2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

That one would be tougher to pass on. Still think I'd take Horn.

Yeah, I think so too. Parsons can play any scheme, but may be an unnecessary luxury--more than is sufficient for what the Packers need at LB. I like Barmore more (given he was playing with an injury during the regular season, which may explain why he didn't turn it on until the college playoffs), so for me it would be a debate between Horn, Darrisaw, and Barmore. But this scenario is very unlikely. More likely we will have a CB Newsome, OT Mayfield, and LB Collins on board at #29 to debate over. Or even trading a few spots back from #29 and a bunch of spots up from pick #62, getting a decent CB and RT in the process.

Edited by DWhitehurst
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GHARMON9 said:

I say take Etienne is he's there at 29. Especially if both Williams and Jones leave for FA.

I also will be an advocate of using a premium on a LB. Id love to have a star there. But I've been hootin' and hollering for it for years.  

See what Madden has done to you ?

Bill Huber / SI  -   Packer Central turned to a top NFL scout and asked if he could compile an all-Packers, all-Senior Bowl mock draft. So, armed with his knowledge of the players and provided a list of the Packers’ needs, here’s what he put together. The scout made the picks; the commentary is ours.

1) CB Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse

The Packers need a corner. Everybody knows that. The question is whether Gutekunst wants to get someone with traits that complement Jaire Alexander or if any skilled cornerback would be the early target. Melifonwu is 6-foot-2 5/8 with rare athleticism. Kevin King was 6-foot-3 with rare athleticism, too. That didn’t work out but size matters with so many towering receivers in the league. Melifonwu allowed 8-of-19 passing on targets 10-plus yards downfield, according to Pro Football Focus.

2) DT Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA

Playing in all seven games of the Bruins’ abbreviated season, he had four sacks and six tackles for losses. He’s a bit undersized at 6-foot-2 and 280 pounds but he’s got milelong arms at 34 1/8 inches and massive 10 3/4-inch arms to control blockers. New Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry knows a little something about undersized defensive linemen, having worked alongside Aaron Donald the past four seasons. A three-year starter, he is the brother of former UCLA defensive line standout Owa Odighizuwa.

3) WR Josh Palmer, Tennessee

Greatly undervalued by media scouts due in part to poor quarterback play, Palmer caught 90 passes for 1,416 yards and seven touchdowns in his final three seasons. As a senior, he caught 33 passes for career highs of 475 yards and four touchdowns. The native of Canada measured 6-foot-1 1/4 at the Senior Bowl, where he had a touchdown during the game to punctuate a strong week. He’s got excellent ball skills. The Packers need receiver help, not necessarily for 2021 but in 2022, when Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown and Devin Funchess will be free agents.

4a) RB Larry Rountree, Missouri
4b) OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame
5a) CB Benjamin St. Juste, Minnesota
5b) ILB Tony Fields, West Virginia
6a) WR Ben Skowronek, Notre Dame
6b) OLB Janarius Robinson, Florida State
7) C Drake Jackson, Kentucky

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber / SI  -   Packer Central turned to a top NFL scout and asked if he could compile an all-Packers, all-Senior Bowl mock draft. So, armed with his knowledge of the players and provided a list of the Packers’ needs, here’s what he put together. The scout made the picks; the commentary is ours.

1) CB Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse

The Packers need a corner. Everybody knows that. The question is whether Gutekunst wants to get someone with traits that complement Jaire Alexander or if any skilled cornerback would be the early target. Melifonwu is 6-foot-2 5/8 with rare athleticism. Kevin King was 6-foot-3 with rare athleticism, too. That didn’t work out but size matters with so many towering receivers in the league. Melifonwu allowed 8-of-19 passing on targets 10-plus yards downfield, according to Pro Football Focus.

2) DT Osa Odighizuwa, UCLA

Playing in all seven games of the Bruins’ abbreviated season, he had four sacks and six tackles for losses. He’s a bit undersized at 6-foot-2 and 280 pounds but he’s got milelong arms at 34 1/8 inches and massive 10 3/4-inch arms to control blockers. New Packers defensive coordinator Joe Barry knows a little something about undersized defensive linemen, having worked alongside Aaron Donald the past four seasons. A three-year starter, he is the brother of former UCLA defensive line standout Owa Odighizuwa.

3) WR Josh Palmer, Tennessee

Greatly undervalued by media scouts due in part to poor quarterback play, Palmer caught 90 passes for 1,416 yards and seven touchdowns in his final three seasons. As a senior, he caught 33 passes for career highs of 475 yards and four touchdowns. The native of Canada measured 6-foot-1 1/4 at the Senior Bowl, where he had a touchdown during the game to punctuate a strong week. He’s got excellent ball skills. The Packers need receiver help, not necessarily for 2021 but in 2022, when Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown and Devin Funchess will be free agents.

4a) RB Larry Rountree, Missouri
4b) OL Robert Hainsey, Notre Dame
5a) CB Benjamin St. Juste, Minnesota
5b) ILB Tony Fields, West Virginia
6a) WR Ben Skowronek, Notre Dame
6b) OLB Janarius Robinson, Florida State
7) C Drake Jackson, Kentucky

Horrible mock. Two big reaches on players who(like their older brothers) wouldn't work out at their respective positions followed up by an underwhelming WR from a mess of a program. Rountree and St. Juste are the only picks that might work out. This is the dreck I'd expect to see someone post on a Facebook group...

22 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Yeah, I think so too. Parsons can play any scheme, but may be an unnecessary luxury--more than is sufficient for what the Packers need at LB. I like Barmore more (given he was playing with an injury during the regular season, which may explain why he didn't turn it on until the college playoffs), so for me it would be a debate between Horn, Darrisaw, and Barmore. But this scenario is very unlikely. More likely we will have a CB Newsome, OT Mayfield, and LB Collins on board at #29 to debate over. Or even trading a few spots back from #29 and a bunch of spots up from pick #62, getting a decent CB and RT in the process.

This is my hope at this particular point in time though I'd wait on CB until the 3rd. Trade back, grab Radunz or the best OT that can fit our scheme, trade up in the 2nd with a team like the Titans to grab the best IDL, then grab the best CB available.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

Horrible mock. Two big reaches on players who(like their older brothers) wouldn't work out at their respective positions followed up by an underwhelming WR from a mess of a program. Rountree and St. Juste are the only picks that might work out. This is the dreck I'd expect to see someone post on a Facebook group...

This is my hope at this particular point in time though I'd wait on CB until the 3rd. Trade back, grab Radunz or the best OT that can fit our scheme, trade up in the 2nd with a team like the Titans to grab the best IDL, then grab the best CB available.

Read the post.  It was an after/only Senior Bowl Mock.  Ya know, like the players that were there?

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, Outpost31 said:

Wrong.  The best RT is the best guard with the possibility of being the best RT.

Ain’t no damn guard at 29 gonna be able to be the best RT.

And this is Aaron Rodgers.  When was the last time Rodgers has lost a postseason game because of interior pressure?

WR I could accept at 29.  ILB I could accept.  Hell, with LaFleur as our head coach, a complete TE I could accept.

But if the Packers draft a ****ing guard 29th overall I’m done with football for the rest of my short, meaningless life.

Jenkins was a 2nd rounder, could end up being that....if he moves to RT low..

22 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Read the post.  It was an after/only Senior Bowl Mock.  Ya know, like the players that were there?

It's still a horrible mock...ya know, regardless of the pool of players?

On 3/11/2021 at 2:55 PM, DWhitehurst said:

I'm at the point of asking hypothetical "What if?" relative to prospects of a lesser need for the Packers falling to #29. Very unlikely scenario, but just hypothetically, say there is a run on WR's in round one, such that you have DT Barmore, LB Parsons, OT Darrisaw, and CB Jaycee Horn left on the board at #29. First, what a great problem to have! But second, even aside from the debate of whether OT or CB is the greater priority need for the Packers, given you have the top DT (in a weak class for DT's) and the top LB on the board, do you let the BPA factor have more weight over the Priority Needs factor and take DT Barmore or even LB Parsons instead of Darrisaw or Horn? I guess some of this depends on what our new DCoordinator wants, but if it were myself, I'd think long and hard about nabbing Barmore or even Parsons despite them being a lesser priority need for the Packers.

That I have time to think up such scenarios just goes to show I have no life. ;)

Horn or Darrisaw are the only real choices here.

20 hours ago, Joe said:

It's a pretty bad IDL class this year.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

After how Newsome II ran at his pro day, will he even be available for GB in RD1?

Everyone is testing beyond where they're actually performing.  That's what happens when you have unreliable source of numbers.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 2:56 PM, Packerraymond said:

Barmore is a fringe 1/2 guy for me. Darrisaw and Horn are top 20. I wouldn't even consider Barmore in that scenario.

Barrmore was a man among boys in that championship game against a good OL and got better as the year went on after struggling with an injury early. I’d have a hard time passing on him. Our DL is bad other than Clark. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's a pretty bad IDL class this year.

We say that every year it seems so either we sign someone worth our time in FA(hardy har har) or we draft one early. We can't go another year with just Kenny as our proven player, Keke as a "shows some flashes," Lowry who we all want to cut, and a bunch of below average JAGs. Also, it's not drafting an IDL for the sake of drafting an IDL when it's an immediate need. The same goes for OT at this point...

A move needed to be made 3 years ago and we're still waiting on it, not only are we waiting on it, but we've been forced to move Z inside just so we have a prayer thus taking him away from what he does best: rush from the EDGE....

Edited by Joe