Jump to content

2021 NFL Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, R T said:

The problem with your comment 'If Gute likes Bateman (or another WR) as much as he liked Aiyuk last season', is that you stated it as fact and there is no factual proof that he liked Aiyuk in the 1st round at all.

Let me state it another way: I believe there were several reports around the league, before, during and after the draft that the Packers liked Aiyuk. If you're requiring me to provide a statement from Gute himself that he wanted to draft Aiyuk in order to state that as "fact," then, you're right, I don't have that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

What gets lost in all this talk about WRs in round 1 is that we drafted Jordy Nelson 36th overall who we can all agree is one of the best WRs Green Bay has had during the Rodgers era. Is there a real difference between pick 29 and 36? 

Yes, because 36 is the second round and doesn't fit into the national talking heads complaining that the Packers have never given Rodgers a first round weapon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

What gets lost in all this talk about WRs in round 1 is that we drafted Jordy Nelson 36th overall who we can all agree is one of the best WRs Green Bay has had during the Rodgers era. Is there a real difference between pick 29 and 36? 

would you be upset if we traded pick 29 for pick 36 straight up?

but to answer the intent: there's not much difference value-wise except you get an extra year at a potentially more valuable position using a 1st round pick on them. Thus, using 1st round picks on positions that age well and demand lucrative 2nd contracts is a SIGNIFICANT advantage. More contract leverage, and a bonus cheap year of a potentially high caliber player at a premium position.

Edited by incognito_man
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Let me state it another way: I believe there were several reports around the league, before, during and after the draft that the Packers liked Aiyuk. If you're requiring me to provide a statement from Gute himself that he wanted to draft Aiyuk in order to state that as "fact," then, you're right, I don't have that. 

Qualifying that it is just gossip, sure that is better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

would you be upset if we traded pick 29 for pick 36 straight up?

Would you not take a player at 29 because you only thought he'd be worth taking at 36? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Would you not take a player at 29 because you only thought he'd be worth taking at 36? 

correct. I wouldn't take a player at 29 that I thought was valued at 36.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, R T said:

Yes, because 36 is the second round and doesn't fit into the national talking heads complaining that the Packers have never given Rodgers a first round weapon.  

The point being more that obviously there was value in drafting Nelson, our highest drafted WR since Javon Walker. It worked. Whether Nelson was drafted at 32 (thus being a 1st rounder) or 36 is basically irrelevant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The point being more that obviously there was value in drafting Nelson, our highest drafted WR since Javon Walker. It worked. Whether Nelson was drafted at 32 (thus being a 1st rounder) or 36 is basically irrelevant. 

And whether Bakhtiari was drafted at 32 (thus being a 1st rounder) or 109th overall is basically irrlevant. Got it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, R T said:

And whether Bakhtiari was drafted at 32 (thus being a 1st rounder) or 109th overall is basically irrlevant. Got it. 

Now I'm lost, but it's cool. We can tie a bow on this one. 

In all honesty, I'm excited about tomorrow but I can find justification in just about any direction the Packers go, whether its WR, OT, IOL, DL, EDGE or CB/S. None of those positions would surprise me given the current make-up of our squad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That it did. If only he was the standard for 7th round hit rate, haha. 

IIRC the hit rate at WR in the First Round is 30% - the lowest of all positions. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cannondale said:

IIRC the hit rate at WR in the First Round is 30% - the lowest of all positions. 

Draft is a crap shoot, period. That's why you need to pick the right player. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Draft is a crap shoot, period. That's why you need to pick the right player. 

 
 
b03tvB9G_normal.jpg
 
The whole “NFL draft is a crapshoot” narrative in a way just trivializes the lives of young men. Every drafted player is either highly skilled or possesses developmental physical traits. Some don’t pan out because job/family stresses are too great to handle in their early 20’s.
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Draft is a crap shoot, period. That's why you need to pick the right player. 

Those two sentences contradict each other. I'm giving you a hard time because you want a WR in the First and the value is rarely there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...