2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

11 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have to agree with this.  Look at these videos.  Looks pretty similar to me.

I guess unless you can describe what makes them similar beyond being black and high picks in the draft your argument is pretty bad. Asking someone to see what you see when looking at these highlights is weird. 

42 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

BS.  There;s no room for your sensitivity on this board.  Stop seeing everything through a lens.  I wasnt gaslighting anything.   I happen to think they are good comps.   I do agree that Josh Allen is also a good comp.

Not sure what is wrong with being compared to some of the best QB's over the last decade.  If Jemarcus Russell was used as a comparison you woukd have a point.

I like Fields.  He would be QB 2, only after Lawrence IMO.

As far as overall skillsets go, Winston is probably closer Russell than any of those other guys? Idk why I'm arguing about this. I'm just mad nobody on the internet will take on my Kellen Mond ranking lol

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

As far as overall skillsets go, Winston is probably closer Russell than any of those other guys? Idk why I'm arguing about this. I'm just mad nobody on the internet will take on my Kellen Mond ranking lol

Haven't looked at Mond real close.  I would hope we aren't picking another QB

Were McNabb and Newton good QBs? Yeah. Is Fields a good QB? Yeah. But Fields succeeds in drastically different ways than those two QBs. Unless you can say WHY they’re similar other than being successful, it’s a surface level distinction that is open to scrutiny and ridicule.

6 minutes ago, deathstar said:

Were McNabb and Newton good QBs? Yeah. Is Fields a good QB? Yeah. But Fields succeeds in drastically different ways than those two QBs. Unless you can say WHY they’re similar other than being successful, it’s a surface level distinction that is open to scrutiny and ridicule.

I don't see where Fields is so different from Donovan McNabb.   How do they succeed differently?    

Both accomplish(ed) most of their success through the passing game.   Both very good athletes.  Both very good arm strength.  Both can make plays with there feet when they had to. Both got there teams into big games.   Both showed toughness staying in big games.

The comp between them is closer than the others you mention IMO.  Fields is a better prospect coming out than Allen.  Similar physically, but Fields has a much stronger record against strong competition, and a much better completion rate.  I don't think Watson is physically like Fields.  Coming out people were concerned that he might be fragile. That is a part of the reason he slid further than expected in the draft.   Beyond that, do you really want to be comparing other players to Watson right now?

The shutting down of conversation and constant need to find offense are what is toxic to a message board.  Looking for ways to see things at the surface level that might be open to scrutiny and ridicule is part of the problem.  How about we just talk sports, and leave the societal issues for other venues?  There are an abundance of places to have those discussions.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Haven't looked at Mond real close.  I would hope we aren't picking another QB

Oh not for us. I stopped caring about who we might take ages ago to prevent disappointment lol. So now I just watch QBs.

23 minutes ago, deathstar said:

I don't like the Cam one either but McNabb seems okay? Similar size, athleticism, arm talent. Fields might have a stronger arm there. Stylistically, I don't feel like Cam played anything like Fields did.

And I reserve the Josh Allen comp for Lance. Which I think is a better fit with the running prowess and amount of development they likely need/needed

9 minutes ago, Norm said:

I don't like the Cam one either but McNabb seems okay? Similar size, athleticism, arm talent. Fields might have a stronger arm there. Stylistically, I don't feel like Cam played anything like Fields did.

And I reserve the Josh Allen comp for Lance. Which I think is a better fit with the running prowess and amount of development they likely need/needed

IMO McNabb made dumber decisions and was less accurate. The comp I heard for Lance is McNair and I like that. I think he’s way more accurate and conservative than Allen coming out.

9 minutes ago, deathstar said:

IMO McNabb made dumber decisions and was less accurate. The comp I heard for Lance is McNair and I like that. I think he’s way more accurate and conservative than Allen coming out.

McNair works for sure. Did you ever see Mcnair in college though? JFC lol. He makes Lance look like a bum. I've never seen anything like that. I remember being at as sports bar with Alcorn St game on just being mesmerized. That might be THE most dominant college QB of all time. 

Edited by Norm

Does the past QB's from that Ohio State offense hurt the draft status of Fields? The past 12 years the QB's at Ohio State have been Terrelle Pryor, Joe Bauserman, Braxton Miller, JT Barrett, Cardale Jones, Dwayne Haskins and now Fields. All have been very good at running the college offense there with little to no success in the NFL. 

It could be similar to what Rodgers faced when he came out of Cal running the Tedford offense. So many of Tedford's QB's failed badly in the NFL and Rodgers got lumped right in with them and might of cost him going number 1 overall. Personally I don't blame NFL teams for being leery in those situations.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

McNair works for sure. Did you ever see Mcnair in college though? JFC lol. He makes Lance look like a bum. I've never seen anything like that. I remember being at as sports bar with Alcorn St game on just being mesmerized. That might be THE most dominant college QB of all time. 

Watching these highlights the dude is awesome.

• Like 1

Just now, deathstar said:

Watching these highlights the dude is awesome.

I think I might have a half hour documentary about his career on an external somewhere still that I always promised myself I would get online and always put off that was incredible. Just straight up video game stuff. One of the best college players I've ever seen, easily

• Like 1

I’m not calling anyone out on this board at all, nor do I want to start or really even continue a discussion that could easily get de-railed, but the funniest thing to me is that the McGinn scouts made the following comps: Dwayne Haskins, Terelle Pryor, Donovan McNabb, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston

I would say that between these 5 guys, there are at least 3 completely unique styles of quarterbacking. So to me it’s not that an individual comparison or 2 is necessarily lacking or biased, but to pull these 5 names in particular? Lol it’s incredibly lazy. I know the same scout isn’t using all 5 names, but you can’t tell me that you look at Fields and see Pryor. I’m sorry. Whichever of McGinn’s old McDonalds Coffee buddies said that to him had a little rum in that coffee. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Isherwood said:

I’m not calling anyone out on this board at all, nor do I want to start or really even continue a discussion that could easily get de-railed, but the funniest thing to me is that the McGinn scouts made the following comps: Dwayne Haskins, Terelle Pryor, Donovan McNabb, Cam Newton, Jameis Winston

I would say that between these 5 guys, there are at least 3 completely unique styles of quarterbacking. So to me it’s not that an individual comparison or 2 is necessarily lacking or biased, but to pull these 5 names in particular? Lol it’s incredibly lazy. I know the same scout isn’t using all 5 names, but you can’t tell me that you look at Fields and see Pryor. I’m sorry. Whichever of McGinn’s old McDonalds Coffee buddies said that to him had a little rum in that coffee. 

Haskins lol. Just as bad as Winston. Pryor is bad too but I think those others are worse.

Where are all these mcginn notes anyways? Were they linked somewhere. 

Edited by Norm