2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Every other year I would agree, but this is a reduced cap post covid season.

Nobody knows anything this year.

Is Amos overpaid for his production?  No.  Do the Packers have a young player ready to take over?  No.  There's about a dozen moves we'd make before we would release Amos.  We're far more likely to extend him and lower his cap hit for this year then we are to release him.  We finally have a pair of competent safeties, and you want to release them to save some money.  Those cap savings are roughly $3.75M when you factor in a replacement player at a minimum salary.

Also, you have to wonder what might have happened this season if the Packers drafted for 2020 instead of 2021 and beyond, don’t you?

Sure.  I also know that if Jordan Love is a hit, we're going to go from a HoF QB in Brett Favre to another HoF QB in Aaron Rodgers to Love.  Remind me how the Bears have done finding their QB since Jim McMahon?  Or how the Vikings have replaced Daunte Culpepper?  If Love flops, this decision is going to loom large over the franchise.

Brooks, Queen, Igbinoghene, Higgins in one... Someone other than Dillon in two.

Pretty sure Brooks and Queen graded out poorly this year.  And I'd argue getting Barnes as an UDFA and Kamal Martin in the 4th round were infinitely better value then those two.  Don't think Noah Igninoghene plays over Kevin King.  And Tee Higgins is in the mix with our other WRs.  But as I've said before, our WRs weren't an issue.

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Is Amos overpaid for his production?  No.  Do the Packers have a young player ready to take over?  No.  There's about a dozen moves we'd make before we would release Amos.  We're far more likely to extend him and lower his cap hit for this year then we are to release him.  We finally have a pair of competent safeties, and you want to release them to save some money.  Those cap savings are roughly $3.75M when you factor in a replacement player at a minimum salary.

Sure.  I also know that if Jordan Love is a hit, we're going to go from a HoF QB in Brett Favre to another HoF QB in Aaron Rodgers to Love.  Remind me how the Bears have done finding their QB since Jim McMahon?  Or how the Vikings have replaced Daunte Culpepper?  If Love flops, this decision is going to loom large over the franchise.

Pretty sure Brooks and Queen graded out poorly this year.  And I'd argue getting Barnes as an UDFA and Kamal Martin in the 4th round were infinitely better value then those two.  Don't think Noah Igninoghene plays over Kevin King.  And Tee Higgins is in the mix with our other WRs.  But as I've said before, our WRs weren't an issue.

I don’t disagree with you on Amos.

Listen... Listen here, Cwood... There was nobody who wanted to sign Amos more than I did.  There is not an NFL fan that enjoys safety play more than I do.  There is nobody here who would be more upset than me if we cut Amos.

At the same time, the safety position is wildly undervalued across the NFL, it is a reduced cap season, it does save us either 4.5 or 5.5 million against the cap and nobody can tell how things are going to go in this reduced cap season.  My only point there.

I understand the value of Love.  I also understand the value in Super Bowl wins.  If drafting a different player now meant a Super Bowl now at the expense of a Super Bowl later, I take it.  Zero guarantees even if Love is the next Rodgers.  Rodgers has a single Super Bowl appearance.  Love doesn’t mean crap if we don’t have a defense around him.  A Super Bowl now is worth three in the future.

As far as Queen and Brooks, you don’t have to convince me we got the better value.  I’m the anti-ILB guy, remember?  Future worth, I take Barnes/Martin over even... Any ILB drafted in the first round this year considering positional value.  As far as them grading out poorly, you’re right.  Granted.  However, I’m of the opinion that 70% more (more, not total) of draft prospects hit and play better if in the right position on the right team in the right scheme.  Either way, my point remains...

A Super Bowl now is worth three later. I might be dead by the next three or quit football by then.  Gute might get fired before Love hits his potential.  

15 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I understand the value of Love.  I also understand the value in Super Bowl wins.  If drafting a different player now meant a Super Bowl now at the expense of a Super Bowl later, I take it.  Zero guarantees even if Love is the next Rodgers.  Rodgers has a single Super Bowl appearance.  Love doesn’t mean crap if we don’t have a defense around him.  A Super Bowl now is worth three in the future.

Except there's no guarantee that because you draft a player that can play this year means they get to the Super Bowl.  As I mentioned, Brooks and Queen graded out terribly this year.  They're as much a liability as they are a potential strength.  The only difference is I'm not choosing to look at them through rose colored glasses to fit my argument.  It's unlikely Igbi would have overtaken King as the starting boundary CB.

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

As far as Queen and Brooks, you don’t have to convince me we got the better value.  I’m the anti-ILB guy, remember?  Future worth, I take Barnes/Martin over even... Any ILB drafted in the first round this year considering positional value.  As far as them grading out poorly, you’re right.  Granted.  However, I’m of the opinion that 70% more (more, not total) of draft prospects hit and play better if in the right position on the right team in the right scheme.  Either way, my point remains...

You could make that argument for every bust.  There's no PROOF that Brooks or Queen would be good here.  Instead, you choose to make it fit because it benefits your argument.

25 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Is there rally an argument going on that Amos is going to get cut? 

Let it be known right here and right now I am bringing to attention the uncertainty of the reduced cap season.

If Rodgers counts 37 million against the cap as he is scheduled to, and if the cap is 180 or less million, yes.  Amos will be cut.

Really looking forward to find out who the next defensive coordinator is going to be - It will go a long way into helping us maybe identify scheme fits and particular likes for players in the upcoming draft that may fit with the new guy.

4 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does GB even target WR in the draft or FA with Adams, Lazard and MVS seeming pretty set and Funchess presumably coming in?  I would not be at all surprised if Gute runs this same group back + Funchess. 

That group still needs some speed. It was painfully evident against Tampa. Bowles was literally mic'd up telling his guys MVS was the only guy who could beat them over the top. Murphy-Bunting literally looked glued to Lazard the entire game. 

Still, I wouldn't draft a WR high. We missed our shot to do that last year when we burnt the pick on Love. 

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Every other year I would agree, but this is a reduced cap post covid season.

Nobody knows anything this year.

Also, you have to wonder what might have happened this season if the Packers drafted for 2020 instead of 2021 and beyond, don’t you?

Brooks, Queen, Igbinoghene, Higgins in one... Someone other than Dillon in two.

Based on how this year ended, this draft is going to forever have an asterisk no matter how Love/Dillon turn out.  Didn’t think that at all until 5 points kept us from the Super Bowl.

The obvious picks that were there at 30 were Winfield, Pittman and Claypool. Don't think the Packers would have taken Higgins or Shenault. 

Winfield would have been a rookie star on this team, probably as the nickel CB or dime S. Would an extra weapon like Pittman or Claypool have moved the needle enough to beat the Bucs, assuming all else stays the same? We'll never know but they sure as hell would have made more of a difference than Love this year. But here we are. 

If nothing else, I'm more excited about the draft this year because at least I know it can't be worse than 2020 in terms of shocking me in the first 3 rounds.

Edited by packfanfb

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That group still needs some speed. It was painfully evident against Tampa. Bowles was literally mic'd up telling his guys MVS was the only guy who could beat them over the top. Murphy-Bunting literally looked glued to Lazard the entire game. 

Still, I wouldn't draft a WR high. We missed our shot to do that last year when we burnt the pick on Love. 

Rodgers missed multiple open TD throws, so I am not sure it was evident at all.

I love Kadarius Toney and think he would be a great fit in our offense if he somehow makes it to 30.

Michael Carter in the 2nd would be a great replacement for Jones.  I also really like Kenny Gainwell a little later(3rd maybe) as he opted out.  Dillon and Gainwell would be a great combo for the future.  

This is a pretty deep draft for off-ball LBs and I think we could get a very solid player in the 3rd or 4th.  

I also think there are 4-5 starting caliber OCs in this draft, so we could go that direction in the 3rd or 4th.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The obvious picks that were there at 30 were Winfield, Pittman and Claypool. Don't think the Packers would have taken Higgins or Shenault.

I'd venture a guess that this is a LOT of hindsight going on here...

• Like 1