes, and looks to be a difference-maker for this team.  I don't blame him, really.  Several posters have tossed out numbers like 23 for first-tier players.   *IF* the Packers have that kind of a grouping, and their group is dwindling fast, suppose there's one that they think is both at the high tier AND fits one of our needs (such that the guy may be a difference-maker for us by year two if not sooner).   *If* you can snag that guy by moving up 3-4 spots, at the cost of a 4th, how would I blame him?   But the draft has it's own unique flow, so that may not happen at all; has to be the right player, at the right cost.  

Obviously it's all about the scouting, and scouting accurately.  It always is, whether trading up or down.  Think trading up for Spriggs was smart? oops!  Thought trading up for Matthews was smart; brilliant.  But I think Gute trusts his scouting enough to make those moves.  

3 minutes ago, craig said:

https://www.packers.com/video/brian-gutekunst-we-ve-been-knocking-on-the-door-for-two-years-and-we-d-like-to-f

Not sure if this was linked, but the full Gute interview from yesterday.  

In this one, he's pretty open about his interest to trade up.  For a guy who he really likes, and looks to be a difference-maker for this team.  I don't blame him, really.  Several posters have tossed out numbers like 23 for first-tier players.   *IF* the Packers have that kind of a grouping, and their group is dwindling fast, suppose there's one that they think is both at the high tier AND fits one of our needs (such that the guy may be a difference-maker for us by year two if not sooner).   *If* you can snag that guy by moving up 3-4 spots, at the cost of a 4th, how would I blame him?   But the draft has it's own unique flow, so that may not happen at all; has to be the right player, at the right cost.  

Obviously it's all about the scouting, and scouting accurately.  It always is, whether trading up or down.  Think trading up for Spriggs was smart? oops!  Thought trading up for Matthews was smart; brilliant.  But I think Gute trusts his scouting enough to make those moves.  

If the Packers don’t trade up in this draft, extend/restructure Rodgers, make one significant free agent signing after the draft AND make an in-season trade or free agent signing, I will swear off Gute for life and become Outpost312.0

That or I’ll just quit football again.

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

I think trading up is more likely than trading down.  I know a lot of posted mocks have us trading down, gathering more picks, and then having more ammo to move around and get targets in rounds 2 and 3.  

But I think the trade up is more likely.  Assuming Gute has a top 20-23 or whatever; not everybody else will have the same valuation.  So I think it's risky to assume any of those top tier guys will slide all the way to 29 (although I hope they do).  But since every team evaluates differently, Gute's top 20 is not going to duplicate anybody else's.  One of his top-20 has a statistical chance to drift somewhere within tradeup reach.  

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

If the Packers don’t trade up in this draft, extend/restructure Rodgers, make one significant free agent signing after the draft AND make an in-season trade or free agent signing, I will swear off Gute for life and become Outpost312.0

That or I’ll just quit football again.

Interesting!  Those were all AND not OR things, as I read you!  :):). So you might already have sworn off Gute and be Outpost312 with 52 hours.