2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The D-Line wasn't the issue this time around. Our D-Line pretty much played great against Tampa. We completely shut down the run game absent the one TD run by Fournette. This is my point, every year there's going to be an issue with the defense. The only difference-making move I see on defense is if the right DC comes in, basically uses what we have, and something clicks and suddenly the same unit that was 16th under Pettine becomes 6th under the new guy, etc. We'll add some draft capital at certain positions and maybe sign a FA CB since we're so depleted there, but that's basically it. 

The DL isn't very good.  We've got Kenny Clark and a bunch of JAGs.  I still can't believe you're advocating for leaving the DL alone when it hasn't been very good the past couple of years, but you want to upgrade the WR when we got good production.  Insane.

16 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

On the OL, obviously the Bakh injury crushed us. We survived it against the Bears and Rams and then suddenly, almost out of nowhere, Turner and Wagner played by far their worst games of the year in the biggest game of the season. It's typical Packers luck to lose an All-Pro LT to a practice injury in Week 17. I think Runyan will start at OG next season with either Jenkins or Patrick moving to C and Turner goes back to RT once Bakh is cleared. I think this may be the season where GB drafts a true OT on Day 2. 

I'm operating under the assumption that Bakh starts the year on the PUP list.  Anything other than then that will be a pleasant surprise.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

As I stated in another post, I'm hopeful we get both. The right DC and another offensive weapon. I think we need it and admittedly, I've been bitching about it for the last 2 years, not going to stop now.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I'll stand by it. 

So tell me what's your ideal draft scenario in terms of positions?

Just now, CWood21 said:

So tell me what's your ideal draft scenario in terms of positions?

Draft wise, if the board fell precisely how we wanted: 

1. CB -- biggest need by far
  2. EDGE/OT - the thinking here is we are cutting P. Smith (if he's not cut, EDGE isn't as big a need)
  3. EDGE/OT/IDL
  4. CB2/RB/EDGE/OT/IDL/gadget WR - whichever we haven't already hit on earlier. Really want us to draft an Ervin upgrade in the draft, preferably in the middle round area. 
  5. (2nd 4th rounder) -- same positions in play

5th-7th round, BPA

In FA, depending on how many people we cut/don't cut and therefore what $$ we have, my priority (assuming Jones/Linsley both go) is one of the semi-top WRs (I think a guy like Corey Davis gets some interest from GB -- you're basically giving Davis or another WR Jones' money). From there, I'm probably bargain hunting if there's cap left for a journeyman CB to pair with a top draft pick. Other than that, I don't really care. 

Dream Scenario (probably not feasible hence the dream part) would be to throw in a 3 year deal to bag J.J. Watt (assuming Texans cut him). Cut Lowry and take his $3-4m savings and put towards Watt's cap number this year, and he takes a back-loaded 2021 team friendly deal to chase a ring. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

2. EDGE/OT - the thinking here is we are cutting P. Smith (if he's not cut, EDGE isn't as big a need)
  3. EDGE/OT/IDL
  4. CB2/RB/EDGE/OT/IDL/gadget WR - whichever we haven't already hit on earlier. Really want us to draft an Ervin upgrade in the draft, preferably in the middle round area. 

5th-7th round, BPA

In FA, depending on how many people we cut/don't cut and therefore what $$ we have, my priority (assuming Jones/Linsley both go) is one of the semi-top WRs (I think a guy like Corey Davis gets some interest from GB -- you're basically giving Davis or another WR Jones' money). From there, I'm probably bargain hunting if there's cap left for a journeyman CB to pair with a top draft pick. Other than that, I don't really care. 

Dream Scenario (probably not feasible hence the dream part) would be to throw in a 3 year deal to bag J.J. Watt (assuming Texans cut him). Cut Lowry and take his $3-4m savings and put towards Watt's cap number this year, and he takes a back-loaded 2021 team friendly deal to chase a ring. 

So...we're bringing in a rookie CB who will almost certainly be abused.  Haven't upgraded the WR position like you've been advocating.  And you've left the DL with guys like Tyler Lancaster and Kingsley Keke hoping you can patch together some productions.  Plus, I think your financials are all out of wack unless you're willing to kick a TON of money into the future specifically with regards to Z and Aaron Rodgers, which I don't think is likely.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

We threw the ball 22 more times than the Buccaneers did.  At some point, you either become one-dimensional offensively or the touches aren't getting spread around.  Even in that game alone, Davante Adams accounted for 31% of the passes Rodgers threw.  The RBs accounted for 23% of the passes.  Besides the fact that we're getting into the hypotheticals that nobody can prove.  The point I was trying to make is that our WR2 and WR3 were absolutely productive.

I can agree with this to an extent. My point is if you can get that production from another WR AND have those two on the field with Adams, that could make the difference. I think we will see what dynamic speed does in 2 days for KC. You certainly could be right though. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

So...we're bringing in a rookie CB who will almost certainly be abused.  Haven't upgraded the WR position like you've been advocating.  And you've left the DL with guys like Tyler Lancaster and Kingsley Keke hoping you can patch together some productions.  Plus, I think your financials are all out of wack unless you're willing to kick a TON of money into the future specifically with regards to Z and Aaron Rodgers, which I don't think is likely.

So...we're bringing in a rookie CB who will almost certainly be abused. The Chiefs just went to a SB with a mid-round rookie Snead as a starting CB. I believe they drafted him in the 3rd or 4th round. Frankly, I haven't even looked at the CB FA market, is there anyone good you'd want for bigger money? 

Haven't upgraded the WR position like you've been advocating. I have, just not through the draft. I haven't stated once on this forum that I want to draft a WR high in 2021. I was in favor of that in 2020, but we have too many needs this year, especially on defense. Draft defense and grab your WR in FA given the plethora of good FA WRs. 

And you've left the DL with guys like Tyler Lancaster and Kingsley Keke hoping you can patch together some productions. Not really, in fact, by drafting a guy in round 3-4, I've actually done more for the DL than Gute has done the last 2 years. Again, Gute could have addressed the DL position in 2020, he didn't until Snacks late in the year. I think Keke is ready to start at the 3-tech after a 4-sack year. You either hang on to Lowry or drop him and use his money to add a replacement, or just draft guy. If you think it's a bigger need, we could go IDL in round 2 and a get a player we expect to play now. 

I think your financials are all out of wack unless you're willing to kick a TON of money into the future specifically with regards to Z and Aaron Rodgers, which I don't think is likely. Probably not, but you asked what I would do. I'm restructuring Rodgers and Z without a second thought, freeing up about $21m before I even trim fat elsewhere. It's time to go for it. Move that money into the future and buy what you need to win the next 2 years. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

And you've left the DL with guys like Tyler Lancaster and Kingsley Keke hoping you can patch together some productions.  

Keke needs more snaps (after a hopefully full offseason), wont have keke slander in here. Definitely need to replace the snackscaster duo with a legit plug and a Dean replacement.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

And you've left the DL with guys like Tyler Lancaster and Kingsley Keke hoping you can patch together some productions. Not really, in fact, by drafting a guy in round 3-4, I've actually done more for the DL than Gute has done the last 2 years.

in theory yes, in practice what are we finding in DL in rounds 3-4 that aren't going to be spilling into 5? You'll get a plug who you hope can find a way to get to the passer or you'll find a guy who you hope can find an anchor. Mid round DL is notorious bad value.

42 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

in theory yes, in practice what are we finding in DL in rounds 3-4 that aren't going to be spilling into 5? You'll get a plug who you hope can find a way to get to the passer or you'll find a guy who you hope can find an anchor. Mid round DL is notorious bad value.

unless you hit on a Mike Daniel's type. 

We need to INVEST in the IDL. We didn't really do it when we had Raji and we haven't with Clark hitting his prime. Ridiculous. When we had one of the best defenses of the 90's, we had solid players like Gravedigger, Dotson, Sean Jones, and guys like Gabe Wilkins and Jurko gave us solid depth. I can't really think of a time in which we've had that kind of reliable play since except for maybe 2007?, 2009, 2010 maybe with a prime Ryan Pickett. Christian Barmore will probably be a value pick in the first and if not, USC's got two pretty damn good IDL's early in this draft....it..is...time!

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

3. EDGE/OT/IDL

I'd be happier with something like:

1) DL Christian Barmore (failing that, move up in round 2 for any of Nixon (Iowa), Onwuzurike (Washington), or Tufele (USC).

2) CB Greg Newsome II

3) OT Walker Little

4) WR Daz Newsome (I seem to like Newsomes this year), though I might be tempted by Edge Ellerson Smith (N.Iowa) here (or with the comp 4th).

After that look for the best RB who can shift and catch fairly well, an interior O lineman, and anything else that fits.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'd be happier with something like:

1) DL Christian Barmore (failing that, move up in round 2 for any of Nixon (Iowa), Onwuzurike (Washington), or Tufele (USC). Think you better take one of these guys IF they are there at 29  or maybe go up and get one of them. I’m not sure any of them make it to 29

2) CB Greg Newsome II HOPE he’s here. 

3) OT Walker Little solid selection who once again, “hope” he would still be here.

4) WR Daz Newsome (I seem to like Newsomes this year), though I might be tempted by Edge Ellerson Smith (N.Iowa) here (or with the comp 4th).

After that look for the best RB who can shift and catch fairly well, an interior O lineman, and anything else that fits.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, SSG said:

IMO it's not just about immediate help.  Green Bay doesn't have a WR on the roster who's under contract past this coming year. 

It seems highly likely to me that both Lazard and MVS will be re-signing with GB on reasonable deals, and Adams will have one more contract with GB.  I am not at all against targeting WR on day 2 of the draft, but I also would not be surprised or upset if it doesn't happen.

On 2/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, SSG said:

Unless Lazard or MVS's production falls off the face of the earth next year I  think it's very unlikely that both are extended given our current cap situation.  We already know that Adams is in line for a huge raise.  

The future of our WR room currently looks extremely bleak.  

I disagree with all of this other than Adams being in line for a raise.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, CWood21 said:

Yes.  3 INTs.  Aside from those 3 INTs, the defense was garbage.  The Amos INT was an awful throw when you look at game film.  Tom Brady lofted the ball into tight coverage with Amos playing single-high.  The second INT was a tipped ball by Mike Evans which led to an INT for Jaire Alexander.  And INT3 was effectively a punt.  If you want to credit Pettine for that INT because of the Savage (?) blitz, I'd probably agree.  Defense gave you 3 INTs in a quarter and a half but coughed up 21 points at halftime, including the debacle right before halftime.

Think you are mistaking my comment for our old DC and it wasn't.  I think we're able to hold both him (and his players) and our offense accountable.  Regardless of how we got the turnovers, we got them.  The offense was afforded 3 extra opportunities and they pissed it away with two 3 and outs in the games most important quarter of football.