2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

58 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I guess it depends where you look. McGinn is dropping his draft stuff (free) and whatever fans may think of him, I like that he gets quotes from scouts. I'll just drop his write up here. Same size as Linsley FWIW. Same arm length. Not sure 32" is short for a Center, so not understanding that quote. Sounds like it will depend on team's preferences.

Drew Dalman, Stanford (6-foot-3½, 299, 5.05, Round 3 or 4): The fourth-year junior from Salinas, Calif., made 22 starts from 2018 through 2020, including 20 at center and two at right guard.

“He’s a better player than Nick Harris when he came out of Washington last year,” one scout said. “Really good hands. Really good at the second level. His bugaboo will be short arms. He’ll wind up being a starter.”

Arms measured in at 32 inches. His hands (10½), however, were the largest among centers. At pro day, his shuttle runs and bench-press numbers were outstanding.

“He’s a Nick Hardwick-type player,” a second scout said. “Undersized, but really athletic.”

Father, Chris, started 64 games at center and guard for the San Francisco 49ers from 1994 to 1999.

“Small and quick, but not Jason Kelce-quick,” a third scout said. “He’s a good athlete. Great athlete? Nah. I think he’s going to have some problems. Good luck playing (against) Baltimore. Those 3-4 teams will put a heavy nose over him."

Where did you find his stuff free, I went to his twitter and tried to link and all I got was the subscribe button. 

Did another mock (dear God let the draft day come quickly). It was as good as any I've done (thedraftnetwork). 

DE Levi Onwuzurike
DT Tommy Togiai
CB Trill Williams
OT Walker Little
WR Ihmir Smith-Marsette
LB Charles Snowdon
CB Tay Gowan
WR Cornell Powell
G Sam Cooper
K Joe Borregales

2x O linemen, 2x D linemen, 2x WRs, 2x CBs, 1x LB, Ix K.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, R T said:

Where did you find his stuff free, I went to his twitter and tried to link and all I got was the subscribe button. 

I click on the OL or QB pics on his twitter feed and it takes me to the corresponding write ups

13 minutes ago, craig said:

McGinn writes for the Athletic.  I got subscription for it's baseball coverage, but it's nice getting McGinn's draft stuff.  His connection to real scouts is really awesome.  

Dude hits on a lot wrong with McGinn’s articles, not to mention they compare Fields to McNabb, Newton, and Winston.

9 hours ago, deathstar said:

Fields shares one thing in common with all three and it has nothing to do with his play on the field.

You are seeing things that you want to see.   All of them are very talented throwers, and have the ability to make plays with their feet.  All 3 made multiple pro bowls.

Who should have been the comps?  Who would have been a better match?

42 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

You are seeing things that you want to see.   All of them are very talented throwers, and have the ability to make plays with their feet.  All 3 made multiple pro bowls.

Well, apparently any QB that’s white and mobile so Aaron Rodgers? 😂

35 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

McNabb is a good comp to what he could be, but McNabb was much more of a runner coming out of college. Prescott is probably a very good comp for Fields right now. For those that are concerned about triggering the always racially sensitive crowd maybe Josh Allen, but I think Josh Allen is a great comp Trey Lance and not Fields. Maybe Dan Jones?    

What I like with McGinn's stuff is that he's polling scouts and getting comments from actual team scouts.  We can (perhaps rightfully) mock or disagree with stuff that scouts say.  But McGinn's process gets lots of scouts voting and ranking, so it helps to get a pretty good picture of the range of perceptions.  If each team has ≥dozen scouts, the league has >300 scouts.  Obviously they won't all see the same thing or have the same perceptions about a guy.  Likewise they won't always put those into words well, so some scout may put things into words poorly, whatever.  

Two cautions I have with McGinn's stuff:  Either many aren't including comments, or else McGinn is selecting quotes from those who do.  Those comments can color my perceptions, I think.  (Maybe one scout says Corsmi is pretty stiff; and that's what I read and remember; maybe 299 other scouts don't see that, but my perception is colored by that one scout's comment that McGinn included?  Or, maybe the scout was really only trying to say that he's too stiff to be a top-10 pick, to be a hall-of-famer; but maybe at pick 29 he's fine?  Beats me.). 

My other hesitation is that while there may be ≥300 pro scouts in the league, I don't know if McGinn's sources are necessarily representative?  Maybe he's only connected to older scouts?  Or maybe it's only youngish novice scouts who take the time?  Beats me.  

One of the things I like with McGinn's stuff, especially back when he'd share comments on each of the Packers selections, was how wide-ranging the perspectives were.  One guy thinks Linsley was really solid starter-prospect and 3rd-round worthy.  Another was meh, 7th round/UDFA/too-short.  Probably more scatter of perspective the further away you get from the top 30 guys.  

https://theathletic.com/2537509/2021/04/23/ranking-the-top-quarterbacks-in-the-2021-nfl-draft-bob-mcginns-grades-are-in/