2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

Just now, OneTwoSixFive said:

Now ask a second question. "Do the Packers know yet what they have in Love" ? I don't think they do. So in that circumstance you wait until you have a good idea of how Love will turn out. THEN you decide what to do with him.

I think they've got an idea.  The notion that Love is just sitting around holding a clipboard needs to die.

• Like 1

The Jordan Love trade thing is totally a made up thing.  We are all clear about that.

Now we are debating the "what ifs" and doing it while in "funnsies" mode.

That being clear....GB has perceived egg on it's face for drafting Love.  Key word, perceived.

Rodgers wants an extension.  Rodgers wants security.  GB has not been willing to give it yet, though they did want to re-do part of his deal.  This is known.

I believe that GB is never this quick to admit to a mistake.  The mistake in this hypothetical situation is the drafting of Love.  If they give Rodgers and extension, it's admitting a mistake.  If they simply trade Love, it is admitting a mistake.

The way out?  Include Love as part of a package deal like this.  GB can say it was an offer they couldn't refuse.  They can say glowing things about Love and state how they would not have gotten "insert draft pick's name here" without giving up Love.

It is a way to get out from under the mess cleanly.  Then the issue is simply the compensation that you get for Love.  If there is a stud CB sitting there in the first, and we can go get him by including Love, I feel that is worth it.  But the club needs to find another backup.  And we are right back at the point of probably drafting a QB for the future in the next year or two of the draft.

So it creates a large circle.

Highly unlikely trade given what the end result would be in a year or two.

16 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Ask the question "Why did the Packers draft Love" ?  If you spend a first round pick on a QB you want him to be QB of the future pretty much every single time.

Now ask a second question. "Do the Packers know yet what they have in Love" ? I don't think they do. So in that circumstance you wait until you have a good idea of how Love will turn out. THEN you decide what to do with him.

This is all fair, but you're missing the third question...How does Rodgers' 2020 MVP season change the narrative? 

I have long maintained that if the Packers had a crystal ball back in April 2020 and could have foreseen that Rodgers was going to go all 2011 on the rest of the NFL and dominate, the Packers never would have drafted Love. I still believe that today. So...now that 12's MVP season actually happened, has the narrative changed? If so, you have to at least be looking at scenarios that don't involve Love being part of the Packers' future.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

From Green Bay's perspective, if you were to take Jordan Love in the first round and spend a year developing him only to turn him around and get SRP in return for him, would that not be considered a loss on your investment? The reality is the Packers purposely didn't touch Rodgers' contract, which suggests that Love is the Packers future QB.  The only question is when?  Teams rarely move on from their FRP less than a year after taking the player.

Just in terms of an extension. Sounds like they were ready and willing to restructure it and push some of the cap hit into future years. I don't think that necessarily ends the discussion and we can anoint Love as the heir. The Packers probably didn't want to extend 12 with 3 years left on his deal anyways. The only reason why Rodgers is even fussing about it now is because of the Love pick. The Packers are going to wait and see how 2021 plays out. Love will get more reps, maybe even some game reps (at least preseason), and Rodgers gets another year to show that last year wasn't an anomaly in terms of his resurgence. We'll be having this same discussion next off-season, right up until the date the news breaks that Rodgers is either traded or extended. One of those is almost certain to happen in Feb/March 2022. 

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

This is all fair, but you're missing the third question...How does Rodgers' 2020 MVP season change the narrative? 

I have long maintained that if the Packers had a crystal ball back in April 2020 and could have foreseen that Rodgers was going to go all 2011 on the rest of the NFL and dominate, the Packers never would have drafted Love. I still believe that today. So...now that 12's MVP season actually happened, has the narrative changed? If so, you have to at least be looking at scenarios that don't involve Love being part of the Packers' future.   

I don't think 'the third question' changes anything. The Packers still wait to find out what they have in Love.

1) If Love is steadily becoming a good player, even if the Packers plan is to keep riding Rodgers, they will probably showcase Love in next years preseason and ask for more in any trade.

2) If Love looks like he isn't a starting level QB the Packers look to trade him for whatever they can get.

3) If the Packers plan becomes Love taking over from Rodgers, then he (Love) obviously isn't traded.

Whichever of the above three is the case, none involve a trade so early in Love's career.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:04 AM, vegas492 said:

The Jordan Love trade thing is totally a made up thing.  We are all clear about that.

Now we are debating the "what ifs" and doing it while in "funnsies" mode.

That being clear....GB has perceived egg on it's face for drafting Love.  Key word, perceived.

Rodgers wants an extension.  Rodgers wants security.  GB has not been willing to give it yet, though they did want to re-do part of his deal.  This is known.

I believe that GB is never this quick to admit to a mistake.  The mistake in this hypothetical situation is the drafting of Love.  If they give Rodgers and extension, it's admitting a mistake.  If they simply trade Love, it is admitting a mistake.

The way out?  Include Love as part of a package deal like this.  GB can say it was an offer they couldn't refuse.  They can say glowing things about Love and state how they would not have gotten "insert draft pick's name here" without giving up Love.

It is a way to get out from under the mess cleanly.  Then the issue is simply the compensation that you get for Love.  If there is a stud CB sitting there in the first, and we can go get him by including Love, I feel that is worth it.  But the club needs to find another backup.  And we are right back at the point of probably drafting a QB for the future in the next year or two of the draft.

So it creates a large circle.

Highly unlikely trade given what the end result would be in a year or two.

I feel like the fear to make or admit a mistake is probably a pretty rare trait at the upper ends of football ops.

• Like 1