2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Cap savings (numbers from https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2021/)

I am not advocating cutting anyone at this moment.  Spotrac estimates that we are 18.3 million over the cap for 2021.  I don't know if that includes a rookie pool or not.

Davante Adams - 13 million

Za'Darius Smith - 10 million

Preston Smith - 8 million

Adrian Amos - 4 million

Billy Turner - 3 million

Rick Wagner - 4 million

Dean Lowry - 3 million

Christian Kirksey - 6 million

Aaron Rodgers - 5 million

There are a lot of guys that save us about 1 million to 700k, but then you have to sign someone new, and they probably eat all of that money right back up.  

I think our easiest would be Kirksey + whichever of Wagner or Turner we think is worse.  Our best economic move is cutting Davante and Za'Darius, though that is a pretty poor football move.  

Kirksey. Lowry before Wagner and Turner for me. Oline had been great. D line needs a serious reboot

Edited by Arthur Penske

11 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Kirksey. Lowry before Wagner and Turner for me. Oline had been great. D line needs a serious reboot

I just don't know how we can keep both Turner and Wagner, if the cap really is going to be a crunch.  While I would rather keep both, I think cutting Wagner and going with Turner and a cheap rookie at RT is a better use of that space.  Keep in mind, everyone else listed requires an immediate replacement.  

54 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just don't know how we can keep both Turner and Wagner, if the cap really is going to be a crunch.  While I would rather keep both, I think cutting Wagner and going with Turner and a cheap rookie at RT is a better use of that space.  Keep in mind, everyone else listed requires an immediate replacement.  

Agreed.  One of them is likely gone.

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I mostly agree if the cap stays, but Lowry is an easier release than either IMO 

8 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I mostly agree if the cap stays, but Lowry is an easier release than either IMO 

Releasing Lowry creates an extra $3.3M.  By releasing Wagner, you save $4.25M.  By releasing Turner, you save $3.55M.  The money is similar enough.  Releasing Lowry doesn't have any impact on Turner or Wagner.

2 hours ago, SAM said:

The Packers usually draft Defense first. So Why do they still have a defense that struggles'? Asking for a friend.  

You could ask the same question about the Eagles, who have been throwing premium picks at the offense for a good 4-5 years now, with little to show for it.  Likewise how the Packers offense manages to be so good with so few high picks.

But the long and short of it is that you usually spend high picks on defense since athleticism is at more of a premium at every position on defense than its corresponding position on offense.  A lot of time when you get super freaky athletes on offense it indicates some sort of mindset/personality issue; like if Noah Fant wanted to be a DE he could be a really good one... he just doesn't want to.

Yah, we need to draft WR's.  Maybe round 2 at the earliest.  Our WR corp is rounding out nicely right now.  And the same group comes back next year, along with Funchess.  I think you gotta prepare for the future at WR, which is why you draft one or two to develop, but the present is working out very, very well.

We absolutely need a corner.  I'd look at that high.  Along with IDL.  Safety would be next up for me and that is a luxury pick in the first round, so I'd rather grab one later.

Yah, first pick is CB/IDL with a pretty overwhelming nod to CB in my book.

35 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Draft a pair of WRs in rounds 3-7 and let the competition begin. 

Just Let Tempson call in the 2nd round WR pick from Texas so you know its a sure thing.

Edit: I just noticed TT is no longer listed as a Packer employee. Not sure when/how I missed that? I thought he was a consultant. Maybe for just a year?

Edited by Arthur Penske