2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

On 12/19/2020 at 1:08 PM, Packerraymond said:

King is a must re-sign for me. We have replacements for Linsley and Jones on our roster. We can cut Lowry, Kirksey and Wagner and I highly highly doubt the NFL drops the cap, the NFLPA won't allow that. We'll have room to fit King. 

That leaves us set on CB and lets us focus on DL/OL/RB/WR in the draft, with some depth picks at ILB/DB.

I agree with you on King and Linsley, but I'm not so sure about Jones. I've resigned to the fact that he'll leave for more money - hence the reason Drew Rosenhaus is his agent now(ugh), but I don't see us drafting a RB early with Jamaal Williams really stepping up his play and AJ Dillon beginning to slowly pan out. Also, I can't see us drafting a WR early at this point unless we like Rondale Moore to replace Ervin in his respectable role or we think we can make Terrace Marshall a physical receiver. In fact, if you look at the rankings in the link below...

https://thedraftnetwork.com/prospect-rankings

...you'll notice that there really isn't that 6-4, 225-235 receiver that we typically like to draft until Nico Collins who kinda looks the part but kinda doesn't. Also, our OL is pretty well set sparing RT of the future which we all know there are plenty of solid prospects to fill that role in this draft. 

Personally, I'm starting to think that this is the year we finally make that investment along the IDL - especially if/when Pettine puts up another clunker in the playoffs. If you really look at this team, you'll notice that we're pretty much fine at 5-tech with plenty of youth and two bonafide starters who can be moved around; we have a very similar situation at OL. We have the QB room set and if Jones is back the RB room is all but set. ILB has drastically improved this year but could use another body; Safety is in that category as well under different auspices. CB could use some improvement regardless of whether or not King is back. I personally want to see more Hollman, but have a strong gut feeling that Gutey will feel differently come draft day; I have similar feelings about TE. You'll also notice that our WR's not named Davante all serve different roles within the offense. I honestly don't feel that depth isn't too much of an issue on this team for the mostpart except for DB and probably TE given Sternberger's inconsistencies. This next draft will probably produce a lot of frustrating head scratchers as a result as we will once again be building for the future. My vote is to tackle the IDL hard, get that future RT and begin developing him, find his back-up on Day 3, add another CB early, and then find an ILB with a different skill set from Barnes and Martin. We've got extra picks on Day 3 to either move up earlier or stay put and take a chance with Nico Collins or Tarik Black.

Edited by Joe

I'm not worried about WR next year, because we have Devin Funchess coming back (I think?). Adams, Funchess, Lazard, MVS, EQ, Austin, Ervin are good enough for me.

As for RB, Dillon looks more like a replacement for Williams than Jones. If we have to choose between Williams and Jones, I would take Jones. For me a Jones/Dillon combo is much more attractive than a Williams/Dillon combo. 

As for the draft, we'll be drawing near the end of the first round, so normally skill positions are pretty picked over. Good OL-men sometimes slip down, like Bulaga, so I think we get a T and that's fine for our needs. 

And as always with all teams we need to beef up CB. If a CB with starter ability slides down to us, that's a no-brainer. 

3 hours ago, Joe said:

Also, I can't see us drafting a WR early at this point unless we like Rondale Moore to replace Ervin in his respectable role or we think we can make Terrace Marshall a physical receiver.

We're not drafting a gadget player in the first round.  Ervin has played in 15% of the offensive snaps, and he's never played in more than 40% of the offensive snaps.

27 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We're not drafting a gadget player in the first round.  Ervin has played in 15% of the offensive snaps, and he's never played in more than 40% of the offensive snaps.

I never said we'd draft Rondale Moore in the first round and I'd be very angry if we did given that he's not even a top-50 player in this draft and I bet he's one of the surprise players that falls to the 4th round. Terrace Marshall is currently slated as a late 1st so he'd obviously be the more likely candidate of the two if we went WR in the first, which I hope we do NOT do...

13 hours ago, spilltray said:

That just isn't true. He had an odd one that was adjusted and tightened up alot,but it wasn't terrible. This is really more of a Vince Young/Tim Tebow slow, wonky release. 

I see the athletic ability, but I don't really see a deadly passer.

Yeah, Rodgers had that Tedford mechanical motion but go back and look at his Butte/HS highlights. He throws exactly the same now as he did then.

22 hours ago, spilltray said:

That just isn't true. He had an odd one that was adjusted and tightened up alot,but it wasn't terrible. This is really more of a Vince Young/Tim Tebow slow, wonky release. 

I see the athletic ability, but I don't really see a deadly passer.

What?? There's no comparison to Tebow or Young in his release whatsoever. It's completely hand over the top, it's Manning's release. He does bring the ball down too low in the wind up, which he'll need to clean up as it gives defenders easy access to the ball on their rush. I watched him a bit more last night, seems like a pretty safe, elite QB prospect to me. I don't see the wow moments you get from Rodgers or Mahomes, but he's at worst Stafford/Ryan level QB.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What?? There's no comparison to Tebow or Young in his release whatsoever. It's completely hand over the top, it's Manning's release. He does bring the ball down too low in the wind up, which he'll need to clean up as it gives defenders easy access to the ball on their rush. I watched him a bit more last night, seems like a pretty safe, elite QB prospect to me. I don't see the wow moments you get from Rodgers or Mahomes, but he's at worst Stafford/Ryan level QB.

Just so I'm clear as to what's being discussed here, we're talking about Love's release being similar to Peyton's release, not Eli's? If so, I would actually have to agree as well. Young's issue was never his physical gifts, it was his mental issues that sunk him after his stellar rookie year. Tebow's issues were just not corrected and....well he was really the first of many recent Broncos QB's to flop.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Considering how badly NFL teams faceplant on picking QBs high over and over again, "we are almost entirely confident this guy will be good enough" is at a huge premium at QB.

good enough to do what? "good enough" is a premium on a rookie contract and a hindrance thereafter

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

good enough to do what? "good enough" is a premium on a rookie contract and a hindrance thereafter

I'll extend the "Trucks and Trailers" metaphor Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks are fond of- Some guys are trucks- good enough to pull the rest of the team towards greatness, some guys are trailers- good enough to get the job done if the rest of the team is good enough, and some guys are boulders- they keep you from getting anywhere.

Like the Broncos this year have a tremendous amount of pass catching talent, kept in check by their lack of quarterbacks, but even a league average passer would make that offense work.

On 12/15/2020 at 12:12 PM, Packerraymond said:

Maybe one days fans will realize we won't be drafting an ILB in round 1.

Probably accurate, but didn't the scouting Wolf try and get Urlacher and Ray Lewis?  He still impacts Ted/Gutey and that scouting tree I think.

Edited by Arthur Penske