2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

16 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Preaching to the choir, I know, but I'll say it anyways. These Mock Draft Simulators are fun, but their Big Board is not going to be exactly the same as each team's big board (which is never revealed to the fans), let alone another Mock Draft Simulator's. One team might have a Newsome or Mayfield in a higher tier on their big board than another team will.  It all depends on the evaluations (how they set their Big Board with its tiers) of the Packers Scouting Department, which, again, is something none of us gets to see. While their evaluations of each prospect aren't infallible, I would expect they stick to their big board, let that dictate. The danger is that we become conditioned to assume the big board of our favorite Mock Draft Simulator must be the same as an NFL team's, and then judge how that team ended up drafting on the basis of this. Take A.J. Dillon for example. Many mock draft sites had Dillon as around a 5th round guy on their sites, and so then when the Packers took him in round two, some fans were critical, suggesting the Packers "reached". Well, that again assumes that the big board of these Mock Draft Sites must be authoritative, the standard upon which to judge each NFL team's draft. That's very armchairish.

The best part is the mock draft sites themselves are all over the place once you get past the high level prospects.  Every year after the draft, NFL fans point to the draft sites that support their position of a specific pick being "great value" or "a reach" while ignoring the sites that don't.  The fact is that there is no real consensus, and every NFL team has their own internal rankings.  The pre-draft websites are interesting to review, and I like having them around to get familiar with the prospects, but the rankings themselves are of limited value at best.

17 hours ago, DWhitehurst said:

Preaching to the choir, I know, but I'll say it anyways. These Mock Draft Simulators are fun, but their Big Board is not going to be exactly the same as each team's big board (which is never revealed to the fans), let alone another Mock Draft Simulator's. One team might have a Newsome or Mayfield in a higher tier on their big board than another team will.  It all depends on the evaluations (how they set their Big Board with its tiers) of the Packers Scouting Department, which, again, is something none of us gets to see. While their evaluations of each prospect aren't infallible, I would expect they stick to their big board, let that dictate. The danger is that we become conditioned to assume the big board of our favorite Mock Draft Simulator must be the same as an NFL team's, and then judge how that team ended up drafting on the basis of this. Take A.J. Dillon for example. Many mock draft sites had Dillon as around a 5th round guy on their sites, and so then when the Packers took him in round two, some fans were critical, suggesting the Packers "reached". Well, that again assumes that the big board of these Mock Draft Sites must be authoritative, the standard upon which to judge each NFL team's draft. That's very armchairish.

I mean, they're exactly what you think they are.  A fun little exercise to pass time.  They're not meant to be the end-all for player evaluation.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

The best part is the mock draft sites themselves are all over the place once you get past the high level prospects.  Every year after the draft, NFL fans point to the draft sites that support their position of a specific pick being "great value" or "a reach" while ignoring the sites that don't.  The fact is that there is no real consensus, and every NFL team has their own internal rankings.  The pre-draft websites are interesting to review, and I like having them around to get familiar with the prospects, but the rankings themselves are of limited value at best.

Exactly. Their benefit is getting acclimated with the prospects. Some of the differences in where they rank prospects on these Mock Draft Simulators are considerable. For example, I've seen DT Marvin Wilson FSU as a 2nd rounder all the way to a 7th rounder. Or WR Dewayne Eskridge WMU as a 2nd rounder all the way to a 6th rounder. And, for sure, depending on a given team's systems on offense/defense, they may rank some players higher or lower on their big board than another team would. A power scheme like Pittsburgh is likely going to rank an OG like Tommie Kraemer ND higher than a zone scheme team. 

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yeesssss. As someone who lives in Cleveland, I've been waiting to attend a draft for a long time. Booked my Airbnb downtown in the middle of the action nearly 12 months ago. 

I went to it when it was in Dallas a few years back. I think it was during the 3rd day. Pretty fun. Tons of activities. Basically just walk around drinking beer and listening to picks lol.  And mostly only die hard fans go to the draft so lots of good conversation.  

We sat down and watched the stage for a bit  but on day 3 there’s not much to watch. 

One weird thing did happen when we were walking around. We noticed a huge group of kids playing a football game. I mean like 50 kids running around sharing one ball. I noticed a big dude amongst them and it happened to be JuJu Smith Schuster. He was playing a pick up game with a bunch of kids. I caught up with him and we took a picture, cool dude. 

Edited by gopackgo972
  • Like 2

Jim Nagy -  Official results on juniors @FSUFootball pro-day: CB Asante Samuel Jr

HT 5101
WT 180
Hand 8 7/8
Arm 30 1/8
Wing 72 1/4
40-yd 4.45/4.52
VJ 35.0
BJ 10-4
SS 4.13
3C 6.95
BP 12x

• Peter Bukowski -  The Packers met with Asante Samuel Jr. but barely 5’10 flat and not an ultra-elite athlete may just remove him as a likely pick for Green Bay.

///

I'm gonna have to watch some tape on this guy cause a physical specimen he is not.

14 minutes ago, Leader said:

Jim Nagy -  Official results on juniors @FSUFootball pro-day: CB Asante Samuel Jr

HT 5101
WT 180
Hand 8 7/8
Arm 30 1/8
Wing 72 1/4
40-yd 4.45/4.52
VJ 35.0
BJ 10-4
SS 4.13
3C 6.95
BP 12x

• Peter Bukowski -  The Packers met with Asante Samuel Jr. but barely 5’10 flat and not an ultra-elite athlete may just remove him as a likely pick for Green Bay.

///

I'm gonna have to watch some tape on this guy cause a physical specimen he is not.

He reminds me a lot of Ronald Darby, and I've never loved Darby. FSU plays a lot of bail technique with their corners. They flip open the hips right away so you rarely see them pedal. Never been a fan of a DB of theirs in the last decade save for the rare ones like Ramsey.

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He reminds me a lot of Ronald Darby, and I've never loved Darby. FSU plays a lot of bail technique with their corners. They flip open the hips right away so you rarely see them pedal. Never been a fan of a DB of theirs in the last decade save for the rare ones like Ramsey.

Disclaimer: I watched one video.

I saw a guy that plays off the LOS - who's INT's had (IMO.....) Damarious Randall written all over them: he makes the QB pay for a mistake throws. That was DR's forte (IMO) in addition to his closing speed. What he lacked (IMO) was coverage skills.

As for coverage skills in Samuel - he's got some. Showed him contesting a number of passes - knocking down a number of others - plus he showed good aggression coming forward to contest passes and/or make tackles.

At this juncture - I'm looking for a year 1 starter. Is DSjr the best we can do? I dont know/cant say cause I've not researched it. If he's the best there at 29, then I'll take it - even though, I really dont like the height (which I freely admit is a bit odd given that JA's the same 5'10"). 

Right now - for me - that CB slot is top of the list.  Not that I think our OL is in real great shape.

Current key words (for me):  feels thin - even though - as you say - we're returning the vast majority of our starters - so - trying to keep a level head about things.

Perhaps GB should open up a GoFundMe page and solicit cash. We are a public entity no?   :)

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

HT 5101
WT 180
Hand 8 7/8
Arm 30 1/8
Wing 72 1/4
40-yd 4.45/4.52
VJ 35.0
BJ 10-4
SS 4.13
3C 6.95
BP 12x

///

Dude is tiny. 

On 3/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, gopackgo972 said:

Yeah there’s no way Moore is there at 66. I bet he’s gone in the first round

I completely agree.  The only way he isn't drafted in the first is if he doesn't work out or if he completely bombs his workout.  

Tomorrow is Purdue's pro day.  If he has the sort of workout that his trainer suggests that he's capable of having then I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in the top 15.  This is could potentially be a 4.3 WR who can be seen on videos squatting 600lbs and bench pressing 400+ lbs.  He's a freak.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

HT 5101  5102
WT 180 192
Hand 8 7/8 9.5
Arm 30 1/8 31.13
Wing 72 1/4 
40-yd 4.45/4.52 4.38
VJ 35.0 35
BJ 10-4 10-7
SS 4.13 3.98
3C 6.95 6.71
BP 12x

///

vs Jaire in red

3 hours ago, SSG said:

I completely agree.  The only way he isn't drafted in the first is if he doesn't work out or if he completely bombs his workout.  

Tomorrow is Purdue's pro day.  If he has the sort of workout that his trainer suggests that he's capable of having then I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone in the top 15.  This is could potentially be a 4.3 WR who can be seen on videos squatting 600lbs and bench pressing 400+ lbs.  He's a freak.

He's ~5'9", 180 and he's played in 7 games the last two seasons.  I feel fairly comfortable staying the HELL away.

4 hours ago, Leader said:

Disclaimer: I watched one video.

I saw a guy that plays off the LOS - who's INT's had (IMO.....) Damarious Randall written all over them: he makes the QB pay for a mistake throws. That was DR's forte (IMO) in addition to his closing speed. What he lacked (IMO) was coverage skills.

As for coverage skills in Samuel - he's got some. Showed him contesting a number of passes - knocking down a number of others - plus he showed good aggression coming forward to contest passes and/or make tackles.

At this juncture - I'm looking for a year 1 starter. Is DSjr the best we can do? I dont know/cant say cause I've not researched it. If he's the best there at 29, then I'll take it - even though, I really dont like the height (which I freely admit is a bit odd given that JA's the same 5'10"). 

Right now - for me - that CB slot is top of the list.  Not that I think our OL is in real great shape.

Current key words (for me):  feels thin - even though - as you say - we're returning the vast majority of our starters - so - trying to keep a level head about things.

Perhaps GB should open up a GoFundMe page and solicit cash. We are a public entity no?   :)

Watching film, he plays closer to 4.50 than 4.45. Think he has ok coverage skills, just not near the athlete J Alexander is.