2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

Just now, packfanfb said:

Yes. We had the No. 1 offense for a lot of reasons. Having a top WR core was not one of them. Moreover, the GM agrees with me, not you. He tried to get Robinson. He tried to get Sanders. He tried to get Fuller. He signed Funchess. And he reportedly was set on taking a WR in the 1st or 2nd round but the board didn't fall right. So we settled with what we had and made it work. That's not code for "we're fine." Not a lot of teams have success stopping us on defense, but the few that do, always do it the same way -- take away (double) 17 and make the other guys beat you, especially against aggressive man coverage. It's a weakness on this team, whether you feel it's a small one or big one. 

That being said, I have no desire to draft a WR in the top 2 rounds this year. We need defense. However, if we have any extra money, I'm going after a FA WR, especially if we lose Jones as one of our offensive play-makers. 

There's a HUGE difference between TRYING to get another WR and actually getting a WR.  Gute was always a bridesmaid, never a bride with regards to getting a WR unless you think Funchess is a gem.  And given that Funchess' $2.5M AAV will rank 48th among WRs in 2021 before FA suggests that WR isn't as a big a priority as you suggest it is.

People act like Gute didn't have the opportunity to select a WR.  They could have selected a WR in the first round.  He chose to trade up for Jordan Love.  He could have moved up in the 2nd round and select a WR.  But he didn't.  Either WR wasn't a priority for him as you believe it is, or the Packers are more content with their WRs then you believe.

LIS, our offense is fine.  If you want to double-team Davante Adams, I'll take my chances that LaFleur can scheme up an offense that gets good looks for Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Allen Lazard, MVS, and Robert Tonyan.  Do I love it?  No, but if it's effective it's effective.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's a HUGE difference between TRYING to get another WR and actually getting a WR.  Gute was always a bridesmaid, never a bride with regards to getting a WR unless you think Funchess is a gem.  And given that Funchess' $2.5M AAV will rank 48th among WRs in 2021 before FA suggests that WR isn't as a big a priority as you suggest it is.

People act like Gute didn't have the opportunity to select a WR.  They could have selected a WR in the first round.  He chose to trade up for Jordan Love.  He could have moved up in the 2nd round and select a WR.  But he didn't.  Either WR wasn't a priority for him as you believe it is, or the Packers are more content with their WRs then you believe.

LIS, our offense is fine.  If you want to double-team Davante Adams, I'll take my chances that LaFleur can scheme up an offense that gets good looks for Aaron Jones, Jamaal Williams, Allen Lazard, MVS, and Robert Tonyan.  Do I love it?  No, but if it's effective it's effective.

It's effective until it isn't. You're not signing another WR to beat the Lions. You're signing another WR so you can beat Bowles' defense and then out-race a team like KC in the Super Bowl. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

It's effective until it isn't. You're not signing another WR to beat the Lions. You're signing another WR so you can beat Bowles' defense and then out-race a team like KC in the Super Bowl. 

We didn't lose to the Bucs because of our WRs...

At what point in that game did it cross your mind that the WRs were the issue?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

We didn't lose to the Bucs because of our WRs...

At what point in that game did it cross your mind that the WRs were the issue?

People always say stuff like this, I don't get it. How do you know what difference another WR makes? What if on one of the two drives where we went 3 and out after JA's INTs, Rodgers completes a big pass to a WR...that one play could be the difference in winning by 2 or losing by 5. 

The Super Bowl will be a great litmus test. The KC OL is beat up even worse than ours. They don't have their LT or RT. But they have all kinds of speed and talent at WR/TE. We'll see if that makes a difference or whether the Bucs have the same success slowing them down. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We had the #1 offense and you're still fussing about WRs?  

Who's making a fuss?  Would fans want an investment into the tackle position, edge rusher or CB position if we didn't have one on the roster under contract past the 21-22 season?  

Who gives a **** about last year's offensive ranking?  That offense had a very good pass catching RB in Jones and a QB who played like a damn god for the majority of the year.  Not sure we're going to get either of those things next year.  We're likely replacing Jones with a guy who's resume as a pass catcher in the big boy levels of football is as bad as any in the league at his position.  That offense is also watching the SB from home after completely ****ting the bed in the NFCC game.  When can complain about the defense but we were gifted 3 extra possessions in the second half and couldn't capitalize.  

That ranking did absolutely nothing for us in the NFCC game when we were watching our offense piss away the chances of winning after they were gifted 3 extra second half possessions.  On top of that we're looking at replacing a very good pass catching RB with a guy who's resume as a pass catcher might be the worst in the NFL at his position.  

I'm not asking for us to throw ridiculous amount of assets at the position like we have edge rusher and DB.... Just asking that we don't go another year acting like the position doesn't matter.  

Is anyone jumping up and down about the idea of making big big long term investments into any of MVS, ESB, Lazard or Funchess.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

People always say stuff like this, I don't get it. How do you know what difference another WR makes? What if on one of the two drives where we went 3 and out after JA's INTs, Rodgers completes a big pass to a WR...that one play could be the difference in winning by 2 or losing by 5. 

The Super Bowl will be a great litmus test. The KC OL is beat up even worse than ours. They don't have their LT or RT. But they have all kinds of speed and talent at WR/TE. We'll see if that makes a difference or whether the Bucs have the same success slowing them down. 

The Packers gave up 21 points in the first half.  The Bucs were 9-14 on 3rd down and limited GB to 2-4 in red zone.  Meanwhile, the Packers put up 26 points.  Tell me with a straight face that the offense lost the game for the Packers.  Aside from the 3 INTs, what exactly did the Packers' D do?  And if you're championing this stance, you should be more supportive of Pettine.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The Packers gave up 21 points in the first half.  The Bucs were 9-14 on 3rd down and limited GB to 2-4 in red zone.  Meanwhile, the Packers put up 26 points.  Tell me with a straight face that the offense lost the game for the Packers.  Aside from the 3 INTs, what exactly did the Packers' D do?  And if you're championing this stance, you should be more supportive of Pettine.

29 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Aside from 3 INTs?  That's a pretty big deal.  They were afforded 3 extra opportunities late in the game and the offense pissed it away with a disgusting offensive showing in the 4th quarter.  The defense was terrible but the 2nd half defense was the only reason that game wasn't a humiliating defeat. They gave the offense ample opportunity to win that game and they pissed it down their leg with two 4th quarter 3 and outs after INTs.  

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Frankly, this was Pettine's best game in a while. Our defense sucked on the first drive (vintage Pettine), giving up 3 straight 3rd and long conversions. But after that: 

• 2nd drive -- Bucs caught a 1 in 50 play to Godwin where Savage did everything except knock the ball down (not Pettine's fault), then Fournette couldn't be tackled for some reason on the TD (not Pettine's fault).
  • TD before the half -- Pettine/MLF 70% at fault. King 30% at fault. 
  • Second half -- TD from the 6 yard line -- no one's fault on defense
    • FG drive -- all the yardage came on 1 screen play -- good playcall

Now, despite all of this, Pettine still needed to go and it was long overdue. But the Packers didn't lose to the Bucs because of Pettine. They also didn't just lose because of their defense. The offense had plenty to do with it. Rodgers blew 4 points on the second scoring drive. The turnover before half. The turnover after half (although that was a great defensive play so I don't really fault Jones). Then two chances after turnovers to take the lead and we ran 6 plays for -5 yards. 

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The first 3 and out drive was:

1st down: The Bucs blitzed, Wagner did a bad job sliding over to pick it up and the DB hit Rodgers arm as he was releasing it. We were lucky he did, because it was an awful decision into double coverage that was probably going to be picked.

2nd down: Check down to Williams out of the backfield against the Cover-2 with the WRs running off the defenders on that side of the field, a staple of the LaFleur offense

3rd down: Rodgers looked at a wide open Lazard and decided that rather than the first down, he wanted to hold it some more. Ended up taking a sack. He had 4 targets out of the backfield, MVS and Tonyan were actively trying to scrape Lazard free. Adams was clearing with a vertical route. 

+++

2nd 3 and out drive was:

1st down: Rodgers took the play clock down to 1 second which gave Barrett an amazing jump. In slow-mo it was an offsides, in real time it was borderline. Never had time to throw.

2nd down: Rodgers overthrew MVS.

3rd down: Ref didn't call holding on the DB with Lazard running his route, or illegal hands to the face on JPP rushing over Turner. Lazard "dropped it" but would have been an amazing catch and the refs ignored two penalties. 

+++

If you're looking to replace a body because of those sequences it's Wagner. If you're looking for who's to blame and it has to be one person, it's Rodgers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The first 3 and out drive was:

1st down: The Bucs blitzed, Wagner did a bad job sliding over to pick it up and the DB hit Rodgers arm as he was releasing it. We were lucky he did, because it was an awful decision into double coverage that was probably going to be picked.

2nd down: Check down to Williams out of the backfield against the Cover-2 with the WRs running off the defenders on that side of the field, a staple of the LaFleur offense

3rd down: Rodgers looked at a wide open Lazard and decided that rather than the first down, he wanted to hold it some more. Ended up taking a sack. He had 4 targets out of the backfield, MVS and Tonyan were actively trying to scrape Lazard free. Adams was clearing with a vertical route. 

+++

2nd 3 and out drive was:

1st down: Rodgers took the play clock down to 1 second which gave Barrett an amazing jump. In slow-mo it was an offsides, in real time it was borderline. Never had time to throw.

2nd down: Rodgers overthrew MVS.

3rd down: Ref didn't call holding on the DB with Lazard running his route, or illegal hands to the face on JPP rushing over Turner. Lazard "dropped it" but would have been an amazing catch and the refs ignored two penalties. 

+++

If you're looking to replace a body because of those sequences it's Wagner. If you're looking for who's to blame and it has to be one person, it's Rodgers. 

Not blaming anyone. Merely saying the result could have been different with another playmaker on the field who could get on top of that defense. Obviously, having 69 out there would have made a biggest difference. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Not blaming anyone. Merely saying the result could have been different with another playmaker on the field who could get on top of that defense. Obviously, having 69 out there would have made a biggest difference. 

How? 

WR play didn't make or break those drives. 

QB and OT play did. The premium positions on offense.

• Like 2