2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

On 1/1/2021 at 12:11 AM, Gypsy1027 said:

As the talk here had focused on a mid-round wide receiver--then suddenly moved to an early round left tackle because of Bakh's injury, I have two names just for the purpose of discussion. Not claiming to be any kind of expert, but it appears to me that someone like Liam Eichenberg, a 6-6, 305 lb. tackle from Notre Dame, might be had in the middle of round two. And if we are looking for a mid-round receiver, say Round 4, I would toss out the name of Tamorrion Terry, a 6-4, 203 lb. pass catcher from Florida State. Eichenberg might be a little light in the pants--someone who needs to add some weight and strength, but what I read of him seems to support his pass-blocking ability, and he comes from a pretty good program. Terry strikes me as somebody very similar to MVS--he is tall, speedy, goes deep well, but has dropped some passes he shouldn't. The drops are an obvious concern, but good coaching and improved technique might offer some help. Anyway, I thought members might want to consider two guys who could fit our needs but not cost us a top draft pick.

Not much of a fan of Eichenberg from what I've seen.  Mayfield seems like the high floor OT that comes in and is just a solid pro for the next decade.  Samuel Cosmi has me intrigued with the athleticism and physical tools, but need a S&C room badly.  Rashawn Slater is intriguing with his physical tools, but I'm not sure he's got the athleticism that we seem to like.  Christian Darrisaw is probably the best OT prospect not named Penei Sewell, and will likely be gone before the Packers pick.

2 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Justin Fields had an incredible game especially with how banged up he was.  Little nitpick, some of those moves he tried to put on the Clemson players, he will possibly die on the field if he tries those in the NFL.  Im sure it was a learning experience though.  Cemented his #2 status.

Zach Wilson has something to say about that...

2 hours ago, HeresAGuy said:

Justin Fields had an incredible game especially with how banged up he was.  Little nitpick, some of those moves he tried to put on the Clemson players, he will possibly die on the field if he tries those in the NFL.  Im sure it was a learning experience though.  Cemented his #2 status.

How i would love Olave end of round 1, but I gotta see what the rest of the board looks like at 32 and who else could be there.

Fields had a nice box-score game, but I saw some real arm-talent limitations there. Consistently under-throwing balls and not a lot of zip. He's also not the runner that say Lamar Jackson is. Don't see a quality NFL QB there.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Not much of a fan of Eichenberg from what I've seen.  Mayfield seems like the high floor OT that comes in and is just a solid pro for the next decade.  Samuel Cosmi has me intrigued with the athleticism and physical tools, but need a S&C room badly.  Rashawn Slater is intriguing with his physical tools, but I'm not sure he's got the athleticism that we seem to like.  Christian Darrisaw is probably the best OT prospect not named Penei Sewell, and will likely be gone before the Packers pick.

What about Teven Jenkins? I'm thinking he'd be great in the 2nd.

Edited by Joe

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Fields had a nice box-score game, but I saw some real arm-talent limitations there. Consistently under-throwing balls and not a lot of zip. He's also not the runner that say Lamar Jackson is. Don't see a quality NFL QB there.

You are way off base if you you think arm talent is an issue for Fields.

Maybe because he took a shot to the ribs half way through Q2 that almost (and probably should have) knocked him out of the game?  Saying he has arm talent issues make me think you are being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.  Fields has some issues as a prospect. Arm talent isn't one of them.

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Maybe because he took a shot to the ribs half way through Q2 that almost (and probably should have) knocked him out of the game?  Saying he has arm talent issues make me think you are being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian.  Fields has some issues as a prospect. Arm talent isn't one of them.

I saw a couple before the rib shots. I know nothing about what other people think of him, so it's literally impossible for me to be a contrarian. I haven't read any other opinions on him in my life lol.

29 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Between your Lawrence has a bad release take and Fields has arm talent issues take, I guess I know now where to file your QB evaluations. lol.

I don't care what you think of them at all lol

I've very upfront about how little I've watched of them and provided some initial reactions. Only time will tell. Both CLEARLY have issues they need to resolve to become quality NFL starters, sometimes players have what it takes to make this fixes. Sometimes not.

Edited by incognito_man

4 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I dont watch enough college ball to get into an in depth discussion about this - but I did watch last nights game - and although Fields (apparently) came into the contest with some "flaws" in his game - I was impressed with a couple of the outright missiles he launched. I couldnt tell you if he'll be able to make all the throws required of a good NFL QB (dont much care either) - but he unleashed a few last night that went plenty far and long enough. 

He doesnt have Jared Allen's bazooka - but what he's got will pass in the NFL IMO.

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont watch enough college ball to get into an in depth discussion about this - but I did watch last nights game - and although Fields (apparently) came into the contest with some "flaws" in his game - I was impressed with a couple of the outright missiles he launched. I couldnt tell you if he'll be able to make all the throws required of a good NFL QB (dont much care either) - but he unleashed a few last night that went plenty far and long enough. 

He doesnt have Jared Allen's bazooka - but what he's got will pass in the NFL IMO.

he can throw it far, yes. But it's just very noticeable when a guy has a "live" arm, where the ball just zips out effortlessly with a flick of the wrist that you see from the elite passers like Mahomes and Rodgers and Wilson. Ball just looks kinda sluggish from Fields from what I saw.