2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

Ben Fennell -   Top 4 Short Shuttle Times this Pro Day circuit

RB Michael Carter - UNC 3.98
WR JaMarr Chase - LSU 3.99
WR Elijah Moore - Ole Miss 4.00
DB Avery Williams - Boise St 4.00

Start/Stop, Burst/Acceleration - some put more value into this translating to the field than other tests!

Ben Fennell -   LB Buddy Johnson of @AggieFootball is an excellent run defending LB

Good take-on ability vs OL/TE, can pop & get off blocks. Agile to scrape/run-and-chase on 2nd level well too. And can knock you off your feet in a phone booth! Just don’t know what to do with him on 3rd down.

Good workout today. Tested his *** off via Jim Nagy.

6004 229 4.57
Vertical 38.5"
Broad 10'8"

557 Special Teams Snaps. He is morphing into a 'high floor' type of LB prospect

On 4/7/2021 at 2:12 AM, persiandud said:

If Cincy watched Burrow tear his ACL and drafts Chase/Pitts over Sewell that's malpractice 

I get the appeal of selecting JaMarr Chase for the Bengals, I really do.  But it has to be an OT there.

On 4/7/2021 at 7:08 AM, Outpost31 said:

There will always be skill position nobodies who turn into somebody through draft and develop, but the elite EDGE/DB/DL talents aren't frequently found 3-7. 

What elite EDGE or DL are available this year?

20 hours ago, Victor1124 said:

Yea, but kicking Jonah Williams inside would help the interior and it would be hard to pass up on Sewell if they think he is that good of a prospect at LT. Seems like they could flip that oline around pretty quickly. They do need a couple pass catchers though but I would wait until the second or third if Sewell is there in the first. 

Their WR corps isn't bad.  Tyler Boyd is in Y2 of a 4 year, $43M extension and they took Tee Higgins last year 33rd overall.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Big no to Rousseau, he tested quite poorly.

I think that is a little misleading. Rousseau is not the kind of Edge that is going to bend the corner, just not build that way. A little comparison here. 

Z. Smith - 6'04.4" at 274# ran a 4.83/40 with a 1.74 10 yard split - 4.66 SS and 7.42 3-cone

Rousseau - 6'06.6" at 266# ran a 4.68/40 with a 1.57 10 yard split - 4.53 SS and 7.50 3-cone 

Rousseau scored a 7.74 RAS, hardly poor testing. As Edge players I would guess that Paye and Basham are probably slightly higher on the Packers board, but I don't believe that Rousseau at 29 can be ruled out either. Very young player with a lot of upside and the Packers have history of drafting younger players. I would not be disappointed with him as the pick. 

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What elite EDGE or DL are available this year?

I don’t honestly know.  I literally have not paid any attention to the draft at all this year.  My heart just isn’t in it, and I was shocked it’s already April.

I couldn’t tell you 5 names in this draft without looking them up.

I take it by your question this draft is really light on EDGE/DL talent?

Is it good in DB/ILB/OT/WR talent?

Asking for the Packers at 29.

As far as you quoting me, are you suggesting there’s NOBODY at 5 projected to be a top 5 pick at EDGE/DL/OT?

I think it’s time I look into the prospects a little bit.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I take it by your question this draft is really light on EDGE/DL talent?

Yes.  DL class is pretty rough at the top.  Some solid Day 2 prospects, but no impact players.  EDGE isn't much better.  Probably deeper, but not very top heavy.  There's no elite EDGE prospect this year.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Yes.  DL class is pretty rough at the top.  Some solid Day 2 prospects, but no impact players.  EDGE isn't much better.  Probably deeper, but not very top heavy.  There's no elite EDGE prospect this year.

Looks like Paye is considered the top, yeah?

Also looks like it’s a CB heavy draft as well as OT.

If I’m the Bengals, I’m counting on Joe being that guy who gets by with less.

Take the OT to protect him, or take a CB to get started on th defense, then go IOL/OT/WR in 2.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Is it good in DB/ILB/OT/WR talent?

Solid CB class.  Not amazing, but not bad.  Probably par for the course.  ILB is okay, nothing special.  Probably a few players at the top that are scheme specific.  Strong OT class, very strong.  WR is probably a touch behind last year.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

As far as you quoting me, are you suggesting there’s NOBODY at 5 projected to be a top 5 pick at EDGE/DL/OT?

OT yes, EDGE and DL are a no for me.  I'm not sure other than Sewell who will finish with a top 10 grade for me at any of those premium positions.  Kwity Paye is probably the top ranked EDGE for me as a top 20 prospect, but he's kinda like Rashan Gary in a sense with limited production and strong measureables.  Christian Barmore came on late, but consistency isn't there.  Maybe a late Day 1 pick at best for me.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Looks like Paye is considered the top, yeah?

Also looks like it’s a CB heavy draft as well as OT.

If I’m the Bengals, I’m counting on Joe being that guy who gets by with less.

Take the OT to protect him, or take a CB to get started on th defense, then go IOL/OT/WR in 2.

Paye is probably by default the top EDGE.  But this is the Rashan Gary situation all over again.  And we know how majority of this board flipped out at that selection.  I'm with you on the taking an OT over WR at 5 for the Bengals. But if the board didn't have any OTs there, I would understand the Chase selection.

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes.  DL class is pretty rough at the top.  Some solid Day 2 prospects, but no impact players.

Sooooo....you's pass on Bardmore @29 - figuring he'd be gone by our second pick?

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Sooooo....you's pass on Bardmore @29 - figuring he'd be gone by our second pick?

Probably.  There's just no consistency with him.  If you watch the second half of the season, he's likely a top 16 pick.  You watch the first half, he's a late Day 2, early Day 3 prospect.

EDIT: I'm not even sure he's going to be available at 29.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Probably.  There's just no consistency with him.  If you watch the second half of the season, he's likely a top 16 pick.  You watch the first half, he's a late Day 2, early Day 3 prospect.

Okay. Thanks for that. I'm not watching much of anything this year. Just selectively picking the brains of others and will just take it as it comes. My viewing will be post draft on those we select. I have some positional preferences but thats about all.

57 minutes ago, R T said:

I think that is a little misleading. Rousseau is not the kind of Edge that is going to bend the corner, just not build that way. A little comparison here. 

Z. Smith - 6'04.4" at 274# ran a 4.83/40 with a 1.74 10 yard split - 4.66 SS and 7.42 3-cone

Rousseau - 6'06.6" at 266# ran a 4.68/40 with a 1.57 10 yard split - 4.53 SS and 7.50 3-cone 

Rousseau scored a 7.74 RAS, hardly poor testing. As Edge players I would guess that Paye and Basham are probably slightly higher on the Packers board, but I don't believe that Rousseau at 29 can be ruled out either. Very young player with a lot of upside and the Packers have history of drafting younger players. I would not be disappointed with him as the pick. 

Rousseau is built nothing like Z. He's not a guy that can kick your *** with a bull rush and play 3T in subpackage.

He better be able to bend and win with speed cause that's his game right now.

• Like 1