2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Denzel Mims, Patrick Queen, Kenneth Murray, Ross Blacklock, Jalen Reagor, Jeff Gladney, Laviska Shenault, Xavier McKinney

Plenty of guys mocked to us last year who AFAIK weren’t real difference-makers this year and probably wouldn’t have helped too much. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, Denzel Mims, Patrick Queen, Kenneth Murray, Ross Blacklock, Jalen Reagor, Jeff Gladney, Laviska Shenault, Xavier McKinney

Plenty of guys mocked to us last year who AFAIK weren’t real difference-makers this year and probably wouldn’t have helped too much. 

Exactly.  It's just how the board fell anyway esp after Jefferson was taken.  Kinda feels like we're playing with house money taking Love and stashing him for a couple years.  If he pans out, all the talking heads and fans who lost their minds over the pick are going to be changing their tune.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Agreed, but Patrick Queen certainly helped his team this year and Shenault had his moments as well. Reagor was injured for the bulk of the season FWIW as was Murray. Honestly, I still wish we would've traded down. Reagor was really the one guy I was hoping we'd draft if not Queen, but none of those other guys really appealed to me, at least in the 1st. 

23 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Michael Carter's basically a lock when Jones doesnt sign, right?

Idk. We'll have to see how he tests in a couple months. On the other hand, if he's there at 60 and Jones is gone, I think you pull the trigger unless you have an excellent prospect at a greater position of need. Bear in mind that Williams and Dillon fared just fine behind our OL so maybe it's Dexter Williams' turn or even Patrick Taylor's turn to shine. Carter certainly looks the part on paper though...

Edited by Joe

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

Agreed, but Patrick Queen certainly helped his team this year and Shenault had his moments as well. Reagor was injured for the bulk of the season FWIW as was Murray. Honestly, I still wish we would've traded down. Reagor was really the one guy I was hoping we'd draft if not Queen, but none of those other guys really appealed to me, at least in the 1st. 

Idk. We'll have to see how he tests in a couple months. On the other hand, if he's there at 60 and Jones is gone, I think you pull the trigger unless you have an excellent prospect at a greater position of need. Bear in mind that Williams and Dillon fared just fine behind our OL so maybe it's Dexter Williams' turn or even Patrick Taylor's turn to shine. Carter certainly looks the part on paper though...

Man, gonna tell on myself.  I really like Reagor.  Maybe he will be a fine pro.  But after seeing him a little bit towards the end of the year, that kid has a long way to go.  He was in way over his head.

And Queen....well.....for some reason I got to watch enough Ravens games.  And he was terrible.  Like not bad, but TERRIBLE.

He should be example A for why you don't draft ILB's in the first round.  Without looking it up, I'll bet Barnes had a higher PFF score...while playing in an unfriendly ILB scheme, versus a Ravens scheme.

(And I liked Queen for where we drafted.  Another whiff on my part.)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because he was literally grabbing him the entire game lol

Correct. But unfortunately we weren't getting those calls. The Bucs played physical on the back end and relied on their pass rush to get home before our WRs could break away from those one on ones. It worked, especially in the 2nd half. 

I doubt that works against KC even with a patchwork OL. 

2 hours ago, Joe said:

I dont think you really have to see the numbers with him. The 40 will be at minimum good enough, he's got loose hips. The big thing is he see's it and then he makes the first guy miss. Like do we think he's running 4.6 with a 7.2 cone? heaviest doubt. Obviously nothings a certainty with the draft, just seems like a natural replacement.

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

I dont think you really have to see the numbers with him. The 40 will be at minimum good enough, he's got loose hips. The big thing is he see's it and then he makes the first guy miss. Like do we think he's running 4.6 with a 7.2 cone? heaviest doubt. Obviously nothings a certainty with the draft, just seems like a natural replacement.

I'm a Michael Carter fan.  I like Gainwell a lot, too, but the year off kind of sucks as far as projecting him goes.  I wouldn't hate having either of those guys though.

On 1/31/2021 at 3:36 PM, Lodestar said:

It is fun to get excited about the draft, but outside the top tier of picks, the difference between player 25 and 75 is often negligible. Lots of just solid/not special guys.

3 hours ago, beekay414 said:

There was not a single person picked after Love that would've made a difference this season. Not a WR, not a DB, not a IDL and definitely not an inside backer.

Regardless, this is the 2021 NFL Draft thread.

Certainly no IDL or ILB. Winfield absolutely makes a difference because you're not only adding him in place of a guy like Redmond, but you're taking him away from Tampa. Out of the WRs...I'd say Claypool with his skillset may have made a difference. Probably no one else. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Certainly no IDL or ILB. Winfield absolutely makes a difference because you're not only adding him in place of a guy like Redmond, but you're taking him away from Tampa. Out of the WRs...I'd say Claypool with his skillset may have made a difference. Probably no one else. 

Winfield doesn't make any dramatic difference whatsoever and Claypool wouldn't have seen the field. Who does he play over? He literally runs the same route tree as MVS. LIS, there's not one pick that drastically changes the outcome of our season.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Winfield doesn't make any dramatic difference whatsoever and Claypool wouldn't have seen the field. Who does he play over? He literally runs the same route tree as MVS. LIS, there's not one pick that drastically changes the outcome of our season.

What does "drastic" mean...

We were 5 points from the Super Bowl. That's maybe 1 big reception by a rookie WR or 1 play by a rookie DB in the championship game.

We didn't lose that game because we drafted Jordan Love, but let's not be crazy and say a guy who would have actually played couldn't have made a difference over a guy who never played a single snap. We were that close.

Just now, packfanfb said:

What does "drastic" mean...

We were 5 points from the Super Bowl. That's maybe 1 big reception by a rookie WR or 1 play by a rookie DB in the championship game.

We didn't lose that game because we drafted Jordan Love, but let's not be crazy and say a guy who would have actually played couldn't have made a difference over a guy who never played a single snap. We were that close.

Last I looked, Antoine Winfield didn't play in the NFC Championship game. 

Drastic means none of those rookies effect the outcome of our season. We went 13-3, got the #1 seed, had HFA and lost due to circumstances that one single rookie doesn't impact. Rodgers missed throws, refs missed flags and coaches called stupid plays. We were, and would've been, 5 points away regardless of who we picked in 2020. 

• Like 1