2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

That Kenny Clark pick was such a waste.  Stupid Packers.  Gary too.  They never learn.

If someone said that by the time Gary gets starter snaps he's gonna be wanting his $100m, which doesn't exactly make the Top 12 pick the best value in the world,  I certainly wouldn't argue. I still think Wilkins, Lawrence, Simmons or Sweat would have been the better pick. Especially with regard to positional value for this team the last 3 years

Edited by cannondale

36 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Considering how in we were "supposedly" at WR last year, I think we're discounting it as a fan base. We wanted Aiyuk last year (the motion "weapon" player that could have added another element and fix our return game). I wouldn't be surprised or disappointed if it is Toney, Amari Rodgers, or R Moore at 29.

At the end of the San Francisco game and the Tampa Bay game, I wasn't thinking "if only we had a guy to run orbit motions 4 times a game we would have won."

59 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If someone said that by the time Gary gets starter snaps he's gonna be wanting his $100m, which doesn't exactly make the Top 12 pick the best value in the world,  I certainly wouldn't argue. I still think Wilkins, Lawrence, Simmons or Sweat would have been the better pick. Especially with regard to positional value for this team the last 3 years

He’s been on the team two years and is under contract for three more.

35 minutes ago, deathstar said:

He’s been on the team two years and is under contract for three more.

And will most likely be behind Preston again this year. I don't count the 5th year option since it's pricey and barely a bargain anymore (from what I've heard). So it's pretty much what I said. He'll get starter snaps in his 4th year with his agent (who I think is himself) wanting his $100m. 

If someone wants to argue that the value was fine for a Top 12 pick, that's fine with me. I don't happen to think so and it's been beat to death already. I still take the DL 10 times out of 10 in that particular draft.

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

At the end of the San Francisco game and the Tampa Bay game, I wasn't thinking "if only we had a guy to run orbit motions 4 times a game we would have won."

Is that the only strategy involved in drafting? Only taking a guy to help the biggest reason why you lost the last game?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

And will most likely be behind Preston again this year. I don't count the 5th year option since it's pricey and barely a bargain anymore (from what I've heard). So it's pretty much what I said. He'll get starter snaps in his 4th year with his agent (who I think is himself) wanting his $100m. 

If someone wants to argue that the value was fine for a Top 12 pick, that's fine with me. I don't happen to think so and it's been beat to death already. I still take the DL 10 times out of 10 in that particular draft.

Gary will get more snaps than Preston this year, he would have to regress a ton for that not to happen. Ideally both are good and there's a healthy rotation which is a win/win.

15 hours ago, cannondale said:

Being able to use hindsight and still coming up with this is bad.

Lawrence and Wilkins are run plugs, never is that worth a top 12 pick.

Sweat was a medical red for us for sure.

Simmons was potentially a medical and character red.

It really comes down to Gary or Burns as realistic options. Burns definitely got a better start out of the gate, but we'll see by the end of their deals who was a better pick.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Just because you subscribe to the BPA concept doesn't mean positional values aren't taken into account.  Let's say your draft board has a RB and an EDGE as your top two highest graded players.  How do you decide which position you take?  Based purely on positional value, you'd take the EDGE since it's a "more valuable" position.  But what happens if the RB class is really, really top heavy with no real depth to it, and the EDGE class is significantly deeper where you believe you can get a starting-caliber EDGE in Rounds 2 or 3?  Do you still take EDGE over a RB in R1, or do you take the RB instead?  Anyone who tries to wrap up these discussions in a nice, even bow is fooling themselves.  There's multiple variables involved.

But then it is no longer the pure best player. There's a gradient. Gradients create values. 100% what I'm saying that it isn't black and white. I think we've seen that we'll lean to positions that aren't RB even if it's not deep, in round 1. When the pick isn't EDGE there's still a more valuable position on the board, there's never not. Part of the low value of RB is that you can find them easily all over the draft. You can find Guards deeper in the drafts, etc. so it would be poor value to grab one of those in the first. The Packers have shown that unless you believe it's the biggest coincidence ever that they haven't grabbed one of those in the first.

20 hours ago, R T said:

By the time the draft happens the Packers will not have a need on their roster which allows them to draft the BPA, period. I stated this last year and was met with much discontent about the WR and DL positions, yet the Packers drafted no WR's or DL's and added none in FA after the draft. Because fans and media dream up 'needs' doesn't mean the FO is a prisoner of the same thoughts.  

You definitely weren't the only one that expected the Packers would shy away from those picks. You can assume youre the smartest person in the forum, that's okay, can't wait to see your draft game prediction.

13 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

You definitely weren't the only one that expected the Packers would shy away from those picks. You can assume youre the smartest person in the forum, that's okay, can't wait to see your draft game prediction.

My bad, didn't mean to step on the toes of someone as sage as yourself. I'll get back over here in my lane and patiently wait for your next blessing of brilliants. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Being able to use hindsight and still coming up with this is bad.

Lawrence and Wilkins are run plugs, never is that worth a top 12 pick.

Sweat was a medical red for us for sure.

Simmons was potentially a medical and character red.

It really comes down to Gary or Burns as realistic options. Burns definitely got a better start out of the gate, but we'll see by the end of their deals who was a better pick.

It's not hindsight. My views were pretty well documented on wanting a DL in that draft. I even spoke about what I thought was a huge positional blunder - signing Smithx2 - Daniels walks - and drafting another Edge instead of DL. Was I right ? I still think I was. And a run plug would have come in handy 2 years ago. Or any year for that matter

Edited by cannondale

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

It's not hindsight. My views were pretty well documented on wanting a DL in that draft. I even spoke about what I thought was a huge positional blunder - signing Smithx2 - Daniels walks - and drafting another Edge instead of DL. Was I right ? I still think I was. And a run plug would have come in handy 2 years ago. Or any year for that matter

You can get good run plugs in the 3rd-7th rounds.

• Like 1

You probably know how much the Packers absolutely LOVE high RAS score players..........maybe more than any other team in the draft. Cheesehead TV put out a list of the highest scorers, Here it is (I added two fringe players who scored a perfect 10).

CB

Marco Wilson, Florida, 9.99
Paulson Adebo, Stanford, 9.56
Jaycee Horn, South Carolina, 9.99
Eric Stokes, Georgia, 9.38
Nate Hobbs, Illinois, 9.61
Zech McPhearson, Texas Tech, 9.56
Patrick Surtain II, Alabama, 9.96
Brandon Stephens, Southern Methodist, 9.20
Jason Pinnock, Pittsburgh, 9.78
Ifeatu Melifonwu, Syracuse, 9.70
Jeremy Bell, Charleston, 9.64
Greg Newsome, Northwestern, 9.66

S

Jevon Holland, Oregon, 9.54
James Wiggins, Cincinnati, 9.70
Caden Sterns, Texas, 9.59
Darrick Forrest, Cincinnati, 9.69

Edge 

Jayson Oweh, Penn State, 9.92
Joe Tryon, Washington, 9.30
Kwity Paye, Michigan, 9.34
Carlos Basham, Wake Forest, 9.39
Elerson Smith, Northern Iowa, 9.72
Jaelan Phillips, Miami, 9.87
Joseph Ossai, Texas, 9.49
Josh Kaindoh, Florida State, 9.59
Payton Turner, Houston, 9.74
Janarius Robinson, Florida State, 9.33
William Bradley-King, Baylor, 9.17

LB

Nick Niemann, Iowa, 9.51
Jamin Davis, Kentucky, 9.93
Buddy Johnson, Texas A&M, 9.22
Curtis Robinson, Stanford, 9.23
Baron Browning, Ohio State, 9.98
Pete Werner, Ohio State, 9.52

IDL

Milton Williams, Louisiana Tech, 9.96
TaQuon Graham, Texas, 9.68
Jonathan Marshall, Arkansas, 9.99
Bobby Brown, Texas A&M, 9.82

QB

Feleipe Franks, Arkansas, 9.56

OT

Spencer Brown N.Iowa 10.00
Tommy Doyle, Miami (OH), 9.90
Teven Jenkins, Oklahoma State, 9.74
Brady Christensen, BYU, 9.84
Dillon Radunz, North Dakota State, 9.28
Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, 9.71
Samuel Cosmi, Texas, 9.99
Landon Young, Kentucky, 9.17

IOL

Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma, 10.0
Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater, 9.98
Drew Dalman, Stanford, 9.80
Chandon Herring, BYU, 9.84
Sadarius Hutcherson, South Carolina, 9.89
Ben Cleveland, Georgia, 9.63
Trey Smith, Tennessee, 9.91
Jordan Meredith, Western Kentucky, 9.35
Kendrick Greene, Illinois, 9.25

RB

Kene Nwangwu, Iowa State, 9.89
Jake Funk, Maryland, 9.76
Nathan McCrary, Saginaw Valley, 9.41
Travis Etienne, Clemson, 9.14
Elijah Mitchell, Louisiana, 9.51

WR

Brandon Smith, Iowa, 9.16
Nico Collins, Michigan, 9.56
Jacob Harris, Central Florida, 9.88
Michael Strachan, Charleston, 9.22
Jalen Camp, Georgia Tech, 9.75
Tarik Black, Texas, 9.55
Simi Fehoko, Stanford, 9.18
Terrace Marshall, LSU, 9.76
BJ Emmons, Florida Atlantic, 9.2

TE

Sammis Reyes International 10.00
Kyle Pitts, Florida, 9.64
Brock Wright, Notre Dame, 9.20

All RAS scores are here https://relativeathleticscores.com/2021/01/23/2021-draft-class-ras/

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 3