2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Talking heads are going to keep mocking WRs to GB in the 1st rd until the year it finally happens. Even if it’s not until Aaron Rodgers’ future son suits up at QB.  

The Packers have drafted 1 first round WR in 30 years. Don't worry, they'll get it right eventually.

20 minutes ago, Striker said:

The Packers have drafted 1 first round WR in 30 years. Don't worry, they'll get it right eventually.

It's been 19 actually (Walker), but yea, it's not likely. The reason why I think this "could be" the year is because: (1) I really think Gute planned on going WR last year if Jefferson or Aiyuk would have been there, and (2), we literally don't have a WR under contract for next season so taking a WR actually fits the Packer narrative of "drafting for the future" much like the Dillon pick last year. 

Bears outbid Patriots to trade up for QB

Bill Belichick's $300 million free-agent spending spree showed he still is full of surprises. Smart money has the Patriots calling to inquire about trading up from No. 15 if their preferred quarterback slides. In this scenario, it’s Lance. But the team on the other end of the call – Broncos here – say they already have a Godfather offer from the Bears. Hot-seat GM Ryan Pace and coach Matt Nagy mortgage the future. If their rookie quarterback looks promising, they buy more time. If he doesn’t, they get fired and their replacements start off with less 2022 draft capital. Ownership better have to sign off on a move like this one.

New York Post

///

Now that DENs moved a 6th to get Bridgewater - its more likely IMO they'll bargain off their draft slot and trade down. Be interesting to see who we'll be facing as CHIs QB.

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

It's been 19 actually (Walker), but yea, it's not likely. The reason why I think this "could be" the year is because: (1) I really think Gute planned on going WR last year if Jefferson or Aiyuk would have been there, and (2), we literally don't have a WR under contract for next season so taking a WR actually fits the Packer narrative of "drafting for the future" much like the Dillon pick last year. 

Davante's signing is inevitable, so is Lazard because he's a RFA. So you can pretty much say we've got 2 of our 3 for next year.

It's really MVS that's the question mark.

I think you're right that WR will be double dipped on this year for that reason, but I highly doubt it's in round 1. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Davante's signing is inevitable, so is Lazard because he's a RFA. So you can pretty much say we've got 2 of our 3 for next year.

It's really MVS that's the question mark.

I think you're right that WR will be double dipped on this year for that reason, but I highly doubt it's in round 1. 

I think people are way over-thinking it. If Bateman is on the board at 29, the Packers aren't going to pass on him "because he's a WR and we don't draft WRs in the first round." Now, will the Packers move up for a WR? Probably not, but if he's there at 29, I have a very hard time believing the Packers won't have him at the top of the board (minus some other guy falling like Newsome). 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I think people are way over-thinking it. If Bateman is on the board at 29, the Packers aren't going to pass on him "because he's a WR and we don't draft WRs in the first round." Now, will the Packers move up for a WR? Probably not, but if he's there at 29, I have a very hard time believing the Packers won't have him at the top of the board (minus some other guy falling like Newsome). 

Let me guess, if not a WR we'll take the best ILB available right?

Do you think it's coincidence that this regime has been in power for 16 drafts now and we've had lots of WRs available in round 1 for us to take, and we're 0 for 16? Seems to me we have positional multipliers that factor into our grade.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Striker said:

And the Lions have draft 6 in that time frame. Three year in a row 2003-2005, Charles Rogers 2nd overall, Roy Williams 7th overall and Mike Williams 10 overall. If only the Packers could get this draft thing right and be like the Lions. 🙄 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Let me guess, if not a WR we'll take the best ILB available right?

Do you think it's coincidence that this regime has been in power for 16 drafts now and we've had lots of WRs available in round 1 for us to take, and we're 0 for 16? Seems to me we have positional multipliers that factor into our grade.

I don't think Gute is necessarily Ted Thompson. He's proven that in a lot of ways since 2018, including the way he moves around the draft, as well as his selection of Jaire. Moreover, again, there's ample reason to believe, per Gute himself, that WR was in play last season in the first round, the guys just weren't on the board when we were up. If Gute likes Bateman (or another WR) as much as he liked Aiyuk last season, there's a good chance he'll be the pick, especially when we don't have a glaring need at another position. 

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
43 minutes ago, Striker said:

It's been 19 actually (Walker), but yea, it's not likely

I suspect we didn't take any 1st round WRs in the 10 years before Walker, either - thus a single 1st round WR in the last 30 years ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think Gute is necessarily Ted Thompson. He's proven that in a lot of ways since 2018, including the way he moves around the draft, as well as his selection of Jaire. Moreover, again, there's ample reason to believe, per Gute himself, that WR was in play last season in the first round, the guys just weren't on the board when we were up. If Gute likes Bateman (or another WR) as much as he liked Aiyuk last season, there's a good chance he'll be the pick, especially when we don't have a glaring need at another position. 

Is there any real prove that Gutes liked Aiyuk as much as this narrative that fans and media pushed post draft? Front offices are not going to correct anyone headed down an empty rabbit hole if they have nothing to gain from it. 

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I suspect we didn't take any 1st round WRs in the 10 years before Walker, either - thus a single 1st round WR in the last 30 years ;)

Good catch. I misread as none in 30 years. Probably the case. Either way, my only point is that if there ever was a year for the Packers to go WR in round 1, this might be it based on several factors that been talked about throughout this process. Just depends on how much they like the guy versus what's left on the board. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

Is there any real prove that Gutes liked Aiyuk as much as this narrative that fans and media pushed post draft? Front offices are not going to correct anyone headed down an empty rabbit hole if they have nothing to gain from it. 

Is there any real proof that any GM liked any prospect they didn't draft? Probably not. When you draft a guy, he's the only guy you wanted, when you don't draft a guy, you weren't interested in him. I do recall from the San Fran perspective at least, there was talk, I think from Lynch, that they moved up to get Aiyuk specifically to get in front of us, so they either knew something or at least thought they knew something there. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Actually longer that that. Walker was draft in 2002 by Sherman, before that it was Sterling Sharpe in 1988. Zero WR drafted by the Packers in the 1st round by Wolf, Thompson and Gutes combined.  

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Is there any real proof that any GM liked any prospect they didn't draft? Probably not. When you draft a guy, he's the only guy you wanted, when you don't draft a guy, you weren't interested in him. I do recall from the San Fran perspective at least, there was talk, I think from Lynch, that they moved up to get Aiyuk specifically to get in front of us, so they either knew something or at least thought they knew something there. 

The problem with your comment 'If Gute likes Bateman (or another WR) as much as he liked Aiyuk last season', is that you stated it as fact and there is no factual proof that he liked Aiyuk in the 1st round at all.

What gets lost in all this talk about WRs in round 1 is that we drafted Jordy Nelson 36th overall who we can all agree is one of the best WRs Green Bay has had during the Rodgers era. Is there a real difference between pick 29 and 36?