2021 NFL Draft Thread

ChaRisMa

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

if he's actually in the 160s at this point in his career he should be undraftable IMO

Now that is a pretty strong statement. I would think that some teams will view him as a Desean Jackson type, someone who can threaten a defense deep and with the ball in his hands as a returner. If a team knew they would get a Jackson like career they would be all in at that 10-15 range in the 1st round. Kind of where I think he will go.   

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Now that is a pretty strong statement. I would think that some teams will view him as a Desean Jackson type, someone who can threaten a defense deep and with the ball in his hands as a returner. If a team knew they would get a Jackson like career they would be all in at that 10-15 range in the 1st round. Kind of where I think he will go.   

Smith is 3 inches taller, 5 lb lighter and 1 year older than Desean was at his combine, too.

He's draftable, but no way am I taking a 6'+ 166 lb 22 year old WR in the first round...

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Smith is 3 inches taller, 5 lb lighter and 1 year older than Desean was at his combine, too.

He's draftable, but no way am I taking a 6'+ 166 lb 22 year old WR in the first round...

Jackson was 169 pounds at the combine and 5'9.3/4", I look at 6' being a positive in that he may add a little more weight as he matures. Whoever drafts him certainly needs a plan to maximize his skillset. I'm not crazy about little WR's either and would think long and hard before deciding on whether to draft one or not, but you and I are not making those decisions either.  

35 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

if he's actually in the 160s at this point in his career he should be undraftable IMO

What does adding 20 lbs to Smith change about his game? I get it - theoretically if you’re 180+ lbs you’re more durable? Stronger? Able to beat press better? But given what Smith can do and how he succeeds it’s hard to imagine those 20 lbs adding much to his game.

I get it - don’t bet on an outlier. But take players like Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce, theyre essentially his size and played in a more physical era.

Depends on the teams approach.  Does he fit in GB, probably not.  He'll fit in KC or AZ though.  Too much talent to dismiss him, agree on the mid-first range.  A lot depends on how you use him.

Edited by NFLGURU

Does the trend continue that the pick at #29 is someone the Packers haven't had a visit with (virtual would be the new "visit") or has covid sent that idea off the rails ??

There was a great thread a couple years ago listing all the guys drafted in the later rounds were from visits, but Round 1 stayed a secret

18 hours ago, deathstar said:

I understand this is college but blocking comes down to technique, effort, and strength. The dudes no Lazard but he’s not worthless.

TBH, it makes me question Stokes.  He is 25 lbs heavier than Smith, he should manhandle him.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

TBH, it makes me question Stokes.  He is 25 lbs heavier than Smith, he should manhandle him.

Like Cam Jordan should’ve manhandled Lazard last year but didn’t despite having 60 lbs on him.