Jump to content

2021 NFL Draft Thread


Recommended Posts

What I think is clear is that Gute loves upside potential and at the top of the positional value, drafting CB, OLB and QB at the top, the most valuable positions.

With our needs, I think Gute will strongly be looking at CB and OT in the draft, especially CB as we could be losing King and/or Jackson and might need an upgrade there even with them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

My hopes for this years draft are the same as last years. Hoping we go DL, RT, and WR with our first three picks of the draft. Would like us to go BPA out of those three positions but if I had to choose, my hopes would be....

1st round- Defensive Line: Hoping we grab a stud to line up next to Clark. Our front 7 with Clark, a 1st rounder next to him, The Smiths, Gary:(if he continues his progression), KeKe(if he continues to progress), and a glimmer of hope for solid ILB play could be pretty exciting to go along with a young and talented secondary. 

2nd Round- Right Tackle: I think Runyan ends up as our long term RG, grab a RT to hopefully anchor the right side for the next decade. 

3rd round- Wide Receiver: While a 1st round receiver would be flashy and exciting, I just value the other two positions higher. Hoping we can get a Terry Mclaurin type wideout to come play the slot with Adams and Lazard on the outsides. 

The rest of the draft I'd be happy with doubling up on any of the positions above; as well as continuing to add defensive backs and an EDGE.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

If we don't draft a CB in the first 2 days I'll be pretty upset.

You think King is a goner or do you think we need more there behind him and Jaire? 
 

I like Sullivan a lot and Hollman seems to flash every time he’s given an opportunity 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, after this year's draft trying to predict what Gutekunst will do in the draft is a true crapshoot. Not that I have insider information, but I will be surprised and disappointed if the Packers don't take a defensive tackle at the end of Round One--or maybe work a deal to take a good cornerback first. Someone like Jay Tufele, a fine d-lineman from USC, makes sense to me, at least given the present state of things. I just think that Kenny Clark needs more help inside, or that Kevin King's fragility is a major issue that has to be addressed early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

You think King is a goner or do you think we need more there behind him and Jaire? 
 

I like Sullivan a lot and Hollman seems to flash every time he’s given an opportunity 

First, we play dime 50% of the time, so we should be drafting CB in the 1st 2 days every other year.

Second, there's a high chance King is not with us next year. Perhaps Hollman is the answer, but you cannot blindly trust him when he's never played meaningful snaps and our other boundary CB (Jackson) is trash.

Third, you can never have too many CB. We clearly saw that 4 years ago. If we have a guy drafted who's really good he'll see a lot of playing time no matter who plays next year.

Edited by VonKarman
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Premium positions with an immediate need:

OT: For as well as this group is playing, let's get our long term RT and settle down all this moving around. Also Bakhtiari insurance, let's get the dude signed. If we can't stomach it, need an insurance policy.

DT: Keke is showing flashes occasionally, but this group is still Clark and some dudes. If nothing else, getting out of Dean Lowry's contract for the 2022 season is a worthy investment to save 4.3 million. 

+++

Non premium positions with an immediate need:

+++

Premium positions with a long-term/depth need

CB: Depth behind the starting 2/3 has me nervous. Can you imagine if we lost Jaire/King instead of Adams/Lazard? Neither Hollman nor Jackson look like answers.

+++

Non premium positions with a long-term/depth need

IOL: I'd like a new RT brought in and Turner moved to RG full time. That at least answers the Guard spots. You have to assume Linsley is gone at this point. How the staff feels about Hanson/Patrick starting at C long term really effects this need. If there isn't faith in either of those guys, this is a higher need. 

ILB: I was more into this during the preseason but Barnes has been playing well, Summers has been playing adequately, and all reports out of camp with Martin were very positive. I like getting another warm body in this competition 

RB: Even if Williams is back, a 3rd body behind Williams/Dillon is going to be needed. Perfect place to spend a 5th round pick. 

TE: Get another warm body into this competition. Jace has me deeply worried.

WR: Get another warm body into this competition. We've seen how fast can depth can evaporate.

S: This group is fine. The two starters are good, and Greene/Redmond provide what you need as dime DBs, but if either of Amos/Savage go down, I don't love the thought of either stepping into those roles. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Premium positions with an immediate need:

OT: For as well as this group is playing, let's get our long term RT and settle down all this moving around. Also Bakhtiari insurance, let's get the dude signed. If we can't stomach it, need an insurance policy.

DT: Keke is showing flashes occasionally, but this group is still Clark and some dudes. If nothing else, getting out of Dean Lowry's contract for the 2022 season is a worthy investment to save 4.3 million. 

+++

Non premium positions with an immediate need:

+++

Premium positions with a long-term/depth need

CB: Depth behind the starting 2/3 has me nervous. Can you imagine if we lost Jaire/King instead of Adams/Lazard? Neither Hollman nor Jackson look like answers.

+++

Non premium positions with a long-term/depth need

IOL: I'd like a new RT brought in and Turner moved to RG full time. That at least answers the Guard spots. You have to assume Linsley is gone at this point. How the staff feels about Hanson/Patrick starting at C long term really effects this need. If there isn't faith in either of those guys, this is a higher need. 

ILB: I was more into this during the preseason but Barnes has been playing well, Summers has been playing adequately, and all reports out of camp with Martin were very positive. I like getting another warm body in this competition 

RB: Even if Williams is back, a 3rd body behind Williams/Dillon is going to be needed. Perfect place to spend a 5th round pick. 

TE: Get another warm body into this competition. Jace has me deeply worried.

WR: Get another warm body into this competition. We've seen how fast can depth can evaporate.

S: This group is fine. The two starters are good, and Greene/Redmond provide what you need as dime DBs, but if either of Amos/Savage go down, I don't love the thought of either stepping into those roles. 

Like the breakdown.  Thinking the Packers will be getting a couple of 4th/5th round draft comp picks in the next draft.  Perfect timing to upgrade a couple of those non premium position needs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure that Jenkins isn't the RT of the future.

It's easier to find guards than tackles.  And he has the ability to play RT at a very high level.

That being said, I'm looking at corner, DL and WR with early picks.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not sure that Jenkins isn't the RT of the future.

It's easier to find guards than tackles.  And he has the ability to play RT at a very high level.

That being said, I'm looking at corner, DL and WR with early picks.  

Agreed, Runyan put in some great snaps against Minnesota and I just don't see why he can't be moved around a bit with some more coaching and experience; he's not Jenkins, but... . Loved him as a prospect so obviously I was very happy with the pick and think he could be a Day 3 steal. If I'm in the warroom on draft day, I really have to ask myself if I'm really that concerned with that OL at this point given its performance over the past 4 seasons regardless of personnel. It's a top-5 if not top-3 OL and everyone knows it. So at RT, am I really that concerned if I have Rick Wagner for another year, Billy Turner for another year with an out before 2022, Elgton Jenkins who's proven he can play ANYWHERE along the OL, and a bunch of younger prospects that aren't liabilities.

Personally, I find a way to attack that IDL in the offseason one way or another; perhaps, this is the year we see two or three guys drafted in a row at the position the way we did with IOL last year. Sure, they've been punching up in the last two games, but how long is that going to last? I like the idea of sitting on Billy Winn if he can contribute over the course of another season or two, but we've gotta make up for the MAdams whiff and the Lowry mistake. Personally, I say blow it the XXXX up keeping the two K's(Kenny and Keke) and replacing the rest. If we could get at least 2 more solid IDL, we can mask our deficiencies at ILB.

After that, the next move I make is to bolster our depth at secondary. We can pretty much write off Josh Jackson at this point and we can't bank on being able to re-sign King due to cap issues(thanks Covid). I think Monday night proved we have a top-5 secondary in the league, but you keep that status by drafting DB's on Day 1 or 2 every other year as someone else said in the mock draft thread(I believe). I think we really only need to draft one guy in the first 3 rounds if we go that route, but there are lots of solid DB's found early Day 3 and we should take advantage of that; I believe the same will go for IDL this particular year. 

Ergo, I'd actually go with the following at the moment:

1. IDL or CB; not opposed to RT
2. *see 1.
3. WR
4. BPA at CB, S, OT, or IDL; we have three picks here so we could sneak in ILB or even TE if the guy is there.
5. WR, RB(if Jones/Williams leaves), OT
6. BPA
7. BPA

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...