Brice Butler needs more snaps/ targets

NoFlyZone

My bad if his has already been a point of discussion around here; I haven't really been around at all and only just logged in for the first time since the forums were updated. 

Anyway, how does everyone feel about Butler getting more opportunities in the offense? Maybe he needs to work on becoming more consistent, but he has absolutely shown some spectacular play making ability. Sometimes I have to do a double take and make sure it wasn't Dez who just made the play; that's the level of talent he has in my opinion. I get that pretty much every single pass catcher on the team is in a huge time share with the others, but Butler seems like someone who can really make defenses pay when they shift too much attention towards Dez and Witten. While I have absolutely nothing against how Terrance has played so far this season, I think Butler is an even better option to have on the field for any given passing play really.

Do you think we're going to see Butler getting more opportunities? If so, how do you think that happens? 

The thing is TWills ability to block. I know you said "any given pass play," Butler would be better, but on run plays TWill is better. Or even short passes like a screen that aren't designed for him.  Any type of blocking down field.

You would tip off the defense if Butler came in just for pass plays, where as TWill can be an every down WR who certainly isn't that far behind Butler in the pass game to warrant the other aspects of his game being overlooked.

Then there's Dez, Witten , and Beasley who all basically play different positions \roles.  If Brice is to get more snaps it has to come from TWill, and I believe that TWill gives you more versatility in your play selection/play disguise.  If Butler is on the field it is a pass play.  They even bring in Noah Brown to block on those PA roll outs. 

Right, I definitely agree with you on that, but then there is also a part of me that really wants to see the full extent of what Brice can do as a consistent threat in the passing game. If he can be a really, really effective number two receiver in the passing game and that leads to an even more lethal attack in that regard, do you sacrifice Terrance's versatility for the sake of that? Right now we don't necessarily know that he adds all that much of a consistent upgrade over what Terrance can do in the passing game, but the potential is there, and I'm personally kind of interested in seeing what he can do in a larger role.

Either way, I hope Dak can keep looking to him to make those "splash" type plays. 

DaBoys is 100% right  

Also a note to add, anyone can look good on a small sample size. Troy Hambrick averaged over 5 yards per carry as a changeup from Emmitt and was terrible when given the reigns, for example. Larger work load means all short comings become magnified - are you that confident in Butler? I am not.

He made aome great plays and flashes great ability, but notice every play he makes is done vertically? Ever notice its always on the edge of the field? Thats because he can win a one on one with size, speed, and athleticism. But when asked to run a competitive route tree, beat zones, and block down field he does not do so very well.

3 minutes ago, Dallas94Ware said:

He made aome great plays and flashes great ability, but notice every play he makes is done vertically? Ever notice its always on the edge of the field? Thats because he can win a one on one with size, speed, and athleticism. But when asked to run a competitive route tree, beat zones, and block down field he does not do so very well.

How much of that is him simply playing a role, though? I guess I'm just curious to see if that role can expand or not. Maybe he is in fact limited in this regard and that's why Terrance is the better option, but I'm curious to see if he can do more.

52 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

If he can be a really, really effective number two receiver in the passing game and that leads to an even more lethal attack in that regard, do you sacrifice Terrance's versatility for the sake of that? 

Yes.  There are several top tier elite WRs that aren't as good at blocking as TWill. I would take them over TWill.  

I guess, for now, I would need to see Butler be more consistent in the role he has. He had one game where he did everything he could with his limited looks.  To many times in the past I have seen him fail to make the play or flat out drop the pass(this year and last).  When you have limited looks your few plays are amplified. Your big plays are bigger and your mess ups seem messier. 

If he starts consistently maxing out his opportunities then sure, look at giving him more.  Until then, Butlers 90 yard game is the outlier.

Archived