2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

20 minutes ago, Joe said:

I thought they would trade Jimmy G, but once New England resigned Cam I knew they'd wait for Jimmy's contract to expire. Note the type of talent Bill's been bringing in during this offseason. I'm willing to bet Bill drafts a bunch of defensive players and a bunch of dudes that don't look sexy on paper, but it all comes together when Jimmy G heads back to New England next year.

Far as I can see all options on Jimmy G are wide open. 

They could put him on the street today - his dead cap is tiny - but I'm figuring they want him around for at least this year. He'll be Alex Smith to Mahomes of a few years ago - or - AR to Love now.

With that roster, I'm thinking they're in "win now" mode and will start Jimmy G till next year.

Add on edit - looks like they're some 17M over the cap now. So unless they need cash to sign a bunch of top talent now - they'll let his contract ride.

Edited by Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Nothing's ever guaranteed - for any team.
However, as I heard it explained makes sense.....

1. They've a starting QB they're not sold on and who they would prefer not keeping beyond this contract.

2. They've quite a few of first rounders / high draft picks who's contracts will be coming due in the next few years. 

3. This is said to be a good year for college QB. Next year (Jimmy G's last contract year before going UFA) - not as much.

4. So - why not "pull a Packers" (?) and draft the heir apparent QB while you still have your starter?  In other words, (hopefully) keep winning. 

Then you dump Jimmy - which leaves you with your cheaper / uber talented "new franchise QB" - plus cash to pay the rest of the roster.

Now - will the QB they select become the next best thing?

See above: nothing's ever guaranteed  -  but  - they've laid the groundwork to get rid of the most expensive player (they dont want anyway) - sign their top talent during a period of cap expansion and not have to assign mountains of debt to the future. 

Ask me - it was a smart move.

They didn't pull a Packers. The Packers traded a Fourth. The 49ers traded away two Firsts and a Third to move up and draft arguably the highest bust position in the NFL. And arguably the third best prospect of the class at the highest rated bust position. 

But most of all - was just wondering if there was ever a time when it succeeded

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cannondale said:

They didn't pull a Packers. The Packers traded a Fourth. The 49ers traded away two Firsts and a Third to move up and draft arguably the highest bust position in the NFL. And arguably the third best prospect of the class at the highest rated bust position. 

But most of all - was just wondering if there was ever a time when it succeeded

Geeez. It was just an off the cuff phrase. Didnt realize it had to stand up to in depth analysis  :)

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

LIS, he won't be there, but if he is there the value is there and the positional value is there even if the positional need isn't there.  I just don't see how Jordan is the BPA, and I definitely don't see the need here.  Think this is where you're looking for one of those "value" CBs.  You're probably not finding a starting-caliber OT here.  Don't get me wrong, that's probably the right place for Wilson to go but he was so bad this year.  We were talking about him as a FRP a year ago, and now we're talking about him being a potential Day 3 pick.  Saying Wade sucks is probably an overstatement, but he's a pure slot CB.  There's just not the physical tools to be a boundary CB.  You watch him play last year, and his mouth made more waves then his actual play did.  He's a pure slot CB for me.

actually, after watching this, I have done a complete 180 on Wade.  That was awful.  

16 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

actually, after watching this, I have done a complete 180 on Wade.  That was awful.  

I think some of the early stuff in this video is on the DC in regards to coverage schemes and Wade did make a couple nice plays. Still, he was easily blocked, took poor angles for tackles, and got turns around several times.

I wasn't high on him before so I still say no thank you.

25 minutes ago, Joe said:

I think some of the early stuff in this video is on the DC in regards to coverage schemes and Wade did make a couple nice plays. Still, he was easily blocked, took poor angles for tackles, and got turns around several times.

I wasn't high on him before so I still say no thank you.

I mean, his mouth wrote checks his play couldn't cash.  He was legitimately running his mouth game-after-game and he got burnt.  Repeatedly.  There's a fine line between cockiness and confidence, and he crosses it all the time.

• Like 1

Aaron Nagler -    Zach Wilson is QB1 in this draft class.

• Andy Herman -   I’m probably not going to have enough time to study either of them to the extent that I feel comfortable stating one way or the other, but my initial eval on both left me feeling the same way.

///

So much for that guy from Clemson.

On 3/27/2021 at 1:26 PM, MantyWrestler said:

I think your a little harsh about Little’s run blocking. Is he a power guy, no but we run more of a zone scheme and his athleticism works for that. Not my first pick at OT but a pretty good prospect. 

In that mock, he's a fourth rounder.  I'd be doing back flips for him in the fourth.  You don't find LT size with feet like that in the fourth.  And he looks to have a good football brain considering how quickly he diagnoses stunts and blitzes.

I've watched about 3 games worth of Little.  He's not lacking anything in the run game when you consider the FACT that he's a left tackle.  He's got the feet, balance and length.  If you are fine with how Bakh run blocks, you will be fine with how Little does it as well.  Now, if you want a RT?  Yah, he's no mauler.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

UNC has some of my favorite skills players in this draft.

I feel like Dyami Brown may be one of the best fits at WR for the Packers in this entire draft but I don't see him as a player worthy of 29 and one that will certainly be gone by 62. 

21 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I feel like Dyami Brown may be one of the best fits at WR for the Packers in this entire draft but I don't see him as a player worthy of 29 and one that will certainly be gone by 62. 

Brown might be there at 62. At least 8 WRs above him. Then it's personal preference between him and guys like St. Brown, Nico Collins, Tylan Wallace, Amari Rodgers, Elijah Moore, Eskridge, etc...

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Brown might be there at 62. At least 8 WRs above him. Then it's personal preference between him and guys like St. Brown, Nico Collins, Tylan Wallace, Amari Rodgers, Elijah Moore, Eskridge, etc...

Who are the 8? You got Chase, Smith, Waddle, Bateman, Toney and Marshall. After that you have Moore (who at 5'7" is a niche player more than a WR). You putting Tutu up there? 

It's a weird year full of really short guys, who GB traditionally doesn't draft. If WR is in play at 62, I think your group (assuming they are there) are pretty much: Collins, Brown, St. Brown and Wallace. Collins tested like Gute's wet dream at 6'4". Personally, I'd like a guy who fits more of the Adams/Jennings mold and that's Brown or Wallace. 

Yeah I had Moore. So seven, not eight, thought those are the "for sure" guys to me. LIS I wouldn't grill you for having Dyami at 8 ahead of all those other guys, or if you had all of those guys above him. That's the tier he's in. Personal preference this year for sure. Lot of body types.