2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

I like this. I think I watched one last year but I've watched them all now, well on OL. 

Doesn't go straight with the norm but he doesn't feel like he's trying to hot take and feels like he's definitely about to explain why he feels the way he does where other guy's opinions sometimes feel so damn generic

I didn't hate it and you may well be right that I'm too cynical. Not having Jaycee Horn or Asante Samuel, Jr. in your top 6 CB's or Rashod Bateman in the top 6 WR seems like hot takes to me. Or claiming Safety Ar'darius Washington from TCU at 5'8" and 176 pounds and ran a 4.62/40 is a potential 1st round pick, yet his teammate who many rate as the top safety in the draft can't make his top 6. Some may view those as hot takes, but then again I am a bit cynical.    

5 hours ago, packfanfb said:

What's a Chris Simms?

He will be a GM whithin the next decade. 

Market down.

Someone is going to hand him the keys to a kingdom.

He's relatively smart and his PR skills are there. It's gonna happen. 

I don't think he'll be exceptional but it'll happen. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

He will be a GM whithin the next decade. 

Market down.

Someone is going to hand him the keys to a kingdom.

He's relatively smart and his PR skills are there. It's gonna happen. 

I don't think he'll be exceptional but it'll happen. 

Or he'll go to FS1 and become the next Mike Mayock there first...

4 hours ago, Norm said:

I like this. I think I watched one last year but I've watched them all now, well on OL. 

Doesn't go straight with the norm but he doesn't feel like he's trying to hot take and feels like he's definitely about to explain why he feels the way he does where other guy's opinions sometimes feel so damn generic

Yeah I like Simms.  He watches tons of film rather than reading bottom of the barrell amateur **** like The Draft Network and regurgitating it.

2 hours ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Yeah I like Simms.  He watches tons of film rather than reading bottom of the barrell amateur **** like The Draft Network and regurgitating it.

I like what he sees in Mond. Not A I'm fan myself but I get it. He sold my there. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Joe said:

I referenced an article the other day in which Gutey seemed to be pretty happy with the CB room after bringing King back. That said, the same article suggested that Gutey is going to use this draft to wheel-n-deal with picks in order to move around for specific players. I'm wondering if he'll work out a deal with a team like Jacksonville who has multiple picks within the first 15 picks of the 2nd round(33 and 45) and multiple picks on the top half of the 4th round(106, 130). I'd be more than happy to draft Samuel at 29 and then trade our 2nd, a 5th, and swap picks 92 and 106 for 33 and draft Jenkins/Radunz/best OT at 33. Heck, we may be able to be lucky enough to trade 29 and 62 for 33 and 45(maybe pick up pick 130) respectively and still hit our marks. Just an idea.

Turning 29/62 into 33/45 is probably highly unlikely.  Have to imagine there'd be a number of teams ahead of the Packers who would likely be interested in that kind of deal.  But I do agree about the wheeling and dealing.  If there's one thing that you can say is definitively different then TT is that Gute is more proactive about getting his guys.  Where as TT was going to let the ball fall to him.  Outside of the 2012 draft, which the Packers uncharacteristically traded up twice, the Packers have only traded up twice (Morgan Burnett in 2010, Clay Matthews in 2019) in the first 3 rounds of the draft under Ted Thompson.  The Packers have traded up in 3 straight years, including three in the first round with Jordan Love, Darnell Savage, and Jaire Alexander.

2020 (Jordan Love): #30 (620), #136 (38) for #26 (700)
2019 (Darnell Savage): #30 (620), #114 (66), #118 (58) for #21 (800)
2018 (Jaire Alexander): #27 (680), #76 (210), #186 (15.4) for #18 (900), #248 (1)

11 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Except Winfield had the build to play all over the defense. Samuel doesn't. He's an inch taller but 25 lbs. lighter than Winfield. He's 15 lb. lighter than Alexander. Samuel's size limitations probably make him a slot-only and I don't see the elite cover skills that would justify spending a 1st round pick on a part-time player. 

If GB's interest is genuine, its likely with an eye towards the 2nd round or later. Samuel at 29 would be a reach, particularly with several quality every-down CB's likely still be available. 

One is also viewed as a pure safety prospect, and the other is viewed as a CB-only prospect.  Not sure trying to compare them is valid.  And I'm not sure what makes Samuel a reach at 29.  I think he's in that second tier of CB prospects after Farley (medical concerns), Surtain, and Horn.

7 hours ago, Norm said:

I like what he sees in Mond. Not A I'm fan myself but I get it. He sold my there. 

I don't pretend to know which QBs are going to be great and which ones won't, but I definitely trust Simms' evals over most.  He knows what he's talking about there and he's been pretty spot on in the past.  He's going to get some wrong obviously and he freely admits to that, but more often than not he's right when it comes to QBs.  I haven't looked back at past draft evals to know his track record with other positions so I don't know how good he is at those, but I like that he trusts his eyes rather than the chatter from the draft heads.

Edited by MaximusGluteus

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

One is also viewed as a pure safety prospect, and the other is viewed as a CB-only prospect.  Not sure trying to compare them is valid.  And I'm not sure what makes Samuel a reach at 29.  I think he's in that second tier of CB prospects after Farley (medical concerns), Surtain, and Horn.

I have seen the national medias thought on who the second tier of CB's are, but I think that second tier group varies a great deal from team to team based on scheme. Curious to know what some peoples thoughts are on what the second tier for the Packers might look like.   

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

First...I'm not arguing against ASJ for that second tier CB thing.  I do like him.

But, I'm curious.  Are you concerned about his RAS score?  And...do you think that Packers are?

ASJ's RAS score is 6.42.  Even Josh Jackson was 9.27.

I've watched a few minutes of his YouTube stuff.  I thought he would have scored much higher.  He looks twitchier/quicker or maybe that his instincts kicking in fast on the field.  Just curious about that.

Just to keep things in perspective regarding RAS

Zadarius Smith - 3.75

Davante Adams - 6.53

David Bakhtiari - 6.74

Kenny Clark - 7.56

Oren Burks - 9.72

Jason Spriggs - 9.78

Kendal Donnerson - 9.98

Kevin King - 9.95

Josh Jackson - 9.72

https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/12/31/green-bay-packers-ras-history/

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, R T said:

I have seen the national medias thought on who the second tier of CB's are, but I think that second tier group varies a great deal from team to team based on scheme. Curious to know what some peoples thoughts are on what the second tier for the Packers might look like.   

Again, just kinda depends on what you want in a CB.  Gute has drafted 3 CBs since he took over in 2018 with Jaire Alexander, Josh Jackson, and Ka'Dar Hollman.  But Jaire was also shorter then the "CB standard" that Gute got from TT, and Gute even said it himself that he was willing to go outside his comfort zone because Jaire played bigger/longer than he tested.  Does that apply to Samuel?  Possibly.  If Surtain/Horn are on the board at 29 (which I don't think they will), there's little doubt in my mind they'd likely be the pick at 29.  I think you're more likely looking at someone like Paulson Adebo, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Eric Stokes, and Aaron Robinson as CB targets on Day 2.

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

First...I'm not arguing against ASJ for that second tier CB thing.  I do like him.

But, I'm curious.  Are you concerned about his RAS score?  And...do you think that Packers are?

ASJ's RAS score is 6.42.  Even Josh Jackson was 9.27.

I've watched a few minutes of his YouTube stuff.  I thought he would have scored much higher.  He looks twitchier/quicker or maybe that his instincts kicking in fast on the field.  Just curious about that.

There's been players that the Packers have drafted that have had a sub-8.0 RAS score as well.  Jace Sternberger (5.20), Cole Madison (4.58), and Jake Hanson (3.75) were mediocre athletes according to RAS, but Gute still took them.  It seems that Gute either uses RAS or something very similar to it.  Remember the comments about the Sternberger athletic testing?  He said that they timed him better then what the reported numbers were.  It's not impossible that the Packers tested him better then what is reported, or that the Packers are willing to go outside their thresholds for him.  But I do think it's far more likely they'd take him in the second round then the first round.

• Like 1