2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I'm not keen on picking a center in the first either but I got a top 20 grade on Humphrey so he very well could be BPA when we pick. I fail to see how picking an immediate impact center is any worse than picking a WR or ILB like others have mentioned here.

Those would suck too

Just now, cannondale said:

Those would suck too

In a perfect world someone at a premium position will be there but that's not very likely. I'd rather take someone I'm sold on instead of reaching on a tackle or DL who might be there at the end of round 2 anyway.

Just now, Rodjahs12 said:

In a perfect world someone at a premium position will be there but that's not very likely. I'd rather take someone I'm sold on instead of reaching on a tackle or DL who might be there at the end of round 2 anyway.

It's pretty likely an OT or CB will be there that's worthy at 29. It's not always about BPA in a vacuum

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's pretty likely an OT or CB will be there that's worthy at 29. It's not always about BPA in a vacuum

Depends who specifically you like at those positions and where you have them going. Guys like Cosmi are going to be long gone if teams aren't worried about his nonexistent anchor or Slater's length for example. It seems many here want to believe what you're saying, but I'm not convinced.

As for corner, chalk me up as less than excited to use yet another pick in the secondary especially after extending King. Round 2 or 3 sure.

Edited by Rodjahs12

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Waaayyyy too early for a center.  I like some of the centers, cuz I think they can also play all 5 positions, but we really do not need that.  We just need a center.  There are enough in this draft to choose from.

Center in the first would be a real tough pill to swallow.  

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

I don't pretend to know the draft but usually the top 15-20 are set.  Likely 5 QBs that should be in that group this year, then you get to the top prospect OL and CB, with probably a few WR, Edge and TE maybe RB.   If the CB and OT group is as deep as reported, someone with a high grade should be there at 29.  Whether Gute thinks it's a guy worthy of a 1st, we'll see. 

If the field is seen as pretty equal with good depth, a trade back into the 2nd might be the play.  Every draft is big but Gute will need to pulloff a good one after last year's redundancy (that could still pan out) and the most boring FA in the league.

8 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Based on what?

David has been in the league forever. If you only become a difference maker when a strong DL is put in front of you, you're not a difference maker. 

I guess define "difference maker." David has been a great player his entire career, but you try winning games in the NFL with Jameis Winston and Josh Freeman, among other losers, at QB. It's still a QB driven league. 

Go watch the SB and tell me the way David and White played against Kelce and co. didn't make a "difference" in the game. David was spectacular one-on-one against the TE who had the best single-season in TE history. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I guess define "difference maker." David has been a great player his entire career, but you try winning games in the NFL with Jameis Winston and Josh Freeman, among other losers, at QB. It's still a QB driven league. 

Go watch the SB and tell me the way David and White played against Kelce and co. didn't make a "difference" in the game. David was spectacular one-on-one against the TE who had the best single-season in TE history. 

Lavonte David defenses in points allowed per game:

23rd

21st

25th

26th

15th

22nd

31st

29th

8th

One of these things is not like the others. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lavonte David defenses in points allowed per game:

23rd

21st

25th

26th

15th

22nd

31st

29th

8th

One of these things is not like the others. 

So the expectation is that the primary areas of concern have all been addressed.  We have three, maybe 4 players on the line who have had elite seasons.  We have four players in the secondary capable of elite seasons.

You’re right, difference maker was the wrong word.  Everyone knows I agree with you.

However, an ILB when we’re picking this low could be that proverbial X Factor.  Gjam

If there is an OT, DL, DB, or even WR that could have an immediate impact, you take that player without hesitation and hope Barnes and/or Martin become the guy there at ILB.

My point isn’t and never was the position.  My point was no help is coming from free agency.  Rodgers counts 20% against the cap.  No QB has ever won getting paid 13% of the cap (legally).

If we are remotely serious about getting past the Championship game, we need immediate contribution from both of our first two picks or we have not a chance in hell.

Bill Huber / SI -  Green Bay Packers general manager Brian Gutekunst was in attendance for Alabama’s pro day on Tuesday.

Christian Barmore, in particular, put on a show. At 6-foot-4 and 310 pounds, he ran his 40 in 4.93 seconds, according to Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy. He is coming off a season in which he recorded eight sacks and three forced fumbles. According to Pro Football Focus, he had 12 pressures in the two playoff games. Green Bay could use a playmaking defensive tackle to pair with Kenny Clark.

19 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I think there's a realistic chance center is the pick at 29 if Humphrey is there.

I'd put it at less than 1% chance that the Packers take a C at 29.  I was surprised when they took Elgton Jenkins at 44.