2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

I’ve been following the draft 20 years and maybe it is covid/state of roster, but this is definitely the least sure I’ve ever felt pre draft of where we’d go. Outside of QB, TE, and RB, I could legitimately see an argument for any position at 29. 

This years draft is going to be so weird as rankings even on draftnik boards is so random with little congruity. With lots of players not playing last year and no combine, I wonder if RAS scores become even more signficant, if that is even possible for the Packers...

The RAS scores are fun for fans, but no NFL teams are using RAS scores to make decisions. Teams have their own position specific set of analytics that they use and often excelling at those position specific drills will lead to a high score on Kent Lee Platte's RAS scoring system. Many positions the 40 time has little to no value in that positions evaluation, yet many fans lean on that time for years to come on why or why not their team should have drafted a player. Or not. 

I had read an article in the past year where the Rams were one of the teams that does not use the 40 time at all in evaluating a player, but in searching I couldn't find that article at this moment. I did find this one though and it is interesting. 

Analytics shifting views on 40-yard dash, other test results | theScore.com     

Ben Fennell -  18 personnel members surveyed, their top iDL:

Christian Barmore 12
Dayo Odeyingbo 3
Levi Onwuzurike 2
Milton Williams 1

Wonder what the draft stock of Dayo Odeyingbo would be without the Achilles injury (and maybe a dominant Senior Bowl week).

Ben Fennell -  Some favorite Day 2 CB/S for Packers

ZONE CORNERS
Asante Samuel Jr
Greg Newsome II
Paulson Adebo
Ifeatu Melifonwu
Tyson Campbell

C4/QUARTERS SAFETIES
Richie Grant
Divine Deablo
Talanoa Hufanga
Jacoby Stevens
Jamien Sherwood

I LOVE this group of 10 DBs. I also would not take ANY in the 1st Round

Saw a mock sounds about right.  Packers select Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in the 1st round.  He'll play star.  They pass up Barmore to get him.  Be par for the course.  Guy I want falls in our laps and they take a different player not on my radar.  Guess he's a hell of a player though.  After watching so many drafts you get used to it.  Packers make picks that I don't understand.  Then have to go back and try to understand why.  Remember when they picked Elton Jenkins.  Didn't see that coming.  Was like wtf.  Read up on him and was like OK he better be one hell of a player.  and he was...Mock drafts are fun used to do them myself.  Exercise in futility.  Might hit on one if you hit on two kudos.

1 hour ago, R T said:

The RAS scores are fun for fans, but no NFL teams are using RAS scores to make decisions. Teams have their own position specific set of analytics that they use and often excelling at those position specific drills will lead to a high score on Kent Lee Platte's RAS scoring system. Many positions the 40 time has little to no value in that positions evaluation, yet many fans lean on that time for years to come on why or why not their team should have drafted a player. Or not. 

I had read an article in the past year where the Rams were one of the teams that does not use the 40 time at all in evaluating a player, but in searching I couldn't find that article at this moment. I did find this one though and it is interesting. 

Teams may not use Kent's RAS score itself but we can't ignore that it's probably the single most accurate analytic (for fans and those outside the organization) in terms of predicting a team's draft preferences. It's not coincidence that like 22/25 of Gute's draft picks have been guys who I believe were 8.0 or better in RAS. So if Gute is using a different set of analytics, pretty safe to assume they are damn close to those we find in the RAS score.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R T said:

Point being atheletic freaks and 'high' character guys will be getting 'over drafted' due to a lack of tape and personal workouts. I think we are all going to get shocked how differently each team values these prospects. In most drafts there is some level of variance to what the draftniks think and the reality. This year I feel it will be wild.  I think we'll get a lot more 'what the heck' picks this year than ever before 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Teams may not use Kent's RAS score itself but we can't ignore that it's probably the single most accurate analytic (for fans and those outside the organization) in terms of predicting a team's draft preferences. It's not coincidence that like 22/25 of Gute's draft picks have been guys who I believe were 8.0 or better in RAS. So if Gute is using a different set of analytics, pretty safe to assume they are damn close to those we find in the RAS score.

Agree, basically what I said. Good explosion numbers for a DL player will lead to a good RAS score most times. Good agility numbers for a OL player will lead to a good RAS score most of the time. On the flip side, there are 171 players with a 8.00 score or better on on Mathbomb's site, but that does not mean that those 171 prospects are on the Packers board. Nor does it mean those under 8.00 are off their board. Having an understanding of which numbers are relevant for each position is what is important.     

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -  Some favorite Day 2 CB/S for Packers

ZONE CORNERS
Asante Samuel Jr
Greg Newsome II
Paulson Adebo
Ifeatu Melifonwu
Tyson Campbell

C4/QUARTERS SAFETIES
Richie Grant
Divine Deablo
Talanoa Hufanga
Jacoby Stevens
Jamien Sherwood

I LOVE this group of 10 DBs. I also would not take ANY in the 1st Round

Where’s Holland

• Like 1

Been following the draft a long time, cant remember a draft with more long names, and hyphenated names.  A true jersey makers nightmare.    Once in a while you got a Houshmandzadeh.  This year you need to buy a vowel on a lot of these.☺️