2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

I think we need to take CB very high. With King probably leaving and low cap space.

Dline is obviously a priority.

LB anywhere from rounds 3rd round or lower. Makes me think on the Josh Jones pick back from '17.

He would be PERFECT in that Raven Greene type role. Is he still doing well for the Jaguars?

24 minutes ago, GHARMON9 said:

I think we need to take CB very high. With King probably leaving and low cap space.

Let's do a little exercise.  I agree that we really will need a CB and DL.  Let's assume that King and Lowry are gone.  Let's also assume that we pick ~30th.  And the final assumption is, let's assume that this draft doesn't have a hidden gem or super busts, and the Packers draft just average players relative to their draft slot.  What helps this team more, a CB or DL?  

I like Hollman, Sullivan, and even Samuels.  I think Jackson is serviceable as is, and we have one more year of rookie contract with him.  One would hope that they would all step up their game some, should they be the starters, but I think we have some pieces already in place.  As for the line, that leaves us with Clark and Keke, and a likely cheap RFA Lancaster.  We also have ERFA Anthony Rush, but he is a complete unknown at this point.  So, it is pretty obvious that I like our CBs better than our DL, right? That said, I think for the Packers it is a better selection to take the CB.  As much as the fan base is hand wringing over Pettine, we probably won't fire a coordinator that produced a league average defense on a division winning team.  With the way that Pettine has shown that he uses DL, I don't know that adding someone that isn't a superstar is a vast improvement over the Clark-Keke-Lancaster grouping.  So I am taking the CB.

2 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

LB anywhere from rounds 3rd round or lower. Makes me think on the Josh Jones pick back from '17.

He would be PERFECT in that Raven Greene type role. Is he still doing well for the Jaguars?

He didnt want to play the raven role with us, i believe why raven got the role.

On 12/15/2020 at 6:00 PM, moretti19 said:

I’m thinking we go a 3/4 Defensive End, Corner, or O-Line. 

This is also my hope for the draft, which means it is not likely to happen; grab a DL in the 1st, CB in the 2nd, and then OC or RT in the 3rd. 

Would like to see us add a veteran run stuffer along with a first round pick. Those two things, along with Keke developing another year and a healthy Clark could be a quick turnaround for our line. Would also go CB whether we resign King or not. I like Sullivan but if we could upgrade our nickel and dime packages plus have insurance for King, that would be great. 

On 12/18/2020 at 10:47 AM, Kepler said:

Gutey gonna drop the first all DL draft in NFL history

While I hope we go DL, CB, OL in the first three rounds, I would actually be alright if we went DL in the 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd depending on if we resign Kevin King. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

He didnt want to play the raven role with us, i believe why raven got the role.

Remember his game versus the Bengals? Is that not  the same role? Now that you brought it back up I do remember he didn't want to do LB assignments.

I'm locked in on corner in the first round.  You can't have enough of them.

I'd like an IDL as well, but I feel like there's always IDL in free agency that can come in and play a role.  I'd take IDL later and go bargain shopping for an IDL.  And I'd love it if the guy can interchange with Clark so we can let Clark penetrate more and do less anchoring.  I'd like to see us turn Clark loose and see what happens.

So, round one CB.  Round two, IDL.

Third round, WR.  Wouldn't mind moving up in the third to get a guy.

Safety in the fourth to play the Raven Greene role.

Maybe think about a kicker if Crosby says he doesn't want to play anymore.  If not, go shopping and see what athletes are out there.

Which means we will go WR in round one, ILB round two and kicker in round 3.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Let's do a little exercise.  I agree that we really will need a CB and DL.  Let's assume that King and Lowry are gone.  Let's also assume that we pick ~30th.  And the final assumption is, let's assume that this draft doesn't have a hidden gem or super busts, and the Packers draft just average players relative to their draft slot.  What helps this team more, a CB or DL?  

I like Hollman, Sullivan, and even Samuels.  I think Jackson is serviceable as is, and we have one more year of rookie contract with him.  One would hope that they would all step up their game some, should they be the starters, but I think we have some pieces already in place.  As for the line, that leaves us with Clark and Keke, and a likely cheap RFA Lancaster.  We also have ERFA Anthony Rush, but he is a complete unknown at this point.  So, it is pretty obvious that I like our CBs better than our DL, right? That said, I think for the Packers it is a better selection to take the CB.  As much as the fan base is hand wringing over Pettine, we probably won't fire a coordinator that produced a league average defense on a division winning team.  With the way that Pettine has shown that he uses DL, I don't know that adding someone that isn't a superstar is a vast improvement over the Clark-Keke-Lancaster grouping.  So I am taking the CB.

King is a must re-sign for me. We have replacements for Linsley and Jones on our roster. We can cut Lowry, Kirksey and Wagner and I highly highly doubt the NFL drops the cap, the NFLPA won't allow that. We'll have room to fit King. 

That leaves us set on CB and lets us focus on DL/OL/RB/WR in the draft, with some depth picks at ILB/DB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

King is a must re-sign for me. We have replacements for Linsley and Jones on our roster. We can cut Lowry, Kirksey and Wagner and I highly highly doubt the NFL drops the cap, the NFLPA won't allow that. We'll have room to fit King. 

That leaves us set on CB and lets us focus on DL/OL/RB/WR in the draft, with some depth picks at ILB/DB.

I'd like King back, too, but the injuries are worrisome.  Jackson is okay if he has to play.  Sullivan has proven to be better than okay.

But even if King comes back, I'm still looking corner.  Though maybe not in round one.

I could be "sold" on a Baker/Matthieu/Adams type of "gadget" LB/S guy.  Even in round one as it seems like that kind of player/position makes game altering plays.

14 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

how much do we have to give up to get marvin wilson?

did he put in a rough year to fall to us?

Hard to tell.  He's had a poor year, and his stock probably isn't as high as it was last year.  He's probably a Day 2 pick as of irght now, but as I mentioned it's a pretty poor DL class as a whole which means they'll likely get overdrafted.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd like King back, too, but the injuries are worrisome.  Jackson is okay if he has to play.  Sullivan has proven to be better than okay.

But even if King comes back, I'm still looking corner.  Though maybe not in round one.

I could be "sold" on a Baker/Matthieu/Adams type of "gadget" LB/S guy.  Even in round one as it seems like that kind of player/position makes game altering plays.

I'm totally fine paying King to play 70% of the games in the season. 

I know that's a touchy subject for a lot of the armchair GMs in these parts, but an 8/10 CB for 12 games a year is far better than a 5/10 for 16. That's worth 10 per to me all day. Especially with the fact we have a late 30s QB and need to win now.

• Like 2